Login

russian armor

US faction able to go at will over population cap (normal?)

31 Jul 2014, 21:07 PM

I'm in the top 10-50 in 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 automatch (slumped a bit this week I assume, been pulling 16 hour work days, not had time to play).

I've never seen it.

As you said. Players build the tanks because they need the tanks. We don't have time to twiddle our thumbs in base and wait for a push in a bit.

The closest I get is when I have jacksons or wolverines in 2v2. Maps are small enough that I can just have the crew wait by the vehicle having a smoke until I know where my anti-armour is needed next. Saves me a little MP over time.

You did not get it...
You exit your 2 tanks and you call 2 more call-in rifleman or you reinforce 3 squads then you get back in the tanks,,, you may also get one more call in tanks... you have virtually no pop cap as US.
31 Jul 2014, 21:10 PM

You did not get it...
You exit your 2 tanks and you call 2 more call-in rifleman or you reinforce 3 squads then you get back in the tanks,,, you may also get one more call in tanks... you have virtually no pop cap as US.

Dude. I get it. I know exactly how it works, I'm not a moron.

I also know it has zero impact on any of my games because I so rarely hit pop cap and almost never have the float while at pop cap to make more units. Unless the game is already won, anyway.

Some of us fight with our troops.

(As it happens the pop cap for the USF maxes out somewhere around ~280 if you have nothing but vehicle crews standing next to empty tanks)
31 Jul 2014, 21:17 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

It's getting a little heated. 2 guys with evident intellect. :)

Please let's keep respect for each other (and the forum), as you debate, not crucify? :)
31 Jul 2014, 21:22 PM

most people seem to be missing the point here a bit. building 5 shermans and letting them sit in the base so you can exceed pop cap is obviously only going to happen in a bad game. i assume this is what people are picturing when they say "i need my tanks"

the much more likely scenario, which does happen (ive done it many times in 3v3s), is to have multiple tanks out on the field and a few infantry squads at the base. you cant reinforce due to pop cap, so you pull tanks back just out of sight, hop out, reinforce, then hop back in. youll typically only get to 105-110 pop from this unless you have a ton of infantry. this is slightly unfair, but i wouldnt say its game breaking.

i think the fixes to prevent this would do more harm than good, such as attaching more pop to crews or not allowing units to recrew abandoned vehicles/weapons when over 100 pop. i think both sides of this debate are exaggerating though. this can be abused in higher skill games, but it also isnt as big a problem as some are making it out to be.
1 Aug 2014, 01:17 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Jul 2014, 21:22 PMwooof
most people seem to be missing the point here a bit. building 5 shermans and letting them sit in the base so you can exceed pop cap is obviously only going to happen in a bad game. i assume this is what people are picturing when they say "i need my tanks"

the much more likely scenario, which does happen (ive done it many times in 3v3s), is to have multiple tanks out on the field and a few infantry squads at the base. you cant reinforce due to pop cap, so you pull tanks back just out of sight, hop out, reinforce, then hop back in. youll typically only get to 105-110 pop from this unless you have a ton of infantry. this is slightly unfair, but i wouldnt say its game breaking.

i think the fixes to prevent this would do more harm than good, such as attaching more pop to crews or not allowing units to recrew abandoned vehicles/weapons when over 100 pop. i think both sides of this debate are exaggerating though. this can be abused in higher skill games, but it also isnt as big a problem as some are making it out to be.

Well maybe it not that important in your game , but it is a big unfair advantage in ours...
It just that a bug is a bug and it's currently a bad one. It need to be fix asap. Or Relic must say clearly that is a US perk that is balanced.

By the way, i am truly sorry if i unjustly hurted someone, it wasn't intended at all.

Only the Us faction can reinforce its infantry at will in overcap (as above).

Only the US can grab a Tiger and still have a lot of rifle just by decrewing it will they build them and repair the tiger at the same time...).

Try to use it actively in you games, you will see how unfair it is.

Thanks for your comments.
1 Aug 2014, 01:45 AM

Well maybe it not that important in your game , but it is a big unfair advantage in ours...
It just that a bug is a bug and it's currently a bad one. It need to be fix asap. Or Relic must say clearly that is a US perk that is balanced.

By the way, i am truly sorry if i unjustly hurted someone, it wasn't intended at all.

Only the Us faction can reinforce its infantry at will in overcap (as above).

Only the US can grab a Tiger and still have a lot of rifle just by decrewing it will they build them and repair the tiger at the same time...).

Try to use it actively in you games, you will see how unfair it is.

Thanks for your comments.

It's not a bug. It's a result a design decisions. Which is a bit different.
6 Jan 2015, 13:51 PM

Is this "design choice" still present in game?
Just had a 1v1 as ostheer and had to handle three shermans accompanied by three jacksons and 6+ infantry units running about.
Looks like exploit for me.
CoH2 is aspiring for ESL?:loco:
6 Jan 2015, 13:58 PM

Just had a 1v1 as ostheer and had to handle three shermans accompanied by three jacksons and 6+ infantry units running about.

If you allowed your enemy to get 3 Shermans and 3 Jacksons, there is something wrong.
6 Jan 2015, 16:18 PM

If you allowed your enemy to get 3 Shermans and 3 Jacksons, there is something wrong.

Oh my fav reply, "if you allowed XXX then there's sth wrong"...
That's not the friggin point.
6 Jan 2015, 17:13 PM

It kinda is the point in that if your opponent has 3 shermans and Jackson out at the same time you've almost certainly lost at that point, thus making the pop cap thing a moot point.
6 Jan 2015, 17:16 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Well it is the point... if you let someone get 3 shermans and 3 jacksons and you dont have a similar sized force to counter it then theres a problem with what happened during the game,a LTP issue, such as too much fuel allowed, too passive, etc etc.

This "Exploit" simply doesnt work in any serious contest.

I used to go to 110 120 pop cap all the time,never more than 130 or 140,and whats that...1,2 more tanks???

This was during the early days of WFA with placement matchmaking,and even then it only won me games that were already won, or were just cluster fucks in general with equally bs "exploits" like Luftwaffe supply to OKW player, or opel cache spam

but as i rose the ranks that become increasingly more difficult and even pointless to even try to pull off,matter of fact i havent even tried it in months. it just doesnt work.

While you're waiting for your sherman train to reach critical mass,any competent player will just build tellers,Paks, schumines shrek blobs,etc and be ready for you.

As you all know how good axis AT is...especially when you have time to prepare.

6 Jan 2015, 17:19 PM

You guys complaining about what exactly? US needs like six medium tanks to the two Kingtigers OKW or 3 Tigers that Ostheer is capable of getting, nevermind the fact that you going to have more and better AT than the US player.

You call the US having more tanks/popcap unfair when most US tanks pop so easily and struggle uphill against what I would call unfair tanks like the Tiger, Panther, King Tiger and Jagdtiger? US needs more tanks and this is seriously a learn to play issue.
6 Jan 2015, 18:38 PM

It absolutely is. If your opponent can concentrate that kind of armor you screwed up bad. Never mind the fact that US strictly has little or no end game.
6 Jan 2015, 18:52 PM

taking a tank out of the action to reenforce a squad is hardly an advantage. You had to take a tank out of the action to do it. If youre putting such little pressure that your opponent thinks a good strategy is to take a tank out of battle for almost no reason- I'm sure hes already won and is now toying with you.
6 Jan 2015, 23:26 PM

Its and old post, but as that time i haven't yet gauge the full power of the Axis.

I can say now, that a feature that represent the enormous industrial capacity of the US. It's an advantage that should be use to it's full potential to help in closing the gap versus the Axis superior units.

:)
7 Jan 2015, 05:25 AM

If youre putting such little pressure that your opponent thinks a good strategy is to take a tank out of battle for almost no reason- I'm sure hes already won and is now toying with you.

Putting tanks out of battle as a strategy?
All he needs to do is to dismount his vehicles to REPAIR them.. it's not a STRATEGY, it's what you always do as USF, cause it's one of your biggest advantages.

It was a long, over 50 minutes game - we reached a stalemale, he couldn't get my tigers and I was unable to kill his tanks due to p47 runs, jacksons and HE sherman shells ripping my paks and pgrens.
My opponent was able to secure the victory due to much bigger presence on the battlefield which he achieved by going over the cap.

Its and old post, but as that time i haven't yet gauge the full power of the Axis.

I can say now, that a feature that represent the enormous industrial capacity of the US. It's an advantage that should be use to it's full potential to help in closing the gap versus the Axis superior units.

:)

If that's supposed to be a "feature that represent the enormous industrial capacity of the US" don't you think they could just make their tanks take sth like 5 pop? Or up their popcap to 150?
Right now it just looks like bad design.
25 Jan 2015, 20:45 PM

It was a long, over 50 minutes game - we reached a stalemale, he couldn't get my tigers and I was unable to kill his tanks due to p47 runs

Ostwind is a must against airborne it will take out p47s in first pass.

US over pop cap feature is not game breaking its ok... dont let him stack those tanks up, US gets no heavy armor so its ok to have a few extra tanks.
25 Jan 2015, 21:26 PM

Just had 1v1 as ostheer. I have three tigers and one StuG e, four grens with mg42 and mortar. Ostheer op?
25 Jan 2015, 22:30 PM

Well for those of you thinking it looks goofy for ESL, SCII Zerg players do this at the late game and its not looked down upon
25 Jan 2015, 23:01 PM

I think it's fine as long as US don't get heavy tanks.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★