Login

russian armor

US faction able to go at will over population cap (normal?)

30 Jul 2014, 00:34 AM

I think the solution could be easy by just don't letting capture vehicles when your pop is over 100.

i.e:
99 pop and you recrew a tank: YES you can (pop is now 109)
101 pop and you try to recrew a tank: NO you can't get inside any tank until you low your pop less than 100, you can decrew other tanks to just crew new ones.

Just disable de order of recrewing tanks when clicking on it if your pop cap is on the limit.

This is probably the easiest and best way to quickly fix it! +1
30 Jul 2014, 00:46 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

The only way i can see this being significant is if you're spamming the E8 and going over the cap with that,and if thats the case then just wait till this commander stops being free for everyone and the E8 becomes truly rare again(Like it should be). thats the only really fair solution.

It really really doesnt matter if you have 3-4 extra stock sherms or jacksons,because realistically thats all the extra you're going to get in any serious game, anyway. STOCK american tanks die so easy sometimes(all the time) its borderline necessary to go over the cap a little
to have a really nice extra late game armored force. Its one of the Pros of the americans IMO.
The con is drastically reduced manpower income and complicated reinforcement,since u have to take ur tanks out of combat in order to reinforce,which in a way balances this.

And seriously,even if you somehow let this happen,L2 destroy fuel caches or cap fuel points because the ONLY times ive been able to truly pull this off was in 3v3-4v4 placement games where we had both fuels and or a ton of caches that were never destroyed.(notice my 3v3 record)

I can see this being really effective and OP with the E8 though if you can pull it off,since it is the best tank in the game,ESPECIALLY in numbers like that.
30 Jul 2014, 02:08 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2014, 00:34 AMkorgoth

This is probably the easiest and best way to quickly fix it! +1

100% agreed.
30 Jul 2014, 04:16 AM

I think the bigger issue is the current system in place for population kind of sucks. It was fine before that one patch which made everything super expension population wise
30 Jul 2014, 04:58 AM

I think the solution could be easy by just don't letting capture vehicles when your pop is over 100.

i.e:
101 pop and you try to recrew a tank: NO you can't get inside any tank until you low your pop less than 100, you can decrew other tanks to just crew new ones.

Just disable de order of recrewing tanks when clicking on it if your pop cap is on the limit.

I mean lets get real for a moment here.

What game are you playing where an american player can sit back and build enough tanks for population to matter?

30 Jul 2014, 06:10 AM

i.e:

Best solution. Hey Relic, listen to this guy!
30 Jul 2014, 06:21 AM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2014, 21:16 PMNoun

This is not what a bug is. It's a result of design choices, and we know about it.

Anything else you want to give allied nations an advantage of. Or is there more to come. Because atm its ridiculous. /sarcasm

Look at the win rate %s of top players. Atm soviets and US dominating and you continue to do nothing to help axis. LOL
30 Jul 2014, 06:46 AM
Patrion 14

@ Kyle, one of the factions design is crews repairing tanks. Imagine this.

You are pop capped have a damaged tank and a squad that is not full. You pop out your tank crew, suddenly there is enough pop for your queued squad to reinforce the last members. And voila, your tank is dead in the water. Ofc you can use CEs to repair tanks, but taking design into question the solution you propose insnt really all that easy to be honest.

Also, all other factions can go above 100 pop if they chose to steal abandoned tanks as well (and crew weapons for that matter). Not saying it is not exploitable, but it is a complex thing to adress. IF it needs to be addressed.
30 Jul 2014, 08:41 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2014, 06:46 AMLe Wish

You are pop capped have a damaged tank and a squad that is not full. You pop out your tank crew, suddenly there is enough pop for your queued squad to reinforce the last members. And voila, your tank is dead in the water. Ofc you can use CEs to repair tanks, but taking design into question the solution you propose insnt really all that easy to be honest.

Also, all other factions can go above 100 pop if they chose to steal abandoned tanks as well (and crew weapons for that matter). Not saying it is not exploitable, but it is a complex thing to adress. IF it needs to be addressed.
Exactly! This preposed change would just create other problems. I'd rather wait and get a full solution rather then a half assed measure that makes more issues.
30 Jul 2014, 10:01 AM
Patrion 14

Let me add another thing to consider. While it is possible to go beyond pop cap with the US faction more easily, I have never seen or played a match where this had any impact. Furthermore the faction design also has the drawback that capturing an abadoned vehicle always means the loss of the field presence of the squad that captures the vehicle. Of course you can later abandon the vehicle but you loose an infantry unit for the time it mans the vehicle.

This mechanic makes capturing abandoned vehicles in addition riskier: Most abandoned vehicles are heavily damaged and in most cases can be destroyed quickly. The destruction of the vehicle always means the loss of the entire squad.

In summary, the faction design allows the US forces to go over pop cap more easily, but has so far to have any significant impact. On the other hand, the same faction design has 2 rather obvious drawbacks, one if which increases the risk of loosing a squad on the off chance of securing an abandoned tank. I would argue that these two points will impact a game more frequently than the ability to more easily exceed the pop cap level.
30 Jul 2014, 10:14 AM

if your opponent manages to blow up the population limit, then it's all gone wrong anyway.
The few more units then change nothing in the result ...

30 Jul 2014, 10:17 AM

Let me add another thing to consider. While it is possible to go beyond pop cap with the US faction more easily, I have never seen or played a match where this had any impact. Furthermore the faction design also has the drawback that capturing an abadoned vehicle always means the loss of the field presence of the squad that captures the vehicle. Of course you can later abandon the vehicle but you loose an infantry unit for the time it mans the vehicle.

This mechanic makes capturing abandoned vehicles in addition riskier: Most abandoned vehicles are heavily damaged and in most cases can be destroyed quickly. The destruction of the vehicle always means the loss of the entire squad.

In summary, the faction design allows the US forces to go over pop cap more easily, but has so far to have any significant impact. On the other hand, the same faction design has 2 rather obvious drawbacks, one if which increases the risk of loosing a squad at the off chance to secure a tank that was abandoned. I would argue that these two points will impact a game more frequently than the ability to more easily exceed the pop cap level.
Nice point. I've lost several squads of upgraded rifles attempting to steal various abandoned tanks. Other factions would have been able to take those vehicles and still retreat the rest of the squad.
30 Jul 2014, 11:11 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2014, 06:46 AMLe Wish

It's easy then, the solution will be to let you capture vehicles with 100 pop but not with 101.

In your example:
you decrew your tank and your queued squads start reinforcing and "voilà" your pop is 100 now (It won't be higher than 100 because reinforce/production system don't let you overpass 100).. You CAN crew back your tank.

With that solution, nobody will be affected by production/reinforcing queues, you will be able to crew/decrew your existing vehicles but now getting new ones. The max pop you can get with that system is 114 which is only 1 extra tank in terms of pop.

Change your mind, find a solution in every problem.

About the implementation of that solution it should be easy in terms of programming, just make a check before every action of crewing tanks (just as its made for building mines or building units when you don't have the resources or the free cap)

As far as I know, I can start building a tank when my cap is 99, my resources are spent but the tank will never come to the battlefield until the cap is free. This is because the game is checking the availability of pop cap.
30 Jul 2014, 11:21 AM

Nice point. I've lost several squads of upgraded rifles attempting to steal various abandoned tanks. Other factions would have been able to take those vehicles and still retreat the rest of the squad.

I only use Rear echelon squads to capture abandoned tanks that are heavy damaged and in the middle of the battlefield.

It's a suicide to use a vetted/upgraded riflemen to capture it. USA crew system have more advantages than disadvantages.

I would also add a small delay for capturing vehicles as it is for decrewing it (this should be applied to every factions). It's not fair to rush with my infantry, see a sherman being repaired by his crew and being insta crewed without having the chance to kill some of the crew members.
People should find safer places to repair vehicles instead of capturing a VP with your crew repairing in a zone that is not controlled by you without risk because if you find a problem you will crew fast and get back. Just my oppinion.
30 Jul 2014, 11:28 AM

maybe they could make multiple vehicle crews for every american tank which then have the same popcap cost as the tank where they come from, so you dont get free popcap for leaving your tank

would just be mostly copy paste oft the vehicle crew and the ability to leave the tank
30 Jul 2014, 11:52 AM

maybe they could make multiple vehicle crews for every american tank which then have the same popcap cost as the tank where they come from, so you dont get free popcap for leaving your tank

would just be mostly copy paste oft the vehicle crew and the ability to leave the tank

Not fair, so if I loose my Easy 8 but I save my crew and I put them back into a m20, I'll be penalized. Plus that solution requires a big modification in the COH2 core system.

I prefer easier solutions.
30 Jul 2014, 12:05 PM

well then you could still give them the option to rebuy their destroyed tank for lesser mp cost, and were would there be big modifications just copy paste the squad and give it to every US tank, german and russian tanks are basically unaffected,

and well i dont see how you can do an easy solution here without it backfiring to a certain degree
30 Jul 2014, 12:37 PM

I'm not justifying it. It's a problem that needs to be fixed, but a lot of people who don't know anything about how programs work think that it can be fixed like everything else. It's not a number or stat somewhere or bug in the code. It's a complete oversight that has to do with the way embarking is tied to abandonment.

They need to re code things which is hard the way things can be tied together when coding. This is something that's going to take months to fix and can't be hot patched in a few weeks.

Assumption, assumption. Without having access to the code behind the game, we can't know whether it is a fix implying lots of work or half a man-day. Since the issue has been reported quite a while ago, we may think that it would have been fixed if it was an easy task, but since no-one acknowledged the issue was currently being reviewed by the dev team (or at least AFAIK), we can't be sure.

Since it is not broadly abused for the moment, it is not game breaking enough to be a top priority, so it might be fixed in a long time from now.

I'm not a game dev, but i'm a dev for bank software engineering, i might know a thing or two about programming, in case you wonder.
30 Jul 2014, 13:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2014, 17:53 PMKatitof
And I still have yet to see a single 1v1 or 2v2 rep where it mattered.

Please Katitof, stop with that. Because you didnt see it, that dosent mean that it happens and it matters. Not only the Pros have the right to do this, if a noob plays against another noob, it can matter.

So again, Please STOP!!!
30 Jul 2014, 13:29 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jul 2014, 21:16 PMNoun

This is not what a bug is. It's a result of design choices, and we know about it.

Well ok then, edited to exploit. Hope for a fix soon?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★