Login

russian armor

Commando Glider Changes

21 Jan 2016, 21:15 PM

For some odd reason the Commando Glider Insertion from the Commando Regiment costs 500 MP (not the issue) but doesn't allow you to build any more Commandos from it, can't retreat to, and only reinforces. Compared to the 540 MP Forward Logistics Glider which not only gives you a Airland Officer but lets you build Commandos and medics. Not to mention a free FRP added on. Apparently all justified for being 40MP more.

Suggestion: Buildable Commandos, medics (optional), and set up a FRP.

Right now its complete shite to the Logistics Glider (must be the Officer aboard with the tea)This would greatly benefit the glider as now instead of being a immobile unrepairable half track, you can set up a retreat point behind your lines or to reinforce a area. Losing a commando squad and having to pay 500MP to get another is absurd. 350MP to buy another is more reasonable.
(Or the Forward Logistic Glider is OP but at least make the Commando Glider in the goddarn COMMANDO regiment better instead of a one way overpriced insertion for Commandos)
21 Jan 2016, 21:18 PM

They should just make the Commandos paradrop in like Airborne do. The Glider only limits Commandos, and British Commandos didn't even use Gliders anyway.
21 Jan 2016, 21:23 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

The thing should be repairable, at least. Gives you a reason to make the thing persist, but that's pretty much impossible since it can't be repaired.
22 Jan 2016, 01:53 AM

I don't understand the logic by making it irreparable.
22 Jan 2016, 02:54 AM

It should function as a commando factory.
22 Jan 2016, 20:51 PM

Heck making Commandos appear from buildings would make more sense considering their suppose to be behind the lines not OI COMIN FER YER ARSE JARRY (GOD SAVE THE QUEEN FULL BLAST PLAYING FROM THE GLIDER)
22 Jan 2016, 20:53 PM

Permanently Banned
Just drop cost to 450. Glider repairable to half health. They are fine.
22 Jan 2016, 21:08 PM

I *think* the logic is that the Commando Doctrine allows you to drop the Glider in enemy controlled territory whereas the Vangaurd one has to be in friendly - the extra utility accounts for some of the cost.

Even then I think they could do with a slight decrease to 450~ or so and be made to be repairable - they are pretty much useless as reenforcement posts because of how easy they are to destroy AND the fact that on some maps its almost impossible to land them anywhere without taking heavy damage.
22 Jan 2016, 21:26 PM
Donator 22

They should just make the Commandos paradrop in like Airborne do. The Glider only limits Commandos, and British Commandos didn't even use Gliders anyway.

They did on D-Day. They used gliders to secure a number of bridges and other targets.
22 Jan 2016, 21:49 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

They did on D-Day. They used gliders to secure a number of bridges and other targets.

I'm pretty sure official WW2 British Army commando units didn't use gliders. It was glider infantry used them (separate from the better-trained paratroopers). British commando or paratrooper units frequently worked with and linked up with glider infantry units, but I'm pretty sure the former were spared using the gliders themselves (pretty much everyone thought the things were gliding coffins).
22 Jan 2016, 21:58 PM
Donator 11

They should just be cheaper. 400 MP
22 Jan 2016, 22:31 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

They need to rework all the Brit commanders. It's ridiculous that all the commanders locked behind a paywall are straight upgrades to the base commanders.
22 Jan 2016, 23:08 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jan 2016, 22:31 PMTobis
They need to rework all the Brit commanders. It's ridiculous that all the commanders locked behind a paywall are straight upgrades to the base commanders.

I think its absolutely hilarious how relics commander bundles aren't even at a discount. 3 commander bundle is still $12. Fail marketing.
23 Jan 2016, 09:32 AM
Donator 22

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jan 2016, 21:49 PMVuther

I'm pretty sure official WW2 British Army commando units didn't use gliders. It was glider infantry used them (separate from the better-trained paratroopers). British commando or paratrooper units frequently worked with and linked up with glider infantry units, but I'm pretty sure the former were spared using the gliders themselves (pretty much everyone thought the things were gliding coffins).

I have read about and also seen a documentary about the commandos' using gliders on D-Day. Not the most common form of transport but it did happen. They used gliders on D-Day the same as the US airborne.

They were tasked with taking key objectives, one story in particular which I remember was taking bridges, this particular unit was lucky as they landed with 100 yards of the objective. Lucky to say the least but they took control of the bridge within 10 mins catching the Germans completely by surprise during the night.
23 Jan 2016, 10:30 AM

You're thinking of Operation Deadstick to capture the bridges over the River Orne and Caen canal. It was done by the 6th Airborne division rather than the commandos. In fact, they were later relieved by a commando division arriving from the beach. Their arrival was signaled by playing bagpipes as they marched up the road!

Gliders were used for stealth though - something that the CoH2 glider is comically bad at. I mean is there any reason to have it make a loud swooshing sound as it circles the battlefield? Is it in case the enemy misses the smoke and the big glider circling about? I'd much rather it came in on a direct path to its LZ. If they want to delay the call in, just add a delay before the glider turns up.

The glider also can't re-enforce if it isn't in friendly connected territory - despite the fact that it will be dropped behind the lines most of the time.
23 Jan 2016, 11:15 AM

Apparently all justified for being 40MP more.

The commando glider can be landed behind enemy lines. Logistics glider can't.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 48
Sweden 26
Poland 8
United States 15
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L