Login

russian armor

The capping system of CoH2 is extremely gay?

10 Jun 2013, 20:10 PM

The OP's done a bit of glue sniffing on this one methinks..

The new capping system is one of the three things and best things in my opinion they got right. (along with the new viability of Infantry AT - the soviet AT nades being the exception that proves the rule - and the ability to flank over fences)
This system means it's much harder to defend and basically on it's own destroys the incentive to camp while at the same time making the opportunity cost of not always trying to attack extremely high, these two factors thus lead to more fluid, intelligent game where maneuver and decision making are king rather than whose has the most MG bunkers.
10 Jun 2013, 21:02 PM

Due to the fact that I haven't gotten to play much, I'm not going to comment much on whether or not it's better for gameplay or not. It does, however, make capping feel far more fluid than it did in CoH1, from my experience, which definitely is a point in favor of the new system.

I'll try to get some more games in when my exams are done so that I can legitimately comment on the issue.
10 Jun 2013, 22:14 PM

Capping system right now is okay, but the only gay thing is that paks and units in HT can cap
11 Jun 2013, 00:03 AM

Capping system right now is okay, but the only gay thing is that paks and units in HT can cap

agree with this\
11 Jun 2013, 00:29 AM

Also, capping is a lot more straightforward. Haven't dug around much, but I think most units cap at the same rate, except for Ostruppen (according to coh-stats, but its otudated anyway).

I don't think capping inside a HT should be restricted. I think it promotes smart play and combined arms. They need to fix the clown car (as in, not make it spammable), but other than that I think promoting unit mixes is good.

11 Jun 2013, 02:21 AM

Yeah, c'mon, vehicle pushing and cap-walking are the cheesiest, most worthless tactics ever, and the only reason no one complains about it is because it became part of the competitive game, and was a way good players could show their skill over mediocre players.

Otherwise all it does is speed up the capping, putting the focus back on the main fight. But it is a way the game got simplified a bit. The one subtle thing I miss from COH is that you could popcap your opponent, so it might be a strategic choice to cap the cut-off point on Ango while under fire. But in this game popcap is not linked to territory possession. I wish it was. Uber-tanks would stop rolling out when the game was already lost if territory was connected to popcap.

The new capping system is dumbed down actually, it makes good sense, but let's face it, it's removing a level of micro (fighting then capping) and noobs will never have to learn to NOT cap under fire now..so it's just another way they've made it more casual-player friendly.
11 Jun 2013, 07:37 AM

Since you must micro units anyways.... it takes away a tiny bit of stress that was in COH1 that wasn't necessary. If you cap...you die? Look at it this way...realistically, you have more than 1 soldier who is raising the cap...why can't the rest fight? Oh right....they can... COH1 wasn't better in that area, just different. In the intro, you still prolly cap quickly hitting shift point to point....in order to use shift and micro fast, you cannot put them just "around" the circle or they won't cap...they will just go pt to pt without doing anything, so essentially it's still necessary to hit that actual capping point itself in the minimap or map.
11 Jun 2013, 07:56 AM

Permanently Banned
T34s capping vet ability is stupid.

Requires disproportionate allocation of forces from Ostheer to respond to its mobility, AP, reasonable AT (and Ram, to disable any responding armor).

M3 or M5 with infantry is adequate for mobilised capping.
11 Jun 2013, 11:45 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

T-34 capping w vet is indeed damn strong. Maybe make it a doctrinal ability, as RAID was in vCOH?
11 Jun 2013, 11:52 AM

Yeah either make it doctrinal or really increase the amount of time of takes to re-engage the weapon. To be honest though I think ram ability is enough for the T34.

Leave the vet cap ability for the t70. At the moment I almost always go for a t34 over a t70 unless I need a vehicle out asap and can't wait for the fuel I need for a t34. At least this will give the t70 a more defined role of being like that defenisve m8 in CoH1.
11 Jun 2013, 11:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jun 2013, 07:56 AMNullist
T34s capping vet ability is stupid.

Requires disproportionate allocation of forces from Ostheer to respond to its mobility, AP, reasonable AT (and Ram, to disable any responding armor).

M3 or M5 with infantry is adequate for mobilised capping.

Yeah, the T34 capping really is a thing that should go either doctrinal or removed, especially since the vet 1 is kinda easy achieved because it comes quite early on the field, before germans can really stop it from killing Infantry effectively.
11 Jun 2013, 11:59 AM

Even if i disagree with the first post, there is something wrong with the capping system : as you can cap without clicking DIRECTLY on the flag of the point ingame (just by clicking in the circle) the game should understand that as a capping action, not idle : if you shift other actions they'll stop capping the point cause they move as soon as you click your other shifted orders

And yeah, T34 capping ability should be something you choose that prevent you from other doctrinal abilities, too much opness here
11 Jun 2013, 12:00 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Nice ideas Stephenn. T-34 ram being the vet ability is brilliant! Dunno if that's what you meant but I love that idea.
11 Jun 2013, 12:02 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Even if i disagree with the first post, there is something wrong with the capping system : as you can cap without clicking DIRECTLY on the flag of the point ingame (just by clicking in the circle) the game should understand that as a capping action, not idle : if you shift other actions they'll stop capping the point cause they move as soon as you click your other shifted orders

This obviously has to be this way. If you want to shift-que, then shift-click the points themselves, not just some spot in the capping area.

I love the fact that there's a lazy way and a micro-intensive way that is more precise and more optimized. I've noticed that sometimes you can get the absolute best capping position (1 guy in the circle and the other members of the squad on their way to their next cap objective) only by using the halt command.
11 Jun 2013, 12:15 PM

Nice ideas Stephenn. T-34 ram being the vet ability is brilliant! Dunno if that's what you meant but I love that idea.

Hahaha I didn't mean that but I guess that could maybe work.

Only thing is it would feel very wierd if you have 2 t34's and you have to sacrifice the veteran t34 in a ram whilst the unvetted t34 lives on. I guess it adds more risk factor to engagements (something I think CoH2 actually lacks due to no mine usage) but it does feel like throwing vet away. The majoirty of t34 disabled by ram in my experience generally end up getting destroyed unless they are very close to the Soviet players base.

11 Jun 2013, 12:52 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

That's exactly why I like the idea.
11 Jun 2013, 13:07 PM

Fair enough I do aswell in that regard. I am always for contributing risk factors into games, provided they are still calculated risk.

I think thats part of the reason I like TrueSight so much. Had a funny encounter with that last night actually and its a great addition to CoH! :D
13 Jun 2013, 23:16 PM

Its basically what I proposed in the T-34 thread. Remove the vet capping for T-34, give the Ram as a vet ability.

The problem with that suggestion is still the fact that it is very hard to keep a T-34 alive long enough for panthers and other heavy armor to arrive, so maybe a slight increase in armor is needed.
14 Jun 2013, 00:24 AM

i dont think vetted ram is a goods thing, you will be forced to ram your vetted tank which will then probably die.

I much prefer T34's getting a speed boost vet ability like the m3
14 Jun 2013, 00:31 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jun 2013, 00:24 AMCrells
i dont think vetted ram is a goods thing, you will be forced to ram your vetted tank which will then probably die.

I much prefer T34's getting a speed boost vet ability like the m3

That's the whole point: Ram becomes what it should be, a gamble. You won't use Ram against an Ostwind or a Stug. You'll use it against that Tiger or Panther, so that, even if you lose that vet tank, its sacrifice will allow you to still gain the advantage.

Think of it like Chess: You are sacrifing a Knight for a Queen.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★