Login

russian armor

It just isn't fun anymore

PAGES (7)down
12 Feb 2015, 21:02 PM

This game has been Company of Call-ins since Shock and Guard Motor spam became popular like right after the game released, are you just now figuring that out?
12 Feb 2015, 21:04 PM
Coder Red Badge

For Americans yes, there was less variety in terms of openings, though there were still four completely viable competitive openers depending on the map and situation (4 rifle BARs, 3 rifle grenades, fast M8, 3 rifle WSC). Most of the variety in American play came later in the game, with T3/T4 tech choices, backteching, and supply yard upgrades.

But for Wehrmacht, like I said above, every single top tournament player had a unique style because there were so many competitively viable ways to play the faction. Back before CoH2 came out I could watch a replay and guess the Wehrmacht player based only on his gameplay, and these were players who frequently rotated in and out of top 4 tournament finishes.
12 Feb 2015, 21:20 PM

You know... a lot of coh1 players want the game to succeed. I don't play coh2 anymore and still play coh1 but I would like to see this game worth playing.

People like you tend to forget this community, this website, the majority of players making the complaints all have stuck around the COH franchise / community for years. Hell, I mean SNF is hosted by old vcoh casters, TNF stuck around to cast a decent number of coh2 games and within good reason stopped and inverse gave it a good whack at some strat casts. There's many more community member's who just left due to the franchise becoming dull.

I started playing shortly after its release (early 2007 I think) and worked my way up to a top 100 1v1 player in coh automatch and sunk countless hours into the game / community / discussion when I could. I reserve my right to be a bit disappointed when relic's previous community managers talked about the game not being pay to win (there is a nice thread on gamereplays.org about this), having some sort of competitive focus, and just overall being a polished game that learned from the OF expansions mistakes (poorly designed additional armies).

So.... look where we are now, the game is super casual, it doesn't know what it wants to be or who its audience is.

And every time one of you guys say "go back to coh1..." well, I mean you're basically targeting a large number of the community. Whether someone speaks up or not a LOT of people enjoyed that game, loved it. Even to this day it's a pinnacle or RTS gaming, it's still one of the highest ranked RTS games of all time (if not THE highest). Maybe relic just had too big of shoes to fill under the circumstances of the THQ bankruptcy but it's certainly disappointing to be promised a swing-set and getting a sandbox if you get my drift. Not that either one is better than the other but the original promise, the painted picture was something much more than what we got. That and the loss of the competitive community and a bunch of kids like you on this site who have one liner poorly thought out sentences with no constructive criticism for improvement. Yea... you make this community suck ass sometimes.

Attack me i am the rotten core of this community. Good job. My point is people tend to bash this game for everything and blame relic all day long. I am the one that likes this game and maybe it has some problems with balance but i am still playing it. Last thing the problem with COH Franchise is the fact that the community is a little to fanatic about it.
12 Feb 2015, 22:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Feb 2015, 21:20 PMJorad

Attack me i am the rotten core of this community. Good job. My point is people tend to bash this game for everything and blame relic all day long. I am the one that likes this game and maybe it has some problems with balance but i am still playing it. Last thing the problem with COH Franchise is the fact that the community is a little to fanatic about it.

Well, anytime you go about telling community members to leave you are part of the problem. Maybe you should take some accountability for your actions and also reflect on how treating members of the community might effect the outcome of the game.

Relic deserves a bit of bashing in some ways. Yes, some players take it too far but relic also promised a lot of things and didn't deliver. If you are new to the community I'm sorry you don't understand. There's history to this game and there are some past issues and to ignore them is ignorant in a sense.

Lastly, a lot of vcoh players stick around because they care about the franchise. Most of us want the game to succeed so we don't watch our favorite franchise die. It's not that hard to comprehend. We give input because these are the things that drew us to COH in the first place. For some reason they decided to take away a lot of these core game elements and dumb it down. This is disappointing and to be honest probably isn't that hard to change. Personally, I don't see the game lasting much longer because it doesn't have a good mix of arcade and realism, like the first game did. It doesn't feel like a true sequel. I see it dying, the community dissipating, and when people look back they'll go "why didn't the community help to improve the game?". Well, then we'll find posts like yours and see some people, like you, were too complacent with a mediocre game and at the same time being negative towards other players with absolutely 0 empathy. So yes, you are part of the problem. Help the game don't make it stagnate. And in no way shape or form is telling players to leave going to help, you know that, I know that, we all know that so quit playing the victim.
12 Feb 2015, 23:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Feb 2015, 15:13 PMInverse
...but you were never a serious 1v1 player so I can understand the confusion.

You stay classy, Inverse. ;)
13 Feb 2015, 01:54 AM
Coder Red Badge

What can I say, I'm an honest guy.
13 Feb 2015, 02:13 AM

Yes, relic should nerf it into the ground so that ost have absolutely no counter to USF elite troops with bars. Most players pick stug e due to lack of any reliable alternative, which is frustrating and boring.

Most people pick up StugE regardless because the whole doctrine allows for a powerful early, mid and lategame, with all the infantry benefits such as LMGs, grenades, panzerfaust, schreks, well-timed light armor and Heavy armor, with only 400mp and 50 or so fuel spent on tech in total. The whole doctrine is completely and utterly broken and people will pick it even if the enemy has a commander line-up that consists of 3x soviet defensive tactics. Because the only thing people like more than winning, is winning without making an effort.

This doctrine, along with a few other, are killing this game because they are incredibly OP and don't allow for the use of interesting strategies by the opponent. If you don't counter this doctrine with another call-in doctrine like Guards motor or shock rifle, you have to be a much better player than your opponent to make up for the huge gap in teching cost. The same is true visa-versa.

I wish the designers would finally get their heads from out their asses and realize that tech-skipping is NOT good for gameplay.
13 Feb 2015, 03:52 AM
Patrion 14

many times i see great players lenny and redxwing playing with unorthodox strats.... they aren't 1v1 tourney winner type top players but they are still very good players imo.

their strats seem much more interesting to me than all the coh 1 strats i've seen in 100+ casts by SNF4 and TFN.
13 Feb 2015, 04:57 AM
Benefactor 115

I think the potential for there to be a lot of strategies in CoH2 is there, even not considering commanders.

The problem is that I think there are a lot of units that have very under whelming performance ( SU-76 and IR HT for example ) and that generalist units (grenadiers and conscripts and volks with shrecks) are just too well rounded units for you not to build.
13 Feb 2015, 05:29 AM

the stuff you described was used by A FEW people on A FEW occasions. the "not top 50 and tourney player" guys used the same standard build orders over and over again (list above). because they were reliable, easier to perform and therefore gave people the best chance to win.

Not really. Low level players you see all kinds of random shit. Mid high level players are a bit more predictable but there is still variety and even guys that used almost the same T1 opening (4 rifles BARs for example) still had a good bit of variety in mid and late game transitions. With WM 90% of my games are using one of my 4-5 favorite T1 opening builds but the mid and late game can change a lot still using the same opening units.
13 Feb 2015, 07:58 AM

Well, anytime you go about telling community members to leave you are part of the problem. Maybe you should take some accountability for your actions and also reflect on how treating members of the community might effect the outcome of the game.

Relic deserves a bit of bashing in some ways. Yes, some players take it too far but relic also promised a lot of things and didn't deliver. If you are new to the community I'm sorry you don't understand. There's history to this game and there are some past issues and to ignore them is ignorant in a sense.

Lastly, a lot of vcoh players stick around because they care about the franchise. Most of us want the game to succeed so we don't watch our favorite franchise die. It's not that hard to comprehend. We give input because these are the things that drew us to COH in the first place. For some reason they decided to take away a lot of these core game elements and dumb it down. This is disappointing and to be honest probably isn't that hard to change. Personally, I don't see the game lasting much longer because it doesn't have a good mix of arcade and realism, like the first game did. It doesn't feel like a true sequel. I see it dying, the community dissipating, and when people look back they'll go "why didn't the community help to improve the game?". Well, then we'll find posts like yours and see some people, like you, were too complacent with a mediocre game and at the same time being negative towards other players with absolutely 0 empathy. So yes, you are part of the problem. Help the game don't make it stagnate. And in no way shape or form is telling players to leave going to help, you know that, I know that, we all know that so quit playing the victim.

Well i never seen you on this forum helping resolve a balance issue and i can't see your player card so i don't know if you even play Coh 2. Maybe you are that kind of person that wants to point fingers at people responsible for the down fall of your favourite game, and here i was a random guy that told Porygon to go back to COH 1. I don't want to argue, because you will never prove me right, and will never prove you wrong. Last thing if one statement that was used on this forum couple of times is the GRAND REASON for this community down fall i stay at my other statement to many Fanatics of the franchise. The only people that can fix this game are the ones at Relic. The community can help but only relic can change the game if they decide to.
13 Feb 2015, 09:23 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Feb 2015, 07:58 AMJorad

Well i never seen you on this forum helping resolve a balance issue and i can't see your player card so i don't know if you even play Coh 2. Maybe you are that kind of person that wants to point fingers at people responsible for the down fall of your favourite game, and here i was a random guy that told Porygon to go back to COH 1. I don't want to argue, because you will never prove me right, and will never prove you wrong. Last thing if one statement that was used on this forum couple of times is the GRAND REASON for this community down fall i stay at my other statement to many Fanatics of the franchise. The only people that can fix this game are the ones at Relic. The community can help but only relic can change the game if they decide to.

I am a random scrub too and went back to COH1, in spite of not played COH1 for almost 1.5 year, still getting US and Wehr into top 30s within a week, and because of timezone, I just keep getting nubs, even top 20s PE can't do a shit against bulletproof and lost interest. It is still much better than the COH2 pudding we have now.

Wehr is still quite interesting though, I can do almost whatever I want. VVSMG, FHQ defence/terror, 3 Volks 2 MG, 5 PIo T2 Grens, 3 Pio Volksspam Blitznade, 4 Pio MGspam into StuH, etc.

Comparing to COH2, Ostheer is crippled like fuck, you are forced to do the best unit combination, hoping your Grens doesn't get instant squad wipe by "insert any stupid AOE". OKW is super stupid, it is just spamming useless Volks (a lot inferior to COH1 Volks), get some Obers or Falls, hope nothing squad wiping you and win by vet and super tank, MEH.

Those stupid squad spacing AI is pissing me off, a hell lot. >:(

Maybe I just GTFO and go back playing Pokemon. :foreveralone:
13 Feb 2015, 09:37 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Feb 2015, 09:23 AMPorygon

I am a random scrub too and went back to COH1, in spite of not played COH1 for almost 1.5 year, still getting US and Wehr into top 30s within a week, and because of timezone, I just keep getting nubs, even top 20s PE can't do a shit against bulletproof and lost interest. It is still much better than the COH2 pudding we have now.

Wehr is still quite interesting though, I can do almost whatever I want. VVSMG, FHQ defence/terror, 3 Volks 2 MG, 5 PIo T2 Grens, 3 Pio Volksspam Blitznade, 4 Pio MGspam into StuH, etc.

Comparing to COH2, Ostheer is crippled like fuck, you are forced to do the best unit combination, hoping your Grens doesn't get instant squad wipe by "insert any stupid AOE". OKW is super stupid, it is just spamming useless Volks (a lot inferior to COH1 Volks), get some Obers or Falls, hope nothing squad wiping you and win by vet and super tank, MEH.

Those stupid squad spacing AI is pissing me off, a hell lot. >:(

Maybe I just GTFO and go back playing Pokemon. :foreveralone:

Maybe. I don't know a lot of people here complain. Coh2.org is the first site unoffical site that i follow daily and look at the forums daily. I got involved so much into the whole game balance discussion that I started to worry for the game more then anything else. But in the end it is just a game IF relic stops suporting COh2, I will just download a mod or maybe Kappapatch and continue playing jut like i did with Dawn of War2
13 Feb 2015, 09:37 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Feb 2015, 03:52 AMpigsoup
many times i see great players lenny and redxwing playing with unorthodox strats.... they aren't 1v1 tourney winner type top players but they are still very good players imo.

their strats seem much more interesting to me than all the coh 1 strats i've seen in 100+ casts by SNF4 and TFN.

Don't know about redxwing, but Lenny sure uses out of meta strats and the sad thing is, unless he gets matched against a scrub, he loses.
This is the best example that players are punished for trying something new.
You can go with meta or with interesting strat, meta will allow you to beat better players if you outplay them, out of box thinking and playing will give you hard time against scrubs.

And relic considers this situation "fine".
13 Feb 2015, 09:56 AM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Feb 2015, 09:37 AMKatitof

Don't know about redxwing, but Lenny sure uses out of meta strats and the sad thing is, unless he gets matched against a scrub, he loses.
This is the best example that players are punished for trying something new.
You can go with meta or with interesting strat, meta will allow you to beat better players if you outplay them, out of box thinking and playing will give you hard time against scrubs.

And relic considers this situation "fine".

well, i saw one game where lenny beat stephennjf with nkvd, which is still the best game i have ever seen.but i'll assume you are right.

what i want to say is that [i bet] most ppl who come this forum who complain about stale meta have never dedicated themselves to unorthodox strategies as much as players like lenny has to really know what they are talking about when they say 'oh there is only one or two strat that works etc.' they might be right, but it is all guesswork.

and i also think there is a severe case of confusion between getting naturally bored of a game because you played thousands of hours and a game boring you due to abyssal gameplay in threads like this.
13 Feb 2015, 10:18 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Feb 2015, 09:56 AMpigsoup

well, i saw one game where lenny beat stephennjf with nkvd, which is still the best game i have ever seen.but i'll assume you are right.

what i want to say is that [i bet] most ppl who come this forum who complain about stale meta have never dedicated themselves to unorthodox strategies as much as players like lenny has to really know what they are talking about when they say 'oh there is only one or two strat that works etc.' they might be right, but it is all guesswork.

and i also think there is a severe case of confusing between getting naturally bored of a game because you played thousands of hours and a game boring you due to abyssal gameplay in threads like this.

True. Some people should make a break. I am doing so thus still have fun playing although i lose most of the time.
13 Feb 2015, 10:46 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Feb 2015, 09:56 AMpigsoup

and i also think there is a severe case of confusion between getting naturally bored of a game because you played thousands of hours and a game boring you due to abyssal gameplay in threads like this.

All I see in Stephenn Ostheer streaming is using "trash" doctrine, maybe he likes challenging, but assgren/elite isn't fun to watch anyway.

Lenny's Soviet is definitely using the trollstrat I used in the early days of COH2, it was fun at start but too repetitive and soon got bored.

I rather watch Hans Prottruppen combined arms, which is closer to the old Wehr defensive style.

Just got another game pissed in COH2, got a ooohwaing cons into Semois cutoff, click instant FHQ inspire of a cutoff sector, OKW can't crush buildings anymore, instant GG. Yeah, how E-sport it is. Fucking great-A.

I thought PE FHQ healing aura was OP, now the Soviet one is beyond insane.
13 Feb 2015, 14:17 PM

and for me a lategame which is dominated by heavy tanks is somewhat more logical and enjoyable than a lategame which is dominated by a bunch of snipers like coh1 had.

Please explain to me how soviet sniper spam better. They are almost fucking impossible to kill ( for Ost )in the hands of a semi competent player and if you do kill it chances are he will simply remake it because the game is forgiving with squad losses. And they are just as annoying if not worse than Coh1 version.

Late game strats dominated by heavies means far less variety because most times you will require heavies as counter especially vs okw and kt.

I can accept people may prefer coh2, but not for the reasons you posted..
13 Feb 2015, 22:41 PM

A new patch soon should remove this horrid call-in spam meta.
15 Feb 2015, 00:47 AM

This is why game is frustrating : lame arse strats.

I just played a game (Sov vs OSt kharkov) where my opponet builds t2, 2 maxims, morter, shock, then camps in the buildings.

So what ensues ? Mortor wars, at gun walls, shocks amoving around blind corners. Kv8 A-moving around map untill its noob operator looses it. Then IS2 arrives and a slugfest begins and rng / squadwipes decide the game.

No thanks, i just quit at 5 min mark, even with a considerable lead. Seen it all before and its boring as f***.

The designers often highlight Isometric design as a game feature yet these kinds of openings are all to frequent. What is isometric about mg/ morter battles.

Coh1 design : Us - flanking faction, Wher - mg/camping faction, Panzer elite - light vehicle/blobbing faction, Brits - camping/ blobbing. Not saying coh1 was perfect but the coh2 factions in many respects play identical and sadly some people want mg/moters for each faction.

Note, i am not saying T2 opening is OP just braindead to execute and boring to face.
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Mexico 24
United Kingdom 146
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %