Login

russian armor

5 men commando squad

8 Oct 2015, 01:50 AM

They cost less than Obersoldaten or Shock Troops, they're not expensive. They're extremely efficient for what they do. I agree with OP's assessment, it's similar to the suggestions laid out by Cruzz, and he generally has a good idea of what's going on in the game's files.

They cost 500 Manpower to call on. What in the name of Jesus on roller skates are you talking about man.
Wait just realised about Vanguard. Where they cost a whopping 540 then 360 to call on. I could see a slight buff to their cost maybe to 400 but people asking them to be 450 are clearly overzealous.

1) On the comparison with Shocktroops. They need a cloak to get close top enemy units. Unlike shocktroops their armour is terrible and they drop like flies to Obersoldaten which will usually be on the field by the time you start chugging them out.

2) Their 1 second grenade fuze I feel supports what this unit should be - A high "Alpha strike" unit designed to ambush and potentially wipe units before you react, but only if they are microed effectively. Alternately buff them to an actual gammon bomb. I'd love my commandos to have a 3 second "nuke engines" grenade.

3) Their DPS overall should be toned down and instead they should have an ambush bonus of accuracy. This would mean they have to be used as well... commandos and not as frontline infantry. With the changes to their DPS them camouflaging would not be such an issue. Infact it would mean this units entire point is to be camouflaged. To be honest this unit should be focused more on ambushes and raiding.

3a) An alternate suggestion to their increased accuracy instead of high DPS would be to make them decap points faster than normal infantry effectively making them "raiders".
8 Oct 2015, 02:28 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Oct 2015, 01:42 AMVuther

Elite ones have largely been totally fine, Shock Troops have been the best the Soviets have to offer for a long time (aided by much of what else that they have on foot totally sucking for a long time as well, but still...) & Thompson Paras have been great since they got 4 Thompsons off the upgrade.

shocktroops, para, and commando are basically different way to handle the smg.

the shocktroops have smoke grenade by default and they are the most durable squad in the game by far.

the paratrooper (should) have the best dps.

commandos have stealth.

first, nerf the commandos grenade damage and dps. The commandos should have the lowest dps out of the three elite smg in exchange for stealth.
8 Oct 2015, 02:46 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

shocktroops, para, and commando are basically different way to handle the smg.

the shocktroops have smoke grenade by default and they are the most durable squad in the game by far.

the paratrooper (should) have the best dps.

commandos have stealth.

first, nerf the commandos grenade damage and dps. The commandos should have the lowest dps out of the three elite smg in exchange for stealth.

Paras are also more resilient to model losses since the first two deaths will just take out 20% of the max close-range DPS compared to, say, Shocks losing 33% DPS.

And yeah, I'd definitely agree Mandos need a pretty distinct DPS reduction with their current stealth frankly providing them survivability potentially even better than that of Shocks. (Turn on hold fire, walk on area around VP that got hit with AoE a lot during a fight, all chat I'M SNEAKY!, then probably score a squad wipe)...but I'm particularly in favour of making said stealth less silly to make said DPS reduction require being less severe. But of course, their current DPS is still quite overdone with the rest of their complete package.
8 Oct 2015, 04:19 AM

Vet 3 Paras using Tactical Assault do more DPS than vet 3 commandos, amirite?
8 Oct 2015, 04:59 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Vet 3 Paras using Tactical Assault do more DPS than vet 3 commandos, amirite?

What's focus fire. They die like flies when using tactical assault.
8 Oct 2015, 05:07 AM

What's focus fire. They die like flies when using tactical assault.

Support weapons and retreating squads
8 Oct 2015, 05:09 AM

If only there were units that detected cloaked infantry that you could build when you see the glider coming in...

8 Oct 2015, 05:46 AM

The comparisons to other factions and units do not make sense in that context. For instance, shocks, they'll be called in to bolster an already meaty, competent core army. Right now, and with the "expensive shock unit dynamic" of the UKF, the role of a commando squad is to turn the tide of a battle that is already being lost. If you nerf them, make the rest of the early game more survivable.

Also, nerfs are not the same thing as removing gimmicks, ie, warp cloak, I think we can all agree that is a bit :loco:
nee
8 Oct 2015, 06:24 AM

I like commandos except their insane DPS, at best they should be a bit better than Shock Troops, but as-is, they are better than even a veteran Flaktrack.
At the least, their Stens should be devastating only when they are point blank range.

Reminds me of Assault Grenadiers pre-several-nerfs ago.
8 Oct 2015, 06:29 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Oct 2015, 00:50 AMatouba
Just simply compare this unit with shocktroops,it's fucking too effective like many other brits units and abilities.

+1
8 Oct 2015, 06:38 AM

Don't forget give them survivebility vet after nerfing them, they are the only infantry squad without a survivalbility vet.

The light gamma bomb also needs a longer fuse, DPS should be lower, then it's good.
8 Oct 2015, 07:21 AM

Permanently Banned
It sounds to me like you were trying to spot a cloaked unit with vehicles. That's a bad idea Angrykitten, unless it's a dedicated spotter, like the Kubel or 222.

Use infantry to decloak them. They can only disappear if they have not been combat active for a time.

Lol they can disappear in combat right in front of your units. Once vetted, they seem to cloak way to easy and can run around cloaked right up to your units.

It makes no sense to build a kubel at the time they arrive, the thing will die within a matter of a minute with everything that is on the field at that point.

Lol I can't believe people actually defend this grossly overperforming unit.
8 Oct 2015, 07:29 AM

Lol I can't believe people actually defend this grossly overperforming unit.

And what did you expect? Brits came with the biggest cheese ever, give you nice wins against stronger opponents while laughing at their efforts.
8 Oct 2015, 07:42 AM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post8 Oct 2015, 06:38 AMUGBEAR
Don't forget give them survivebility vet after nerfing them, they are the only infantry squad without a survivalbility vet.

The light gamma bomb also needs a longer fuse, DPS should be lower, then it's good.

Could you please elaborate on the ' survivability' part? And what do you mean with they are the only squad without a survivability vet? They get smoke on retreat at vet 3, they are extremely hard to spot at vet 3 since they can run around the map invisible and can become invisible just in front of your units even in when in combat. Removing the cloak whilst moving won't hamper them that much, but it will give players a better change vs the 1 second satchall charge grenade they have and their insane dps that in combination with the cloak can give them inane opportunities at squad wipes.

As I said in my OP, I don't want to overnerf them, but there are surely things that need to be looked at, no matter what other fanoboys (not you!!) might say.

Cheers :)
8 Oct 2015, 07:48 AM

Permanently Banned
If only there were units that detected cloaked infantry that you could build when you see the glider coming in...

As OKW that is kubel my dear, which you certainly won't build to detect commandos since quite frankly they themselves hardcounter the thing and it will surely die to anything that is on the field at that moment.

Permanently Banned
The comparisons to other factions and units do not make sense in that context. For instance, shocks, they'll be called in to bolster an already meaty, competent core army. Right now, and with the "expensive shock unit dynamic" of the UKF, the role of a commando squad is to turn the tide of a battle that is already being lost. If you nerf them, make the rest of the early game more survivable.

Also, nerfs are not the same thing as removing gimmicks, ie, warp cloak, I think we can all agree that is a bit :loco:

Could you please elaborate on the ' survivability' part? And what do you mean with they are the only squad without a survivability vet? They get smoke on retreat at vet 3, they are extremely hard to spot at vet 3 since they can run around the map invisible and can become invisible just in front of your units even in when in combat. Removing the cloak whilst moving won't hamper them that much, but it will give players a better change vs the 1 second satchall charge grenade they have and their insane dps that in combination with the cloak can give them inane opportunities at squad wipes.

As I said in my OP, I don't want to overnerf them, but there are surely things that need to be looked at, no matter what other fanoboys (not you!!) might say.

Cheers :)

recived accuracy -20% something like most infantry squad do, and no you want to overnerf them
8 Oct 2015, 07:50 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Oct 2015, 07:48 AMUGBEAR

recived accuracy -20% something like most infantry squad do, and no you want to overnerf them

No nerf for bitish commandos please. Oh, and bring Obersoldaten to their initial status, too. Deal? :D
8 Oct 2015, 07:53 AM

If only Commando's miniguns didn't literally melt the 222...

They need their rate of fire reduced and burst increased, it'll have the same effect except they won't melt scout cars faster than Shock Troops.
8 Oct 2015, 07:56 AM

Permanently Banned

They cost 500 Manpower to call on. What in the name of Jesus on roller skates are you talking about man.
Wait just realised about Vanguard. Where they cost a whopping 540 then 360 to call on. I could see a slight buff to their cost maybe to 400 but people asking them to be 450 are clearly overzealous.

Fair point good sir :)

1) On the comparison with Shocktroops. They need a cloak to get close top enemy units. Unlike shocktroops their armour is terrible and they drop like flies to Obersoldaten which will usually be on the field by the time you start chugging them out.

This makes no sense, to give them cloak just for the sake of one unit that might be on the field. The cloak in cover is not the problem, the cloak on open ground in the middle of fights or just simply running around the field cloaked is just pure bullshit. It makes them overpowered and you know it.

2) Their 1 second grenade fuze I feel supports what this unit should be - A high "Alpha strike" unit designed to ambush and potentially wipe units before you react, but only if they are microed effectively. Alternately buff them to an actual gammon bomb. I'd love my commandos to have a 3 second "nuke engines" grenade.

Ah yes the unfair 1 second grenade is totally justified by claiming the commandos are a "high alpha strike unit". What was I thinking? I totally agree, your commandos should also have at capabilities right of the bat, sounds great. I think I will incorporate this in my OP.

3) Their DPS overall should be toned down and instead they should have an ambush bonus of accuracy. This would mean they have to be used as well... commandos and not as frontline infantry. With the changes to their DPS them camouflaging would not be such an issue. Infact it would mean this units entire point is to be camouflaged. To be honest this unit should be focused more on ambushes and raiding.

You do realize that this suggestion might actually make things worse? Their ambush bonus applies when they are cloaked, but you seem to forget that they are cloaked 80% of the time. They run around cloaked and can become cloaked just in front of units. This would mean that they constantly deliver an ambush bonus, which would't make a very different situation from the one we have right now. They would still rape units like there is no tomorrow.

3a) An alternate suggestion to their increased accuracy instead of high DPS would be to make them decap points faster than normal infantry effectively making them "raiders".

Finally a good point.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS