Login

russian armor

Tanks providing green cover, etc.

24 Aug 2013, 06:50 AM

Hi,

To what extent can troops take cover behind vehicles? Tanks seems to provide green cover, but it's difficult to get troops to be fully behind and have the green shield icon appear. Tanks turning (especially stug) seems to cause troops to jump away and dance.

Does cover still apply when troops are close by behind with no shield icons appearing?

I don't quite understand cover mechanics, eg if troops get cover bonus if they are a bit behind obstacles (but have no shield icon appearing).

Thanks.
raw
24 Aug 2013, 10:59 AM

I'm wondering too. I *believe* I've read somewhere that the icon is just a visual help and cover is calculated individually for each unit.
25 Aug 2013, 03:09 AM

Interesting, I guess if someone could elaborate how far does a unit have to be near a cover to get the bonus would answer this thread.

I'm not sure if it's Unit AI/scripted where the unit sticks to cover, OR if it's dynamic (bonus granted if unit happens to be close enough to cover).
25 Aug 2013, 18:11 PM

cover is calculated entity based and is largely directional, so even if you have the green cover indicator, it does not necessarily mean that you get the bonus.
25 Aug 2013, 18:28 PM

Cover provided by vehicles is a good idea in theory but the infantry don't follow it if it drives away just a few meters or so and will end up standing in open or even negative cover because of it. Plus the small movements needed for many vehicles to aim their guns at something means that your infantry will jump away a lot and lose a lot of potential firing time.

It may be fun in the campaign or so but in multiplayer using it doesn't really make sense. Furthermore, you will want to have your vehicles behind your infantry most of the time so they can move back quickly and aren't in AT Grenade/Panzerfaust range.

If they'd stick to it, they'd get less damage/hits from weapons on the other side of the tank. Green cover is no longer as common as in CoH1, so in theory vehicles as cover could be a good thing if you don't want to keep your vehicles in the back but it simply doesn't work very well.
28 Aug 2013, 02:14 AM

Yea I like the idea as well. But, this also opens you up for more devastating indirect fire, artillery, mortars, etc.
28 Aug 2013, 02:23 AM

if you give the follow order to infantry on a tank infantry will snap to tank cover. (now i just wish it was true)
28 Aug 2013, 02:43 AM
Donator 11

Infantries that are not behind the tank will get killed a lot faster then the ones behind the tanks. Test it out with conscripts since they are a 6 man squad, most of the time you'll have some models not getting the cover and they will get killed first.

And like previous posters said, cover is directional, so if you are not behind the cover, you are not taking advantage of it.
28 Aug 2013, 08:31 AM

But how far away from the tank does the unit get cover. Only when the shield appears (because it represents overall), which must be very close to the tank?
28 Aug 2013, 12:38 PM
Benefactor 115

basically when you hover a map point the shield indicator on your pointer will tell you what bonus a model will get if he stands in that exact point.
If at least a model in your squad is in cover the icon will appear on the squad's picture (could just be one model tho).
cover is directional so it will dampen only the shots going through it
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

South Africa 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment