Login

russian armor

Dear Relic, can I have a word please? (Russian history)

• This thread is locked
PAGES (16)down
24 Jul 2013, 13:05 PM

This topic was removed twice from coh2 official forum without an explanation. I showed no dissrespect to any one, neither do I said something offensive. The only thing that can be offensive here - is my terrible English, and I am sorry for this.

I like this game, love the gameplay and the graphics. Blizzard, true sight, all other systems.
Also if you think that I am biased to soviets:
1) I hate everything connected to Stalin - he was a sick monster, same as high command of USSR during the WW2;
2) I am glad that USSR does not exist now - it was almost 1 century mistake for our countries;
3) There is no offense, nationalism, or hate toward you in my words - I am half-russian, but I don't proud to be one, neither I find any other race better or worse.
So please, find a GOOD reason to close this topic if you want people to stay respectfull to you and your team Dane.
Most of the threads about plot criticism are closed - and you wonder why people keep creating more.

I just trying to say that if you make a game about WW2, you have to understand that this game will be played by children, and they will see only bad in Soviet army fighting "neutral" Germans - which is not true.

Story had to explain what nazists did, how they killed 20 millions of civilians, and about their point of view about soviet and poland people and their plans there.

Yes, soviets raped and killed. Yes, they made a warcrimes (but lets take a look at civilian losses of Germans, and compare them to USSR. Or compare the the number of soviet warcrimes to the total number of army and compare the same statistics of allied, german troops - who will win in this comparison?

I don't know if your story is true - but from what I know (And i got an education in Ukraine, where after Soviet Union we hate everything connected to it), your story is subjective and biased.

It was a war between 2 sick ideology against people, who made a sacrifice for their mothers and freedom while they knew about their "so called leaders". Your story is full of non-existant facts, and hate to soviet people (20+ nationalities) .
You picture them like a stupid zombies who can rarely think themself.
I can't understand why are you doing this.

I will never pay a single cent to your company Relic.
And I promise to do my best, so all my friends in different countries and communities (Total War, DoW2 communities) will follow this example - two of them are already refused to buy after I explained why.
I hope it was just a mistake but not a payed order from someone.
Thank you for Dawn of War series Relic, but I hope you will become a bankcrupt soon (shame, Sega will not allow it).
I speak without any hate.
Thank you for reading.
24 Jul 2013, 13:28 PM

24 Jul 2013, 13:30 PM

Cya.

I don't say "goodbye" mate, i payed for this game, and I enjoy it (multiplayer). I will play it till I get bored, but I have my point of view which is - never to pay Relic ever again. This is a forum, and it's made for talking, right?
24 Jul 2013, 13:35 PM
Benefactor 115

Well the story was based on the book A Writer at War by Vasily Grossman.

A book that to my knowledge has not been published in Russia which makes it a controversial piece of material. Therefore the campaign would illicit controversy within Russia and former USSR countries.
24 Jul 2013, 13:36 PM
Patrion 26

Read your post and, use your brain a bit to figure out why this post was closed on the official forums. If you are half Russian and studied in Ukraine you should have brains to not post stupid stuff like this. I guess USSR education didn`t teach you a lot
24 Jul 2013, 13:39 PM

Read your post and, use your brain a bit to figure out why this post was closed on the official forums. If you are half Russian and studied in Ukraine you should have brains to not post stupid stuff like this. I guess USSR education didn`t teach you a lot

I recieved an education in Ukraine, not in USSR.
What you think is stupid in this topic?
24 Jul 2013, 13:39 PM

I've seen some silly threads on this forum but this may be the silliest. Mind blowing.

24 Jul 2013, 13:42 PM

uninstall
24 Jul 2013, 13:43 PM
Patrion 26

I recieved an education in Ukraine, not in USSR.
What you think is stupid in this topic?

Ukrain was part of USSR and as far as I know you had the same education with us.
I am Russian and I don`t complain about how they portrait the Soviet Army.
Most of it is a lie, I agree with it, but it`s not a reason to hate the company who made the game based on the same history books the kids read at school. If you seriously think a properly educated kid will believe what the game say then I highly doubt your education level.
And this forum was not made to discuss how bad one country was and how bad you hate USSR or Nazis. This forum was made to discuss the game.
24 Jul 2013, 13:46 PM
Patrion 26

I am half-russian, but I don't proud to be one

If you are not proud for who you are and what your ancestors did so you could sit here and throw shit on them, go hang yourself.
VRL
24 Jul 2013, 13:49 PM

I just trying to say that if you make a game about WW2, you have to understand that this game will be played by children, and they will see only bad in Soviet army fighting "neutral" Germans - which is not true.

This game is rated as an 18. It should not be played by children, and if parents wish to choose to allow their children to play it. Then it is not Relics problem
24 Jul 2013, 13:51 PM

Ukrain was part of USSR and as far as I know you had the same education with us.
I am Russian and I don`t complain about how they portrait the Soviet Army.
Most of it is a lie, I agree with it, but it`s not a reason to hate the company who made the game based on the same history books the kids read at school. If you seriously think a properly educated kid will believe what the game say then I highly doubt your education level.
And this forum was not made to discuss how bad one country was and how bad you hate USSR or Nazis. This forum was made to discuss the game.

Education program is different in Russia and Ukraine.
if you are Russian and you don't complain - it is your choice. I don't know is it right, but for some reason you judge me.
This game is subjective point of view, which has no documentary approval.
Kids believe much more then you think, I'm afraid.
This forum was made for discussing the game, and the campaign and our feelings about it - are all connected. Thank you.
24 Jul 2013, 13:53 PM
Patrion 26

Education program is different in Russia and Ukraine.
if you are Russian and you don't complain - it is your choice. I don't know is it right, but for some reason you judge me.
This game is subjective point of view, which has no documentary approval.
Kids believe much more then you think, I'm afraid.
This forum was made for discussing the game, and the campaign and our feelings about it - are all connected. Thank you.

Please tell me how the education of Ukraine is different from Russia?
24 Jul 2013, 13:56 PM

He actually has an interesting discussion point that IS about the game so....be more intelligent, thx.

Morgengrad,

As a scholar of History and American Studies myself, I think this is fascinating, and I understand your gripe. Cultural products (movies, music, and even historical video games) are increasing becoming didactic. Perhaps this is unintentional, perhaps not.

In the US for instance, and I'm not sure this is a good comparison, African Americans can (and currently are) having the same questions about the legitimacy of their own history. I used to be a high school and middle school teacher before I got involved in University Education but, to me, it is really appalling the disservice that is done in removing bits and pieces of the horrors of slavery (rape, murder at will, etc) from texts. Historians still debate the more sexual nature of slavery this day. Another example which I personally researched were the way Vietnam War veterans were portrayed in movies (broken, psychotic, killers, physically or mentally fractured) and what those films teach Americans who never experienced it for themselves. Not everyone from Vietnam was a "babykiller", Rambo, or Lt. Dan, or on drugs. There was no evidence of anyone ever being spit on when they returned home. You wouldn't know that from some of the more popular movies about Vietnam.

I haven't played the campaign, and I doubt I will. Maybe I should so I can add my opinion. I can say that many critics have mentioned what you are saying. I do know from just a historical standpoint, there aren't many games featuring the Eastern Front probably for the reasons you mentioned above. If we're honest, the story should be told as one of equal parts murder and atrocity as you state. Perhaps a narrative that focuses on the individual soldiers who are commanded/witness these atrocities for themselves. Perhaps the boundaries of this rich complex history are too difficult to mold into a singular text like a video game. Perhaps Canadian video game companies (all video game companies) should be more careful about crafting the stories they tell as they will influence the perception of historical fact.
24 Jul 2013, 14:04 PM

Did you play through the campaign at all?

24 Jul 2013, 15:30 PM

I understand your argument, but I think there was just very little attention paid to the German perspective in the campaign rather than any attempt to make the Germans look neutral or good. There was no discussion of civilian-related atrocities on either side, and I don't think that sort of thing needs to be included in an action-oriented video game.

The only real difference between the depictions of the Soviets and Germans in game is in how the officers of each faction treat their men. And it seems quite historically accurate that the Soviets were far worse in this respect. I didn't get the sense that the Soviet soldiers themselves were bad, if anything they were quite heroic. The officers and leaders are the ones you come to dislike.
24 Jul 2013, 15:49 PM

In soviet russia, post close you
24 Jul 2013, 15:55 PM

the theme of the game is not portraying accurate history. its more about combat and soldiers. the game is called "Company of heroes". not "evil armies". the game could even be set in the future. and i bet relic could write aliens as heroics.

the game could be modern warfare terrorist vs american. and i bet relic could write a good reason to portray some Islamist kamikaze as heroic.(please don't reply to this)

the game could be about japs vs allies and they could portrait japs and allies as heroes.(same here)

the game could be about Vietnam and they could portray the soldiers as heroes.(same here)

company of heroes.

let me repeat-it for you.

company of heroes.

company of heroes.

company.

of.

heroes.

you want heroes doing bad stuff play deadpool.
24 Jul 2013, 16:02 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jul 2013, 13:49 PMVRL

This game is rated as an 18. It should not be played by children, and if parents wish to choose to allow their children to play it. Then it is not Relics problem

This should be the end of the discussion.

If you want to discuss about if the game is historically correct, then open a new thread with a different title but this thread should be closed or renamed.
24 Jul 2013, 16:06 PM

I can't believe people actually think this it was an inaccurate representation of the Communists during the war.

Nobody ever hear of the Red Terror? The Purges? The Show-Trials? One would think Order 227 would be enough proof. The formation of Penal Battalions(Which were half a million people themselves), and firing squad detachments at the back of Soviet lines were real things.

And even with all that, I'm not convinced you played the Campaign. You realize that the story is being told from the perspective of a Soviet Officer who was horrified at what was going on?

Or that -SPOILER- at the end the Commissar busted him out of prison and then killed himself he was so ashamed at what he had done?

Believe it or not, the campaign is accurate. You're seeing the story from a single perspective so obviously you're going to feel it's stacked in favor of one side or the other.
PAGES (16)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS