Login

russian armor

Infantry Squads And Population

13 Sep 2015, 10:09 AM

Minor suggestion, but I'd like to see the way that population is calculated for infantry squads changed. Right now, each individual soldier uses up a certain amount of population (say 1.75). This creates a couple of problems when your army approaches the population limit of 100. First, you can have instances where you can't fully reinforce an infantry squad, because doing so would put you over the population limit. Second, you can have an issue where, for example, you're using 92.5 population and therefore cannot buy a unit costing 8 population.

Therefore I'd like to suggest that the population cost of infantry be calculated on a per-squad rather than per-entity basis. This would mean that a Grenadier squad, for example, would still use 7 population up even if only two of its members are actually alive. This minor change would solve both the issues listed above.
13 Sep 2015, 10:20 AM

Thay would mean you have to lose squads in the lategame if you are near your pop cap and want to build a tank. For example, if I was at 93 pop and wanted to get a su76, I would have to lose a full squad. I much prefer the current system, where I would only need to lose 1 model.
13 Sep 2015, 10:23 AM

Minor suggestion, but I'd like to see the way that population is calculated for infantry squads changed. Right now, each individual soldier uses up a certain amount of population (say 1.75). This creates a couple of problems when your army approaches the population limit of 100. First, you can have instances where you can't fully reinforce an infantry squad, because doing so would put you over the population limit. Second, you can have an issue where, for example, you're using 92.5 population and therefore cannot buy a unit costing 8 population.

Therefore I'd like to suggest that the population cost of infantry be calculated on a per-squad rather than per-entity basis. This would mean that a Grenadier squad, for example, would still use 7 population up even if only two of its members are actually alive. This minor change would solve both the issues listed above.

This would solve "your" pop cap problem but would cut your mp income (1,5 mp per pop),for example you have 4 grens with only 1 member left ,you would still lose 28*1,5=42 mp per minute instead of
only 9 mp.

13 Sep 2015, 10:29 AM

Thay would mean you have to lose squads in the lategame if you are near your pop cap and want to build a tank. For example, if I was at 93 pop and wanted to get a su76, I would have to lose a full squad. I much prefer the current system, where I would only need to lose 1 model.
13 Sep 2015, 10:35 AM

Don't fix what isn't broken.
13 Sep 2015, 10:36 AM

Or instead of messing everything up they could just make the UI show the fractional part.

Or you can just learn to live with the fact that the last 1 pop might not be available depending on what units you actually have.
13 Sep 2015, 11:07 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Sep 2015, 10:36 AMCruzz
Or instead of messing everything up they could just make the UI show the fractional part.

Honestly they could fix it by just rounding up all numbers instead of rounding down, so that 92._ would show as 93 instead of 92.
13 Sep 2015, 11:26 AM

They could just allow every player to go to "100.99" pop, but still just show 100 pop, this would allow people to build those units that take up the last pop point without denying them.
13 Sep 2015, 14:36 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

This would solve "your" pop cap problem but would cut your mp income (1,5 mp per pop),for example you have 4 grens with only 1 member left ,you would still lose 28*1,5=42 mp per minute instead of
only 9 mp.

Very good point, that would likely affect manpower bleed immensely.
13 Sep 2015, 18:28 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

1- OP idea > Bad
2- Don't fix what ain't broken
3- Just round up what is showing up in the UI.
4- Just show up fractions
5- I guess you could just increase popcap to 100.99

13 Sep 2015, 19:55 PM

It gets pretty bad with British units since they use a lot of fractions. At one point it said I had 98 pop and I wanted to reinforce a squad that said it cost 1 pop per man, but I couldn't.

I likely had something like 98.X population used and the single reinforced man used 1.Y population, where X+Y > 1.

Another solution is to not have fractions at all. Individuals can cost either 1 or 2, and the squad itself can add an additional 1 or 2 if needed, just like Panzergrenadiers.
13 Sep 2015, 22:32 PM

Or just remove the 'hard' pop cap since a 'soft' cap.

But population cap is actually an 'optimization fix'. :D
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS