Login

russian armor

Faction comparison by Relic

PAGES (9)down
17 Aug 2015, 23:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Aug 2015, 23:06 PMQbix

Yes they should. It's what Relic refers to as asymmetric balance. It's what already set vCoH apart from World in Conflict.

That's one possible way to achieve asymmetric balance, the worst one arguably. Germans having fewer men that kill faster vs soviets who have more men but kill slower is another way. Soviets having superior TD but Germans having superior tanks is another. All asymmetric balance means is that the two factions are different and don't necessarily have 1:1 equivalency on everything. Starcraft has it too between its factions.

Making factions stronger at different phases of the game means automatic balance scaling issues. It guarantees that whomever has the best "late game" faction is more and more powerful in larger game modes where the probability of the match reaching late game approaches 100%. Thus, you can never have a game where the 1v1 and 4v4 are both balanced. To a smaller extent even 2v2s become skewed by this effect, a mode which is still highly competitive. If you balance for 1v1, then 3v3 and 4v4 become the late game faction's bitch. If you balance for larger games, then the early game factions will be OP in 1v1s. Balancing around resource shortages for OKW also has the same problem when combined with OH teammates and cache resource sharing.
17 Aug 2015, 23:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Aug 2015, 23:06 PMQbix

Yes they should. It's what Relic refers to as asymmetric balance. It's what already set vCoH apart from World in Conflict. The only way to achieve perfect balance would be to give every faction the exact same units with a different paint job. Well, then the maps would be more in everyone's focus, prolly.

What you are stating is basically against everything CoH always was and always should be. Maybe this is the wrong multiplayer game for you.

relic's way of asymmetric balance in CoH2 seems way off maybe they should change it to rock, paper, scissors balance the way World in Conflict does it; all units do the same amount of damage, have the same amount of health but some units are better than others against certain enemies. that sort of thing
17 Aug 2015, 23:14 PM

Ohhh god this is golden

USF variety :snfCHVGame:

OKW aggresive

Lelic i want some too
17 Aug 2015, 23:14 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Patrion 15

if you are an alpha tester of the brits than you prolly saw them in action and they are GOOD. then there's the USF their emblem looks cool but most of their units are complete shit save for a few. looks aren't always everything

Haha im just talking about the looks of the shields man, not the armies themselves.
I dont hang my opinion of the factions on the emblems, but as a designer i do have an opinion about the emblems.
17 Aug 2015, 23:17 PM

Haha im just talking about the looks of the shields man, not the armies themselves.
I dont hang my opinion of the factions on the emblems, but as a designer i do have an opinion about the emblems.

whatever works for you thats fine by me
17 Aug 2015, 23:19 PM

USF is the most aggressive if anything, and OKW having the best early game is a poor joke.
17 Aug 2015, 23:19 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Patrion 15

@ Big Red 1 , well.. ok
17 Aug 2015, 23:20 PM

I like how many people are complaining about the 1 thing they got right which is OKW being an aggressive faction lol
18 Aug 2015, 03:03 AM

Surprised me to see that OKW is supposed to be the most aggressive faction. I see OKW as turtle into unstoppable late-game.

That's probably because those who wrote that haven't played OKW in real automatch at competitive level for a while. "Aggressive", the way they used, just sounds trolling to me.
18 Aug 2015, 03:05 AM

This Kyle knows his stuff. OKW with an early game advantage and the same size as Ostheer?! ooh, and btw, let me fix that versatility for you: usf/okw -> soviets -> ostheer. This comparison looks fancy but is wrong...

true
18 Aug 2015, 03:07 AM

I have a feeling that some poor Artist at Relic didnt consult anyone who knows how to play this game when he made this.

OKW early game faction? The fuck?

+1
18 Aug 2015, 03:17 AM

Honestly, if that's how the game developers actually desired the factions to be!!! and we all know that's a totally wrong with what the game is!!! the developers don't even know such basics of their own game!! that's indeed very fascinating. Should I really keep devoting so much of my (precious) time playing this game then?!!!

this actually made me thinking, good job Relic!
18 Aug 2015, 03:17 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

]Making factions stronger at different phases of the game means automatic balance scaling issues. It guarantees that whomever has the best "late game" faction is more and more powerful in larger game modes where the probability of the match reaching late game approaches 100%. Thus, you can never have a game where the 1v1 and 4v4 are both balanced. To a smaller extent even 2v2s become skewed by this effect, a mode which is still highly competitive. If you balance for 1v1, then 3v3 and 4v4 become the late game faction's bitch. If you balance for larger games, then the early game factions will be OP in 1v1s. Balancing around resource shortages for OKW also has the same problem when combined with OH teammates and cache resource sharing.

Well, it's arguably not an balance issue if nigh-perfect players regard the timing distinctions as fine and workable on all sides.

This doesn't mean literally everyone else will find it fun, though. Which is probably a thing that's a lot more important to most players.
18 Aug 2015, 03:35 AM

I only see OKW being good early if Kubel loses suppression but can cap territory. Then you could really harass the enemy.
18 Aug 2015, 03:41 AM

okw-devastating armor by late game i think this is the best joke right now.....??? what they mean overprieced jadg and kt...which get buttraped by cheap tds,arty,and medium armor and get constantly dazed....i m seriously angry right now i wanted okw to have the best late game but the situatuion is quite opposite.
18 Aug 2015, 03:50 AM

okw-devastating armor by late game i think this is the best joke right now.....??? what they mean overprieced jadg and kt...which get buttraped by cheap tds,arty,and medium armor and get constantly dazed....i m seriously angry right now i wanted okw to have the best late game but the situatuion is quite opposite.

you do know that a jagdtiger can outrange an M36 Jackson?
18 Aug 2015, 03:52 AM

I only see OKW being good early if Kubel loses suppression but can cap territory. Then you could really harass the enemy.

Ha. Haha. You're really insightful.

I was so mesmerized by the information for this infographic that I made a thread in the official forums asking Relic to explain themselves:

http://community.companyofheroes.com/forum/company-of-heroes-2/company-of-heroes-2-general-discussion/199491-request-developer-response-re-faction-infographic

I hope it doesn't get closed by a moderator or something dumb like that.
18 Aug 2015, 03:57 AM

Haha these descriptions and comparisons. Relic pls...
18 Aug 2015, 04:10 AM

Relic should read the Steam reviews for COH2. I think that'd be hysterical.
18 Aug 2015, 05:32 AM

Relic lost me at at the fact that they think ProKW has an early game advantage. I play a lot of OKW and I can safely say that early game is their achilles heel and that they're strongest in the late game when you have vet on all of your units, and have a good Army composition.

PAGES (9)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 782

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment