Login

russian armor

Assault Engineers and Vehicle Crews are Useless

3 Aug 2014, 16:39 PM

You could always pull them back from front-line duty after the first 5-10 minutes and have them devoted to demo charging duty- that's their strongest aspect anyway. having more DPS than assgrens and being able to instantly fix crits and repair is icing on the cake.

The thing is they come out at that time for the mechanized commander. And it's at about that time you probably start giving them flamethrowers.
3 Aug 2014, 17:36 PM

Assualt engineers really need some sort of endurance bonus with their vet.

they already get one at vet 2

Code
| | | | | | veterancy_rank: {
| | | | | | | experience_value: 1120f;

| | | | | | | | | | received_accuracy_modifier: {
| | | | | | | | | | | $REF: "modifiers\received_accuracy_modifier.lua";
| | | | | | | | | | | usage_type: "multiplication";
| | | | | | | | | | | value: 0.71f;
3 Aug 2014, 18:12 PM

This is correct in theory, but it also depends on the opposition. The OKW is obviously an issue with their FJ, sturmpios, and obers.

These units cut down AssEngs due to their firepower.

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Aug 2014, 06:35 AMwooof
i guarantee youre using assault engineers wrong. at 8m or less, the squad does 52 dps. sturm pios only do 57 dps. assault grens only do 42. considering theyre cost, theyre pretty damn good. their only weakness is their damage drops off much faster than sturms and assault grens. they do barely any damage at 14m or greater.

get close. watch squads melt.
3 Aug 2014, 19:15 PM

I remember when Pioneers did damage and everyone lost their minds and cried for nerfs were everywhere, but for 60 manpower more Assault Engineers do twice as much damage and people want them buffed more.

This community is so weird sometimes.
3 Aug 2014, 19:59 PM

I remember when Pioneers did damage and everyone lost their minds and cried for nerfs were everywhere, but for 60 manpower more Assault Engineers do twice as much damage and people want them buffed more.

Both OKW and Ost have good long-range infantry to avoid Assault Engineers getting close.

When Pios were overbuffed, Soviets didn't have any reliable long-range infantry to avoid CQC with them.
3 Aug 2014, 20:00 PM

80 more, doctrinal and going up against firepower designed to fight 5-6man squads while being 4.

I like bursting them bias bubbles. They pop so easily.
3 Aug 2014, 20:56 PM

I think Assault Engineers are quite fun to incorporate into US strategies and I was more or less successful when trying them. However, I think they should be treated as close quarters and flanking elite infantry. If they can wait behind a hedge or flank around houses, they are very effective. You still won't want more than 1 or at most 2 squads of them for that role, though.

Their demo charges are also great, especially considering US otherwise has a lack of mines. It also helps them get to Vet 2 for the received accuracy modifier.

I think when they are in the right situations they are pretty good but in other situations they of course get decimated. So they are pretty niche.
Does that niche limitation make them bad? I do not think so. Rather, I think other US options are over-performing and/or are not properly limited to any niches. For example, Riflemen tend to do well in all combat situations and even the weapon upgrades tend to simply make them better at that instead of making them better close range or long range units.

It is a bit like the Panzergrenadier situation: They are not bad on paper and they are not bad when used in the right situations. But everyone is just using LMG grens instead because they are performing well on all ranges and are easier to use.

However, Assault Engineers' high damage potential also puts them in the same balance conundrum as Panzergrenadiers: If you buff them, you can quickly get a unit that just indiscriminately walks over all enemy units. I think this is one main reason why we haven't seen many PGren changes. In the end they also double as builder units, have demo charges (good utility for non-mine faction) and can repair.

So in short: They are not bad, it is just other US options overperforming and invading their niche and changing them can lead to severe balance problems.
4 Aug 2014, 00:26 AM

I agree that AE's can do damage, it's mainly the fact that they can't take any hits! Unless you are right on top of a unit, AE's fall like flies.

Vehicle Crew's armor is a joke, their entire squad dies within 2-3 seconds if left unattended outside of a vehicle. I would like to see them either become deadlier at close range, or given a large HP upgrade. I've lost many VC's because I forget about them for several seconds and they are dead before I can get them back in their vehicles :( I feel they are really just underperforming completely.
4 Aug 2014, 00:39 AM

Vehicle crews arent supposed to do anything but repair the vehicle and cap. If anything, they shouldnt even exist as the two things they do exist in ability form.

Thompson upgrade is joke. "Have passive-roled infantry that are supposed to be operating your vehicles become assault infantry". Sure. Ill just abandon all my vehicles and charge with my vehicle crews.
4 Aug 2014, 01:28 AM

Vehicle crews arent supposed to do anything but repair the vehicle and cap. If anything, they shouldnt even exist as the two things they do exist in ability form.

Thompson upgrade is joke. "Have passive-roled infantry that are supposed to be operating your vehicles become assault infantry". Sure. Ill just abandon all my vehicles and charge with my vehicle crews.

That ability needs to be removed, or actually made into something useful.

It's a total waste of a slot, an utter waste. Show me one ability in this game that is as useless?
4 Aug 2014, 01:45 AM

I was using intense sarcasm. Thompson upgrade for for vehicle crews is really stupid. Cant we just thompson upgrade our Rear Archelon instead?
4 Aug 2014, 02:08 AM

Assault Engineers are the key to my US 1v1 strategy, not for their fighting skill but rather their ability to plant demos. Vehicle crews do what they're intended to do, repair vehicles, nothing else. Pretty ridiculous when you are able to repair your vehicle with the crew inside while every other faction can't. Buffing them would be a dumb move.
4 Aug 2014, 02:21 AM

Assault Engineers are the key to my US 1v1 strategy, not for their fighting skill but rather their ability to plant demos. Vehicle crews do what they're intended to do, repair vehicles, nothing else. Pretty ridiculous when you are able to repair your vehicle with the crew inside while every other faction can't. Buffing them would be a dumb move.

If buffing them is a dumb move, then just make the ability SOMETHING useful...anything will do, really. It is silly to have a commander with a skill so utterly useless.
4 Aug 2014, 02:26 AM

If buffing them is a dumb move, then just make the ability SOMETHING useful...anything will do, really. It is silly to have a commander with a skill so utterly useless.

Yep, that'll do. My post was merely addressing a proposal to make Vehicle Crews more anti-inf than repair-inf with or without the upgrade.
4 Aug 2014, 02:30 AM

Yeah I agree with you Von. It seems like they want you to fight with them, but why? lol. It isn't clicking with me.
4 Aug 2014, 03:34 AM

Yeah I agree with you Von. It seems like they want you to fight with them, but why? lol. It isn't clicking with me.
I think they intended players to bail out of vehicles so that they can save the crew and still maintain an extra squad, but that situation is ridiculous. No player is going to risk a tank falling into the hands of their enemy just to save a glorified engineer unit. And even if they did 90 munitions is a lot to invest into crappy assault unit that will wipe if its even looked at funny.
4 Aug 2014, 04:23 AM

I actually try with all my might to save my crew. It does pay off if you're accurate enough to time the crew bail with the next shot of the enemy tank.

Although the 90 Munitions sink for those Thompsons just isn't worth it. I tested it recently, they struggle versus Pioneers.
4 Aug 2014, 05:13 AM
Patrion 15

Personally I'm playing almost exclusively comp stomps, you might be right about the re-targeting of the troops you are attacking in online games. But wouldn't the same hold true for sturm pioneers? There's no difference in armor for these two units as far as I know.

Or maybe try to utilize cover to the best of your abilities when closing the gap as Relic intended cqc units to be required to do as of a couple of patches ago when they tinkered with the cover system and dps.

The difference between AEs and sturmpios is their effective range. Sturmpios deal far more damage at mid range. AEs deal next to no damage until you are nearly point blank.
4 Aug 2014, 06:08 AM

The difference between AEs and sturmpios is their effective range. Sturmpios deal far more damage at mid range. AEs deal next to no damage until you are nearly point blank.

Yes just like assault grens and that is why allot of people struggle using them.
4 Aug 2014, 07:57 AM
Patrion 15

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Aug 2014, 06:08 AMAbdul

Yes just like assault grens and that is why allot of people struggle using them.

Ass grens can function decently because they have sprint and a 5 man squad. AEs don't come anywhere close to being as combat effective as ass grens, aside from their demo charges, which by themselves justify the cost if used well.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

South Africa 1
Germany 829
Germany 5

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak