Login

russian armor

COH HD?

28 Aug 2013, 16:01 PM

Seeing as they released AOE 2 HD....why couldn't they do the same with COH?

In doing so they could keep the same great game JUST AS IT IS and then fix the things that need it such as dedicated servers (i.e. no more P2P) and support.

Then they have an income coming in to not only support the game - but also add to Sega's bottom line AND we get our game back.

COH 2 is just not doing it for a lot of people (if its floating your boat - then more power to you) - and if reboots are already accepted in the market place - then why not make a great game better?

We get the game - We get support - SEGA/RELIC get their cash - it's a win/win all round.

I certainly know I'd be happy to stump up $29.95 for COH HD - and I'm probably not alone.
28 Aug 2013, 16:07 PM

In my opinion CoH looks almost as good as CoH2 already. With a skinpack, Sweet-FX and Pfuscher HD-pack it looks better.
28 Aug 2013, 16:11 PM

Quite possibly it does - I'm more so concerned about the MP connections and support - they (as in Dev's) need a financial incentive to do it - hence package it all up, slap a "HD" on it and sell it to the community.

Win-Win all round.
28 Aug 2013, 16:55 PM

In my opinion CoH looks almost as good as CoH2 already. With a skinpack, Sweet-FX and Pfuscher HD-pack it looks better.

unfortunately those things wont fix the existing problems, and many of us dont want to install "aftermarket" parts
pingping solution approaching it from a different angle, it would generate money to relic.
28 Aug 2013, 17:12 PM
Donator 22

lol, nice idea. I would even buy it, and some of my friends as well
28 Aug 2013, 17:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Aug 2013, 16:55 PMnin3

unfortunately those things wont fix the existing problems, and many of us dont want to install "aftermarket" parts
pingping solution approaching it from a different angle, it would generate money to relic.

I'm aware of that it wont fix the problems with the game. But I was speaking of the graphical part of the game. If you don't want to install any "aftermarket" as you put it, that's your loss. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't if your computer can manage it.

I doubt that it would be beneficial for Relic to make a CoH HD version at this current timeframe. Now that CoH2 has just been released and all. Even if they patched CoH within 2 months I doubt that they would make any more money out of it.
28 Aug 2013, 18:15 PM

vcoh dlc. old maps old stats old untis old everything!
29 Aug 2013, 10:58 AM
Patrion 14

i can only run CoH1 properly with lowest settings, no need for a HD release for me :p
29 Aug 2013, 11:40 AM

Like Paperplane said, a coh hd version would kill the remains of coh2.
They want to sell some dlcs, maybe addons and finally coh2 for 20 bucks, then 10, then 5 and inbetween some humblebundles. Milking :)

If we all had known how coh2 works out, everybody would've preferred a addon with some fixes(maybe really bad grammar here)

Without aftermarket parts, you can still activate ambient occlusion, lod bias and supersampling. But my mod is so easily installed and works online. same to sweetfx.
If you don't like it, blame the engine developers with their engine limitation to 512x512 ground textures.
Fun fact: 7 years later, coh2 has the same
29 Aug 2013, 12:16 PM

Like Paperplane said, a coh hd version would kill the remains of coh2.
They want to sell some dlcs, maybe addons and finally coh2 for 20 bucks, then 10, then 5 and inbetween some humblebundles. Milking :)

If we all had known how coh2 works out, everybody would've preferred a addon with some fixes(maybe really bad grammar here)

Without aftermarket parts, you can still activate ambient occlusion, lod bias and supersampling. But my mod is so easily installed and works online. same to sweetfx.
If you don't like it, blame the engine developers with their engine limitation to 512x512 ground textures.

... I like CoH2.
29 Aug 2013, 14:26 PM

... I like CoH2.

facepalm
29 Aug 2013, 16:07 PM

... I like CoH2.

Good for you!

There's an entire other sub forum for you to express that feeling.

We're discussing COH1 here mate.
29 Aug 2013, 16:12 PM

In addition - I think most people are missing my point (but some have seen what I'm getting at) - basically I could not care about the graphical improvements or other "bling" HD-ness they could tap on to COH - I'm looking at a VIABLE way that Relic/Sega can fix COH to address the REAL issues at hand - i.e. the archaic P2P and poor level of matchmaking/networking that the Steam version is today.

Buy going the "HD" route - you can raise $$'s to support the game AND you don't make the community feel ripped off - as now they have a shiny "new" HD version - when in reality that $ went to fixing the NON VISIBLE things - like the servers, the networking etc.

I think COH graphically is great - I think the networking (and the exploitation of that networking i.e. maphacks etc) is not.

COH HD would solve this.
29 Aug 2013, 17:07 PM

For me to be interested in paying for a fourth version of COH, they would have to address some of the gameplay features such as m10 misfire, staghound health, staghound mg reload and a couple of other things. It would nice to see PE HT pathing addressed too. If they really want to get people back to COH, they should release COHO again. That gathered a lot of attention.
29 Aug 2013, 17:11 PM

Seriously? And yet they manage to make coh2 runs poorly...
Also, that would explain why everything looks so blurry and lacking in detail (for 2013).
1 of 4 Relic postsRelic 29 Aug 2013, 17:40 PM

For me to be interested in paying for a fourth version of COH, they would have to address some of the gameplay features such as m10 misfire, staghound health, staghound mg reload and a couple of other things. It would nice to see PE HT pathing addressed too. If they really want to get people back to COH, they should release COHO again. That gathered a lot of attention.

I like CoHO. It was a great idea, and maybe another company that wasn't THQ and was willing to lose money for a few years on it could have made it work. But as it was it was a great way to lose millions of dollars and spend a great deal of time not making a new game.

While an HD version of vCoH is not a bad idea, we're working on improving the Steam experience for free which I think most people would prefer to a paid game. Yes you guys might be okay with dropping more money, but the average person (as with CoHO) would just look at it and say "Well the old one works fine so what's the point?"

I could be wrong but I don't think HD updates are that successful, at least on PC where the original game is still able to run. Maybe console games, where unless you still own a NES you can't play Super Mario 3 or whatever.
29 Aug 2013, 18:10 PM
Donator 22

Hi noun, you are definitely right, is not an upgrade that is really necessary for a PC game. Nevertheless, it is a box you can give to someone in marketing and say "sell this!!!"
And I would even buy it :-)

ok, it is not going to happen.....but the idea was nice.

Hey, but once you fix the Steam version, good luck for selling some of that again. Really.
And thank you once again for doing that at all.
29 Aug 2013, 20:27 PM
Coder Red Badge

vCoH looks pretty HD to me.
2 of 4 Relic postsRelic 29 Aug 2013, 20:32 PM

The original game still sells pretty well.

SEGA seems much more interested in the "long tail" approach to business than THQ which for as long as I worked for them were all about hitting home runs at their first trip to the plate.

Relic has a back catalouge that continues to make a significant amount of money for the studio and SEGA and that's going to be a good thing for fans going forward.
29 Aug 2013, 21:37 PM
Honorary Member Badge

The thing is, i don't like your mod at all. But it's not because of the 512x512 limitation of gorund textures, but because you didn't understand the stystem of vCoH and CoH2.

If you did put a minimum effort into looking at how the vCoH worldbuilder is designed, or at least talked to anyone who has a slight idea of it, you would know that ground textures are almost irrelevant for CoH.
The important things for CoH are splats and splines. Ground textures are for the general idea of a territory, but all kinds of details are provided by splats and splines. If you wanted to target the resolution limitations of vCoH, you would have worked on improvements of splats and splines, instead of ground textures.

But instead you have made ground textures so dominant, that you overwrite anything that the original map maker would have had in mind with splats and splines. In some areas it creates the feel of a greater resolution, but in most areas it just makes things flat. It looks extremely bad around roads, and around buildings. This highlights the strength of splats and splines and where your approach fails.....

So, if you ever put effort into improving CoH2, you better start with splats and splines instead of groundtextures.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★