Login

russian armor

Ram

PAGES (10)down
28 Feb 2014, 18:38 PM

so ram is high risk high reward. can we say that about blitz as wel?
28 Feb 2014, 18:39 PM

Ram adds allot of interesting game play in soviets VS German tanks. just upping the t34 would remove all this game play. I imagine its frustrating for newer people to wait half the game to get a tiger just to have it rammed but at some point you'll learn to plan for this kind of things and not count on one big tank.
28 Feb 2014, 18:53 PM
Donator 22

Make ram dependant on whereyou ram,
frontal ram - 100% gun damaged, no engine crit + some small amount of damage > tank is basically out of action but you can backup and repair
rear ram - 100% damaged engine , no damage on gun, tank is a sitting duck but can defend himself
thoughts?

good suggestions :) and on both sides a 50%/50% chance of engine damage/gun damage
28 Feb 2014, 19:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Feb 2014, 18:35 PMZ3r07

dude, if you are really close to your enemy's tank, first of all he can't ram you, then if you see him backing up, you either follow him to stay close and avoid getting rammed or you back off as far as possible because that is the SIGN that he will ram you, then if he follows you, thats when you bring in your grenadiers that are suppose to be near by cuz you don't leave a tank unsupported right ? and faust it.

You see some high level players getting their T-34s fausted, you simply can't just attack whenever you want with your tanks and hope for the best, keep them in background until the right moment comes.

ram's at at sight range happen in 3.2 seconds last time i clocked it. and yeah high level players get fausted to they not machines. but its not a reliable counter in the slightest
28 Feb 2014, 19:34 PM

so ram is high risk high reward. can we say that about blitz as wel?

even with blitz the p4 will still not be able to kill a is2 or kv1 tank.
28 Feb 2014, 19:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Feb 2014, 18:39 PMstichy
Ram adds allot of interesting game play in soviets VS German tanks. just upping the t34 would remove all this game play. I imagine its frustrating for newer people to wait half the game to get a tiger just to have it rammed but at some point you'll learn to plan for this kind of things and not count on one big tank.

Gameplay or not its severely unbalanced
28 Feb 2014, 19:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Feb 2014, 19:34 PMJaigen

Gameplay or not its severely unbalanced

Just as unbalanced is not putting a single AT unit in soviet T3, the faction that can't reliably put more then 2 tiers up, being always at disadvantage when it comes to unit/counter selection.
28 Feb 2014, 19:51 PM

What a retarded suggestion. German armor is already OP and T34s are made of glass. Let's make them even more useless because my precious Panther needed some repair.
28 Feb 2014, 20:08 PM

What a retarded suggestion. German armor is already OP and T34s are made of glass. Let's make them even more useless because my precious Panther needed some repair.

Agreed, I often read the forums but am doing so less and less as the majority of the most active topics are German players complaining about balance. I wonder if these players ever play Soviets, or if they only post when they lose a game. I don't understand how this "nerf this" or "buff that" discussion is by any means constructive. Doesn't losing to a supposedly OP unit or technique just make you want to create a build or strategy to counter it? Surely that is more worthwhile than perpetually complaining.
28 Feb 2014, 20:20 PM

High-risk high-reward abilities like Ram which are completely based on RNG shouldn't be in a game aiming to be an eSport.

Although a certain amount of RNG in the game makes company of heroes, well, Company of heroes, I think Ram considerably overstepped that boundary. It's not based on skill at all and there's nothing you can do to influence the outcome of a ram.
28 Feb 2014, 20:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Feb 2014, 20:20 PMAlbus
High-risk high-reward abilities like Ram which are completely based on RNG shouldn't be in a game aiming to be an eSport.

Not a single relic employee ever said that coh2 aims to be esport.

Although a certain amount of RNG in the game makes company of heroes, well, Company of heroes, I think Ram considerably overstepped that boundary. It's not based on skill at all and there's nothing you can do to influence the outcome of a ram.

And mines are skill? AT nades/pfauses are skill? Grenades? Do you expect a minigame or popup quizz to show up before activating the ability? Its friggin RTS, you click ability, select target and either hit or miss(unless its pfaust/at nades which are always hit).

Quit whining about ram, because it will never go away. T34/85 would have to be default unit in T3 to even start considering it and we all know it won't happen. Just as removing ability won't happen.

As long as T3 won't be able to fight armor without ram, the ram will be there to allow for that, you have already plenty of ways to make it harder/prevent it, so do it.
28 Feb 2014, 20:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Feb 2014, 20:23 PMKatitof

Not a single relic employee ever said that coh2 aims to be esport.

Every game developer wants their game to become an eSport. People who want this game to have longevity want the game to become an eSport. Hell, the game doesn't even need to be an esport; people will play it competitively anyway. How can people expect to play a game competitively, however, when an ability like ram exists in which the tide of a game can be turned completely without any skill input what so ever?

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Feb 2014, 20:23 PMKatitof

And mines are skill? AT nades/pfauses are skill? Grenades? Do you expect a minigame or popup quizz to show up before activating the ability? Its friggin RTS, you click ability, select target and either hit or miss(unless its pfaust/at nades which are always hit).

The outcome of a PFaust or an ATnade will rarely influence the outcome of a game anywhere near as much as Ram. With ram, you could potentially be knocking out an extremely expensive piece of armor your enemy has saved up for for a good 10 minutes or so whereas with a PFaust or ATnade, you're, at the most, simply delaying it.

I don't know what mines have to do with anything. Placement of a mine is completely skill based. :/ RNG doesn't randomly put mines on the map for you.
28 Feb 2014, 20:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Feb 2014, 20:27 PMAlbus

Every game developer wants their game to become an eSport. People who want this game to have longevity want the game to become an eSport. Hell, the game doesn't even need to be an esport; people will play it competitively anyway. How can people expect to play a game competitively, however, when an ability like ram exists in which the tide of a game can be turned completely without any skill input what so ever?

And you base that assumption on what?
Because relic specifically said they do NOT aim at esport. Still want to prove that you know better then relic?

The outcome of a PFaust or an ATnade will rarely influence the outcome of a game anywhere near as much as Ram. With ram, you could potentially be knocking out an extremely expensive piece of armor your enemy has saved up for for a good 10 minutes or so whereas with a PFaust or ATnade, you're, at the most, simply delaying it.

I don't know what mines have to do with anything. Placement of a mine is completely skill based. :/ RNG doesn't randomly put mines on the map for you.

What? I don't even need to counterargument that, thats how silly it is.

And yeaaaa, ohh that mine skill, I need to be a pro to place a mine in a narrow way, before 3 digit ladder position I couldn't even find a mine button....
28 Feb 2014, 20:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Feb 2014, 20:20 PMAlbus
there's nothing you can do to influence the outcome of a ram.

I often think of the Jay-Z line when I begin to reply to a forum post, "A wise man told me not to argue with fools, because people from a distance can't tell who is who."

German
Smokescreen, Blitz at vet 1, mines, fausts, paks behind your lines, learning the range of a ram and keeping your distance. If you have decent micro the engine will overheat, and your opponent will be -85 fuel.

Soviets
Ramming from behind, never attempting to ram a vet-1 tank, having a unit to finish off the tank that was rammed, and compensation for poor pathing which often results in an engine overheated (aka don't ram unless you have a clear path). Ramming is not worth it unless your opponent has made a serious mistake and has no backup AT.

I'm not saying this ability is great but at least it makes for some exciting gameplay.
28 Feb 2014, 20:40 PM

I often think of the Jay-Z line when I begin to reply to a forum post, "A wise man told me not to argue with fools, because people from a distance can't tell who is who."

Your condescension is much appreciated MVGame.

Smokescreen, Blitz at vet 1, mines, fausts, paks behind your lines, learning the range of a ram and keeping your distance. If you have decent micro the engine will overheat, and your opponent will be -85 fuel.

"Smokescreen" doesn't stop an already initiated ram.

Teller mines are extremely expensive and can rarely be relied on as a ram blocker (Mainly because most rams will be against Tanks which are pushing into enemy territory, where it's kinda hard to spam a slow building 60 muni mine).

Quote-unquote "Decent micro". "Hurdy durr The old Tiger Ace wasn't OP. Just use decent micro. Hurdy Durr 1CP guard snipers? No prob dude just use your decent micro Hurdy Durrdy Hurdy Durrrrrrrrrr"
28 Feb 2014, 20:47 PM

I dont have any problems when Ram disables german medium tanks like the ostwind, stug, panther, panzer 4 or brummbar. But disabling a heavy and expensive vehicle like the Tiger or Elefant, to me, thats just silly and shouldnt exist.
28 Feb 2014, 20:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Feb 2014, 17:59 PMJaigen

If the soviet player is an idiot i would agree with this strat

Yes,thinking is really hard when you have to,no?

and then they will die because they take 300% damage increase and it will not safe your very expensive tank

Because Soviets don't have anything else to shoot at,except maybe Grenadier,PanzerGrenadiers,etc...they target Pioneers

cost efficiency at its max you spend 2 times more mp fuel and ammo on dedicated AT units to kill generalist units. nothing wrong here people

Tanks dont come equipped with vet 1.

Kill 5 or 6 Conscripts and you have vet.1,not hard,right?

no it really isn't by the time ram starts you have a few seconds to respond to it

it is when you have a Tiger and your opponents attacks you frontally with T34's :)

Their is no AT problem because tier 3 should not be able to counter german heavies. panthers in vcoh could kill 3 shermans and where the epitome of dedicated AT . fireflies could do the same thing to p4's. and yet in this game some cheap ass tank is able to neutralize german tanks? its simply unbalanced

Ridiculous,how could they neutralize German tanks,Germany won the war after all...
28 Feb 2014, 20:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Feb 2014, 20:40 PMAlbus

Quote-unquote "Decent micro". "Hurdy durr The old Tiger Ace wasn't OP. Just use decent micro. Hurdy Durr 1CP guard snipers? No prob dude just use your decent micro Hurdy Durrdy Hurdy Durrrrrrrrrr"

I'm glad you appreciate my condescension, thanks for the coherent and intelligent discourse. :)
28 Feb 2014, 21:14 PM

Make every tank unit able to ram then... I think its a terrible ability that needs to be removed.
28 Feb 2014, 21:20 PM

I dont have any problems when Ram disables german medium tanks like the ostwind, stug, panther, panzer 4 or brummbar. But disabling a heavy and expensive vehicle like the Tiger or Elefant, to me, thats just silly and shouldnt exist.

That is exactly why ramming have a penetration that is much lower then heavy tank armor.
Even vet1 tiger have 0 problems escaping ram and it isn't particularly hard to not overextend tiger until vet1.

Elephant is batshit OP since its only weakness, infantry AT, doesn't exist on soviet side and even shooting at its rear T34 have 50% to penetrate, if that doesn't account for OP, then TA was perfectly balance as well.
PAGES (10)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 38
Germany 748
unknown 8

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %