Login

russian armor

Veterancy for units performing non-combat actions

22 Aug 2014, 08:23 AM
Patrion 27

I would like to see builder units gaining a small amount of exp for building mines, barbed wire, base buildings, bunkers, howitzers, pak43's... etc maybe from repairing vehicles too since the Soviet and Ostheer builders tend to struggle to get to veterancy 2 for improved repair speed.

OKW units gain some veterancy from scavenging vehicles.

I would also like to see the USF Captain gain a bit of veterancy from each unit that it "Supervises" on to the battlefield and general see more rewards for units fulfilling multiple roles on the battlefield beyond giving and receiving damage.

What do you guys think?
22 Aug 2014, 08:54 AM

The last thing the game needs is ruining the concept of veterancy even more - it needs to be harder to get vet not easier
22 Aug 2014, 09:00 AM
Patrion 14

Sounds nice. Obligatory mention of Panzer Elite veterancy from CoH1. Non-combat units which loitered near combat would receive their share of the veterancy and get defensive bonuses. Vet3 Kettenkrads for the win.

XP gain from building stuff that costs no resources (wire, sandbags) might be open to abuse though.

Also give exp to detecting a mine (only once for each mine obviously). If you place a lot of mines and the enemy takes the time and micro to detect them, his engineer corps should be rewarded with experience points. "Build and detect stuff => repair faster" makes a lot more sense than "shoot stuff => repair faster".
22 Aug 2014, 09:01 AM

I agree on the builder units.

The captain on the other hand, I think his veterancy is fine. Those 2 bazookas rack up tons of XP one you start hitting vehicles with them.
22 Aug 2014, 09:46 AM
Patrion 14

i agree on giving exp to CE/Pio for repairing only. it sucks that once you go minesweeper for these units, you practically forgo a chance to get them to vet 2 (for faster repairs).

not sturmpios because they can sheath minesweeper and not RE because they have volley fire.
22 Aug 2014, 10:00 AM
Senior Caster Badge

I agree for sweeping mines and repairing, building stuff could be a bit exploitive. Whilst we're at it, how about half tracks gaining veterency from reinforces?
22 Aug 2014, 14:58 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Repairing should give xp (except for SP due to combat capabilities)
Mines COULD give xp. Someone could argue it would be an easy way of getting vet3 engineers on an instant, therefore it could be xp gain only for building/defusing them.
RE/Pios could get xp for building bunkers.

I´m not sure regarding xp from base buildings and obviously NO to things which are free (barb wire, sandbags, tanktraps, etc.)
22 Aug 2014, 15:03 PM

The only thing related to that I would like to see is squads with sweepers equipped would gain vet by repairing/mines excluding sturmpios for obvious reasons.
Vaz
22 Aug 2014, 15:03 PM

first thing I'm going to do is have my engineer build a hurricane of wire to get vet2 for faster repair :D
22 Aug 2014, 15:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Aug 2014, 15:03 PMVaz
first thing I'm going to do is have my engineer build a hurricane of wire to get vet2 for faster repair :D

I'd limit that to building things that actually cost something :nahnah:
nee
23 Aug 2014, 00:34 AM

XP that goes toward CP for dotrines is OK, but units houldn't gain veterancy for building fences.

Building mines or other thins that cost however might be different. I'd think the amount should be VERY small though.
23 Aug 2014, 01:26 AM

Agreed that WM and SU repair units should gain veterancy from repairing. US and OKW have a huge repair advantage over the Ostheer and Soviets. US has the best repair in the game, followed by OKW, then Soviet and Ostheer.

Specifically:

US has Rear Echelon Troops for basic repair, Vehicle Crews that can do basic repair and critical repair, and Assault Engineers at Vet 1 can do quick repair and critical repair.

OKW has Sturmpioneers which with minesweeper become excellent at repairs, they also have an optional repair truck.

Soviets have Engineers which are good for basic repairs, and quick repairs at Vet 2. Doctrines give them access to vehicle repairs, or repair stations.

Ostheer has Pioneers which can do basic repair until Vet 2 where they can do quick repairs. They can get it instantly with Elite Troops.
nee
4 Sep 2014, 18:44 PM

Agreed, when playing as Ostheer, Pioniers are the only means to repair vehicles, unless you happen to play a map that features the repair point. But that's far too circumstantial to be considered fair compensation.
Upgrade speed at vet2 is fine, it's just that in order to get that you need the pioniers to go out fighting. Fine it itself except that I find pioniers pretty bad at that, even at close range.
I can only think of future doctrinal abilities such as being able to upgrade a bunker to spawn mechanics or allow Pioniers to do Critical Repair as alternatives for Ostheer.

Personally I think USF vehicle crews should only do Rudimentary repairs (that is, the same slower repair for Soviet Conscripts). IMO, being able to repair on their own is already a big advantage, and if sustaining critical hits that retreating far away is not possible, they can always just do Critical Repair instead. This I think would help nullify the big advantage they have without having to buff up the other factions' repair abilities. There is little reason for any USF player to not have any spar Rear Echelons to help out either.
4 Sep 2014, 18:49 PM

I'd rather keeping the veterancy right now as it is (maybe sweeping and planting mines should give some) but would change only one thing; fighting against higher vet units shouldn't give a vet gaining bonus
4 Sep 2014, 20:06 PM

I'd rather keeping the veterancy right now as it is (maybe sweeping and planting mines should give some) but would change only one thing; fighting against higher vet units shouldn't give a vet gaining bonus

Why not? I think it makes a lot of sense.

Surviving a battle against vet3 enemy units should be more rewarding than against vet0 ones.
4 Sep 2014, 20:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Sep 2014, 20:06 PMGreeb

Why not? I think it makes a lot of sense.

Surviving a battle against vet3 enemy units should be more rewarding than against vet0 ones.

It's also less forgiving and allows players to make comaback easier if they can't keep their vetted troops alive. you should be punished severly if you lose vetted units.
5 Sep 2014, 18:42 PM

do you mean the other way around? eg a vet2 shouldnt be able to get experience from killing a vet0?
5 Sep 2014, 18:48 PM

do you mean the other way around? eg a vet2 shouldnt be able to get experience from killing a vet0?

Nope, I mean fighting a vet 2 gren fighting with your vet 0 cons shouldn't give your cons a veterancy earning buff just because the gren is vetted. It makes comebacks much easier and less emphasis on keeping vet units alive. Losing vet troops should be more punishing.
6 Sep 2014, 08:08 AM

it kind of goes both ways though, if youre up against higher vet units theyll kill you more easily and against units like shock troopers or sturmpioneers you run a real risk of getting nearly insta whiped when theyre vetted up.. and if theyre not already at max vet level you'll probably give it to them from that single engagement.

though TBH, ive never personally been in a game where i lost my troops half way through the game, then bought fresh troops and got them vetted up (maybe rarely ill get a vet 1 or something). usually the game is over for one reason or another by that point
6 Sep 2014, 08:32 AM

Agreed to XP for repairs, paid builds and mine sweeping.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★