Login

russian armor

MGs in Buildings

8 Dec 2014, 21:31 PM

Can we make a separate mechanic for Mgs in buildings where you can arrange their direction or focus fire. Currently if you right click at all with an mg in the building they get out which is pretty dumb.
8 Dec 2014, 21:33 PM

I think if you select the house instead of the unit. (as in click the house and then mark the house marker in the toolbar instead of the unit) You should be able to change the direction.
Though I might be mistaken, it might only be to select target.
8 Dec 2014, 21:34 PM

i thought it was an infamous bug where u couldn't change their direction
9 Dec 2014, 01:50 AM
Patrion 28

the house only let's you attack as far as i know. can't attack what isn't there.
9 Dec 2014, 04:39 AM

I think if you select the house instead of the unit. (as in click the house and then mark the house marker in the toolbar instead of the unit) You should be able to change the direction.
Though I might be mistaken, it might only be to select target.

Tried it, it's only to change targets, you can't change facing if there is no target.
9 Dec 2014, 05:01 AM

There has been a cry for manual facing and targeting for ages in countless threads, but they have not done that yet. This is very important because you want to secure your flank. Another important thing is Manual reload button for MGs.
9 Dec 2014, 05:09 AM

apparently it was an infamous bug that existed in the development of COH1. Someone messed up MGs in buildings and there was no way to order the mg to face a specific way.
9 Dec 2014, 06:03 AM

Golden rule: Never put snipers and German MGs inside of a building. You won't get lucky.
9 Dec 2014, 06:45 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Dec 2014, 05:01 AMRMMLz
There has been a cry for manual facing and targeting for ages in countless threads, but they have not done that yet.

But there was answer saying that its intended downside of superior garrison cover.

9 Dec 2014, 07:28 AM
Patrion 28

which really, only the MG42 and MG34 suffer from. the browning and maxim both reface and fire as fast as a unit can circle the larger buildings.
9 Dec 2014, 08:55 AM

In Coh2, buildings are deathtraps for MG34/42. Less for the Maxim and 30cal, but only because they reload faster.
I've had countless situations in which I thought it should be good to get that mg42 in a house and stop the enemy from taking the sector. What happend: 3 Squads came from one direction, MG was constantly switching windows, got killed by small arms before it was able to make one burst. Thats crowd control power combined with the best cover in the game, yay.
9 Dec 2014, 09:06 AM
Patrion 28

all you have to do is approach from a bad angle and circle the house a little. MG42/32 will never fire.
9 Dec 2014, 09:34 AM

But there was answer saying that its intended downside of superior garrison cover.

Really? I did not see that thanks for mentioning, but still I think there should be some sort of control. Maybe some kind of cooldown if you face the MG in a direction, like 5-6 seconds. Right now you can just Circle a garrisoned MG with a couple of squads and wipe it. I know it needs micro to do that and you should be rewarded if you can manage but a little bit more control would be nice.
9 Dec 2014, 09:55 AM

The problem with that logic is that the Maxim and M2 still work pretty well in buildings, while the MG 34 and MG 42 do not.
9 Dec 2014, 11:56 AM

The problem with that logic is that the Maxim and M2 still work pretty well in buildings, while the MG 34 and MG 42 do not.

Thats design decision.
Switching sides is is dependent on reload speed.

Maxims are useful in buildings, while MG42/34 are not, but there is nothing wrong with it really.
LMG grens are exponentially more viable in buildings then conscripts as well, but you don't see people complaining about it all the time.

Some units have advantages over others in given circumstances, its asymmetrical balance at its finest here and as I've said already, its not like axis doesn't have units that get the advantage in garrisons over allied infantry.
9 Dec 2014, 12:00 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

The Epic Amazeballs Massive-Giant Don't Call It A Pumpkin Patch October 29th Update
Improvements

Building “panels” now have a real health value, rather than rigid conditional destruction
Buildings can now have independent tuning for their “panel health”
Area of Effect weapons can now have independent tuning for how they damage panels over their AOE
Buildings are now destroyed when 50% of their total panel health is reached, rather than 50% of total panels destroyed
All team weapons which can be garrisoned within a building now share the same setup/re-position time of 4 seconds. This means a MG42 will take 4 seconds to switch windows and begin firing, as opposed to their old functionality which relied on their reload time. This creates more consistent behavior between team weapons and prevents some weapons from having delays as high as 6 or 7 seconds.
9 Dec 2014, 12:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Dec 2014, 09:34 AMRMMLz
Right now you can just Circle a garrisoned MG with a couple of squads and wipe it.

Actually you can do it with one squad.

Dancing as it used to be called in CoH1 is effective against all MGs in buildings. If a squad manages to get close to the building the MG is done. All it can hope for getting out and retreat alive.

This is as far as I can tell a deliberate design decision. Putting MGs in buildings and they changing facing automatically is low micro compared to setting them up with a specific facing and the player having to keep an eye on it getting flanked. Inside a building the MG also receives all round cover. To prevent map lock down by just puting one MG into each house in a important position there has to be a drawback. Wich is your unattended MG will be overcome by a (well) microed squad.

At some point in CoH1 history there was a build were the player actually could decide wich side of the building the MG would look out and even focus fire them.
This became so powerfull it had severe impact on the early game meta. Because it was extremly hard to outmicro and flank a microed MG in a building.
In CoH1 all factions had T1 hard counters against MGs. This is not the case in CoH2. Further more not every faction has a T1 MG available.
9 Dec 2014, 15:17 PM

So you all have pointed out that mgs in builds are not a good choice, and the main factor is because the mgs will always switch windows, Being able to manually target would at least make them more viable
9 Dec 2014, 16:04 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

ITT: at least 90% of the people don't read the changelogs.
9 Dec 2014, 16:17 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

ITT: at least 90% of the people don't read the changelogs.

you didnt know it either
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS