Login

russian armor

Petition agains Overwatch doctrine comader name

Do you think overwatch need to be renamed to battlefield reconnaissance doctrine ?
Option Distribution Votes
35%
65%
Total votes: 52
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
26 Nov 2015, 07:47 AM

OKW new commader will be released. It´s name will be overwatch doctrine.
I think this name is a lot silly. This commader have nothing oweratchy at all.

Overwatch mean something like reconing targeted area and then strike any hostile troops hard with some artillery or airstrikes until enemy activity ceases. And this commader dont have even one ability that would describe its name or even his description "Utilize advance field reconnaissance to coordinate your army positioning. Territory that you are in control of will be rigged with flares to send early warning from enemy attacks. Coordinate battles within friendly territory to gain a tactical advantage. A Goliath is also available for deployment to help dislodge forward defenses as well as aerial Stukas are prepared to assault any position."

There is nothing at all that mean overwatch. You get some beacons and radars on your truck to scout for enemy positions, some booby traps that show enemy position (only recon abilities ,nothing that would force enemy to move out of the are). For the fatherland it defensive fanatism inspiration ability , goliath is ambush weapon that is great agains enemy concentration and best used in conjuction with 1st and second ability.

And sector assault is more like air superiority ability than overwatch because those planes will simply atack , they dont have an objective : attack if you see enemy , else dont. They will simply attack regardeless of enemy activity. It is also mean to be agressive ability , not sector holding ability as you can see in description.

So due to this i want to make a petition agains this bad name , chang it to better name and then send it to Relic.

NOTE: this is srious thread and I want to keep it serious so please admins don´t lock it and memeber please don´t write troolpost and some stupid thinks here.

Also it lack second option in poll becuase iti s petition , it´s objective is to get as many player votes as possible and then give this feedback to Relic
26 Nov 2015, 08:05 AM

I have amended your poll so it is not rigged to give only the "yes" option.
26 Nov 2015, 08:10 AM

I voted no, mainly because of the fact that the overwacht doctrine had 30% of the votes, most of all. Democracy
26 Nov 2015, 08:14 AM

The majority of the voters have chosen, so be it.
26 Nov 2015, 08:17 AM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

Names like this make me cringe
26 Nov 2015, 08:27 AM

Invissed a post. You are allowed to criticise but you should do it in a measured manner, swearing takes it off the rails.
26 Nov 2015, 08:31 AM

Well, its players who have chosen the name so I don't see much point to this thread.

At best you can blame community for the lack of imagination.
26 Nov 2015, 08:32 AM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post26 Nov 2015, 08:31 AMKatitof
Well, its players who have chosen the name so I don't see much point to this thread.

At best you can blame community for the lack of imagination.

+1

But you only ban me swissabre . Katitof say the same and you wont ban him because you know he have 7000 post so hi immune to everything
26 Nov 2015, 08:38 AM

Permanently Banned
Like rly people. You have nothing to do ? Coh2 have so many game issue and noone is looking at them. I thought this will be good thread when i saw here lot of editors and referes and seniors and even some strategist that created this thread.But no chance.

Can you actually point the main issues of this game -blobberino , teametes out of game , allies rule ...
No this thread about no no i need to cry my name commader was ot chesen i cannot live without that.

Start to creating something usefull

Sorry I think my first post will be actuallly usefull but no it is not , because #thebestofcoh2.org make thread particallz about nithing at all.

It is good now sfitsabre ? i removed all bad world from there.
And no im not troling it is serious post
26 Nov 2015, 09:11 AM
Patrion 27

I voted no. In tabletop and rts games Overwatch has traditionally meant "taking an advantageous position, in cover perhaps, with a vigilant eye to fire on anyone coming into view."
26 Nov 2015, 09:28 AM

It is good now sfitsabre ? i removed all bad world from there.
And no im not troling it is serious post

It is better. And no your post was removed for it's wording, Katitof's was not worded foully so ti stayed.
26 Nov 2015, 09:31 AM

So people really are arguing about a name?
It could be named Wiener Schnitzel Doctrine and I wouldn't give a damn.
26 Nov 2015, 09:33 AM

It could be named Wiener Schnitzel Doctrine and I wouldn't give a damn.

I would soooo buy that doctrine, regardless what it had. :megusta:
26 Nov 2015, 09:38 AM

The name doesn't really matter and to be honest, who actually knows/uses the commander on top of casters? Who calls Guards Combined Arms Tactics by it's name for example :D

This commander is going to be called Goliath commander anyways :D
26 Nov 2015, 10:39 AM

Yeah well Heavy Cavalry Company has no cavalry, and Feuersturm Doctrine has no firebombs.

Soon, Soviet Industry won't have soviet industry and Elite Troops will not provide elite troops.
26 Nov 2015, 11:31 AM

I think it's also due to the fact that many CoH 2 players aren't native english speakers.
To them, Overwatch will just sound like sth twisted, like the Overwatch from HL2. And many people like to go with the slightly exaggerated, but more powerful portrayal of the german army of WW2.

That's also the reason why Firestorm won, I think. These kind of names may sound kind of cheesy, but also more characteristic and twisted... many seem to want wicked, cartoonishly evil sounding german commander names, so that's what we get.

I actually think many of the other name suggestions were very generic and not very recognizable. You could interchange those with many of the unimaginative names of early soviet/ostheer commanders. A commander name must be recognizable to give the commander more character.

Lastly, I think the word "Overwatch" is simply defined and understood in a different way by people (the first thing I, as a non-native speaker of the englisch language, associated with the word "Overwatch" was some kind of a villanous surveillance of territory and enemy activities in it - and I admit my perception of this may have been influenced by HL2's Overwatch)
26 Nov 2015, 12:07 PM

Overwatch sounds retarded. Be it de_overwatch2 or smthng else.
26 Nov 2015, 12:13 PM

I voted no, mainly because of the fact that the overwacht doctrine had 30% of the votes, most of all. Democracy

Democracy is idiotic.

Anyway, just pick a name Relic. Simply letting community to pick a name isn't gonna skyrocket your sales.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★