Login

russian armor

Ostheer Sniper Op, When NERF ?

7 Jul 2015, 17:18 PM

Using fallsch to counter snipers is a great idea if you like having no man power.
7 Jul 2015, 17:22 PM

I like the 82 hp since stray mortars wiping a full health 360 mp unit is frustrating.

What needs to be changed is the snipers received accuracy. It currently dodges small arms like nothing, increase the received accuracy and now small arms can shit all over a sniper like it should.
7 Jul 2015, 17:25 PM
Patrion 14

Using fallsch to counter snipers is a great idea if you like having no man power.

Its map dependent, but I find it a great trade.

1) Pressure the snipers frontally with your volks.

2) Pop falls from retreat path

3) Start shooting at snipers (Snipers will either immediatly retreat or attempt to soft retreat to camo cover)

4) Enemy frontline shatters without the 720 mp snipers contributing, so the snipers are forced to retreat into the falls. Falls have great DPS at long range, and don't drop of as much as other units towards mid/ close range. Even with 2 falls down, you can easily murder the snipers before they reload.

Or, you can always get a fast luchs/ puma. Both can chase snipers down (vet 1 puma can also snipe the snipers back).
    7 Jul 2015, 17:28 PM

Its map dependent, but I find it a great trade.

1) Pressure the snipers frontally with your volks.

2) Pop falls from retreat path

3) Start shooting at snipers (Snipers will either immediatly retreat or attempt to soft retreat to camo cover)

4) Enemy frontline shatters without the 720 mp snipers contributing, so the snipers are forced to retreat into the falls. Falls have great DPS at long range, and don't drop of as much as other units towards mid/ close range. Even with 2 falls down, you can easily murder the snipers before they reload.

Or, you can always get a fast luchs/ puma. Both can chase snipers down (vet 1 puma can also snipe the snipers back).

Oh I know it's a thing that can work on Urban maps but suggesting Fallsch by themselves as a counter to snipers is dangerous because Fallsch can really bleed you hard. The way to go about countering snipers as OKW is to form your infantry into a V formation and lure them towards the center. Then flank with the units on the left and right which should be Obers or Fallsch, JLI work to if your desperate.

7 Jul 2015, 17:35 PM

Oh I know it's a thing that can work on Urban maps but suggesting Fallsch by themselves as a counter to snipers is dangerous because Fallsch can really bleed you hard. The way to go about countering snipers as OKW is to form your infantry into a V formation and lure them towards the center. Then flank with the units on the left and right which should be Obers or Fallsch, JLI work to if your desperate.

I'd like to see some replays in which this is done vs competent players. :foreveralone:
      7 Jul 2015, 17:37 PM

I'd like to see some replays in which this is done vs competent players. :foreveralone:

Fallsch and JLI can now actually cloak since they got their hold fire making luring enemies into traps to be fairly easy. I'll upload a replay as soon as I get one I think is worth showing.

I mean, functionally a good player normally won't take the bait but if he can't see whats coming....
      7 Jul 2015, 20:30 PM
      Senior Moderator Badge

-People are afraid of offensive performance due to NDA
      -On the other hand some are annoyed/relief that OH sniper doesn't die to indirect fire (the extra 2hp).

What about reducing the HP to 80* and RoF but decreasing the mp cost ?

*If sniper is meant to survive grenade, mortar or rocket shells, well just increase receive accuracy.
      7 Jul 2015, 20:45 PM
      Patrion 14

I like the 82 hp since stray mortars wiping a full health 360 mp unit is frustrating.

What needs to be changed is the snipers received accuracy. It currently dodges small arms like nothing, increase the received accuracy and now small arms can shit all over a sniper like it should.

This is the best idea I've seen so far. What is mainly frustrating is that the ost sniper has a very good chance to get away even when flanked due to the received accuracy.

With this solution flanking as a counter works better and would reduce the frustration for the person pulling off a decent flank on a sniper while retaining the snipers survivability with regards to indirect fire.
      7 Jul 2015, 21:28 PM
      Senior Strategist Badge
      Donator 11

I just played a game where a USF riflemenz threw a nade directly on to my sniper(I didn't move him at all)and he did not die. Slither of health remained.

And earlier today I played a game where an enemy ostheer sniper got away with that extra .2 of hit points 3 times.
      Needless to say I lost. Ostheer sniper needs not to go back to the days where you could just click on his unit icon with any unit and he would just die, but the extra 2 hit points is making him survive things he should not logically survive.
      7 Jul 2015, 21:49 PM

i also think that his hp is a bit too much.
      7 Jul 2015, 22:51 PM

This happens all the time with Soviet Snipers. The 2 men doesn't help one bit against it as they hold hands and a direct hit will take them both down. Even near-misses will take out the team due to AoE and the snipers low health of 46hp/model. The 2 models also make them a slightly bigger target and near misses whose AoE touches only one of the models still bleeds 90mp. Same goes for rifle grenades.

Ostheer sniper when at full health on the other hand is immune from death or even manpower bleed even against 120mm shells landing directly on his cap.

The Ost sniper needs to have it's health reduced to 80. At this point it will still be better at surviving grenades and mortar rounds than the Soviet sniper team (due to not dying from AoE damage as Soviet teams do). It will also decrease it's survivability against small arms fire as most rifles do either 16 or 8 damage per shot.
      7 Jul 2015, 23:09 PM

Ok, we have 82hp to prevent insta wipe by mortar.

But, grw34 just wiped my SU sniper squad is one juicy, random hit, yet as far as we know Relic, they won't do anything about this :foreveralone:
      7 Jul 2015, 23:39 PM

The thing is that i was in Faymonville, and this map have a ton of little cover, so it take a long time for infantery to moove, especially if a sniper shoot you.

But i don't know, his HP Stay OP.

Every volley from conscripts and with 0 cover, the sniper take only 20 % damage, it's ridiculous.
      8 Jul 2015, 00:54 AM

He has too much health.

You need a ton of shoot for kill him in medium-range,

A vet sniper can one vs one a conscript squad with his health and ability.

You can never kill him, ... in retreat he needs, at least a blob of 5 conscripts for be kill.

So what you need soviet sniper for kill him ? So why soviet snipers have less health ... :lol:

PS : Can you balance Tiger ace ? everybody has this cheat commander $$$ so now nerf it please.

cost : 280 fuel 720 manpower and not amputed Manpower.

Osth sniper is fine. High risk high reward.

he has a decent amount of hp yeah, but is still instantly killed if caught in the open or in the sights of an early scout car.

I lost a vet 3 sniper today to a ZIS at gun :( (AT shot too) lol Granted that was super RNG hating me, but still...

any artillery flushes them out pretty good.

and it is NOTHING compared to the USF mortar carriage of 1 shot squad wonders.
      8 Jul 2015, 01:12 AM

I don't think I've ever had a problem with the ost sniper tbh

Then again I make a halftrack in almost every game I play
      8 Jul 2015, 07:12 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jul 2015, 00:54 AMCorsin

Osth sniper is fine. High risk high reward.

he has a decent amount of hp yeah, but is still instantly killed if caught in the open or in the sights of an early scout car.

I lost a vet 3 sniper today to a ZIS at gun :( (AT shot too) lol Granted that was super RNG hating me, but still...

any artillery flushes them out pretty good.

and it is NOTHING compared to the USF mortar carriage of 1 shot squad wonders.

Update your game.
      Ost sniper is anything but high risk right now.
      Its more durable and less risky then sov sniper team.
      It can eat nade, katy, mortar, pack howi shell to the face and shrug it off, sov sniper team will be dead to any of it.

Its high risk only if you get it as 2nd or 3rd unit or against sov T1.

Also getting it lost to AT gun hardly qualifies as "high risk" as the chance is around 2.5% for that to happen.
      8 Jul 2015, 07:21 AM

82 hp is a good choice, because it omits frustrating RNG wipe moments on your vetted 360 mp unit, that you microed well the whole game long.
      Since NDA NDA has also 82 hp, I think the logic step would be to rework the soviet sniper so its also a single entity with 82 hp.

I don't understand why people want 80 hp, so it can be lololshotted by a mortar again - you think thats fine and not frustrating?

8 Jul 2015, 07:41 AM

I think the logic step would be to rework the soviet sniper so its also a single entity with 82 hp.

I disagree, I don't want the Sniper Wars of CoH1 to return, when most of your micro was devoted to trying to counter-snipe, the success or failure of which decided whether or not the rest of the game was worth playing. It's very dull and uninspired.

Keep Soviet at 2-man but fix him some other way. Maybe experiment with having the second man use a Crit-Kill Rifle like Pathfinder's so he can work with other Infantry.

And again, ROF based on Squad Size would solve many problems Snipers have.
      8 Jul 2015, 07:49 AM

I disagree, I don't want the Sniper Wars of CoH1 to return, when most of your micro was devoted to trying to counter-snipe, the success or failure of which decided whether or not the rest of the game was worth playing. It's very dull and uninspired.

Keep Soviet at 2-man but fix him some other way. Maybe experiment with having the second man use a Crit-Kill Rifle like Pathfinder's so he can work with other Infantry.

And again, ROF based on Squad Size would solve many problems Snipers have.

Snipers wars in coh1 were a problem because of the cloak snipers had in coh1. In coh2 you need cover for cloak and in addition you can force snipers to retreat by simply chasing the snipers with your units.
      8 Jul 2015, 11:16 AM

1) decrease the sniper's rof at close range.

The most frustrating part in trying to rush down a sniper with infantry is the fact the sniper fire faster the closer you are. Most infantry squad will lose 2-3 member just trying to get close.

Sniper should be weak at close range, not turning into a machine gun. This apply to both ost and sov sniper, but the ost is especially guilty of this.

2) decrease the sniper's retreat bonus. Even the US rifle have problem chasing down a retreating ost sniper.
      1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
        Steam Alias
        W
        L
        %
        Streak
      Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
      • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★