Login

russian armor

(2-4) Belmont (WIP)

27 Jan 2015, 23:13 PM

Hello everyone!

I'm playing COH2 since Beta and now after very long time of thinking, I decided to make my own mp map. This is my first project, so any feedback will be very appreciated. The map is based on real location (Saint-Privat-du-Dragon from France). It is on early stage so I got overall plan of placing territories, all roads and one key location. I decided to make every location step by step.

This map will have a little irregular shape, 3 VP points, 2 fuel points and 2 ammo points. The periphery of the maps will be friendly to armored units (more open areas). The center of the map where will be urban on the little hill and concentrated on infantry fight (one vp point will be almost surrounded by buildings with tight path to it).

So, here is the overall plan of my map (The north-east border will be straight like the one on the north-west side):

And here is first VP point (it's still need a little work on textures and splats):

I also got 2 questions about editor, so please check this thread:
Code
http://www.coh2.org/topic/30166/splat-tool-blending-and-burner

28 Jan 2015, 15:24 PM
Patrion 14

I think it is going to be really interesting.

seems like the map will have open fields and a town part which is always a plus for me.

not sure about two ammo point being together. and 1v1/2v2 hybrid. i just hope it is a big 1v1 map because i dont play 1v1 lol.

i got into map making about half a year ago and it has been fun although i got bored of it for now. when i first started i made a thread to ask questions. i was a complete noob and it looks like you aren't as noobish as i was then and even now... who knows. but ill leave the link in case you might find something useful out of the thread.

subscribing to the thread. keep me updated please.

28 Jan 2015, 16:09 PM

Using real locations is always an interesting idea, however the map seems (too) large judging based on the screenshot.
28 Jan 2015, 20:21 PM

Thanks for feedback. I'm also not so sure about two ammo points together but it is easy to change in future. In case of the map size - it's look big, but I placed some "test" buldings in town and it is good in lenght. Maybe in width the map will be to big, but it is also easy to change because the areas close to bases will be open fields.

Here is a little update:

I first time experimenting with the mud, so I will be more working on this when whole map will be complete.
30 Jan 2015, 16:06 PM

Another update on the map. Yesterday I completed the second VP area and now I'm concentrated on the town.

Is there some trick for connecting buildings or field to fill in with rotation angle number?

Screenshots:

2 Feb 2015, 09:23 AM

Next update: I think the hardest part is ended - buildings in town. Now I will be making farms and foliage area around the town. Afther that will be time to polish everything - add more covers, make more paths and do some changes in the roads.

Screens:
2 Feb 2015, 11:10 AM

Looks very cool man! :)

I really like the way you show us the progress of your work! :thumb:
2 Feb 2015, 13:37 PM

Great progress! You workflow is solid. You started with a territory map, and then opened worldbuilder. I can't express how important that is, in proper COH2 map making. As long as you keep picking away at it, you will have a very solid map in no time.

I'm looking forward to your next update.
2 Feb 2015, 14:46 PM

I appreciate feedback from all of you and I got one questions to some veterans :)

I make a unreachable forest which is a natural "wall" but I do not know how it will affect on performance. There is a 6 (2 types) meshes together - it is ok or I should not doing this in this way?
2 Feb 2015, 15:03 PM

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'affect on performance' but...

In terms of game play, making forest ares like that is perfectly fine. In terms of visual looks it is also perfectly fine to do this. As for how well the map runs, simply checking the impass tool will help you determine any adverse affects on unit pathing.

Putting it simply using different meshes together should not have any 'bad effects' use them how you wish. The way you are doing the forest is perfectly fine.
2 Feb 2015, 15:14 PM

It shouldn't affect performance. I've got some really large maps full of objects, including tons of groves. That is really what the grove is meant for, blocking off area. Where you want to avoid them, is in a passable forest. Using single tree's, brush, and other vegetation, looks far better.

Go ahead and paint impass over the area if you don't want units to travel through, after artillery damage and other things, you may get unexpected results.
3 Feb 2015, 11:04 AM
Patrion 14

Great progress! You workflow is solid. You started with a territory map, and then opened worldbuilder. I can't express how important that is, in proper COH2 map making. As long as you keep picking away at it, you will have a very solid map in no time.

I'm looking forward to your next update.

wait. what is this territory map? is it something you do on photoshop?
3 Feb 2015, 13:04 PM

Yes, that is the first image that I posted here. I drew territory lines on screenshot from Google Maps.

By the way I'm very satisfied from this roads:
3 Feb 2015, 13:23 PM

wait. what is this territory map? is it something you do on photoshop?

In my opinion, the best way to make a map, is start with the territory map. This can be done free hand on paper, on photoshop overlay google map (as done above), or how ever. There is a way to import it into the worldbuilder as a SPLAT, but that takes time, when you could just as easily re-draw it in worldbuilder using high contrasting splines initially to mark the borders, then place the territory objects, then paint the sectors. Doing this first, usually results in a highly balanced map, and decreases production time significantly.

One of the biggest advantages, is to discuss the balance map prior to starting any actual worldbuilder work. Most likely, you will receive strong input regarding issues, and can avoid having to redo entire sectors.

And those roads look very nice. Look forward to seeing them with some splat detail.
3 Feb 2015, 14:05 PM
Patrion 14

In my opinion, the best way to make a map, is start with the territory map. This can be done free hand on paper, on photoshop overlay google map (as done above), or how ever. There is a way to import it into the worldbuilder as a SPLAT, but that takes time, when you could just as easily re-draw it in worldbuilder using high contrasting splines initially to mark the borders, then place the territory objects, then paint the sectors. Doing this first, usually results in a highly balanced map, and decreases production time significantly.

One of the biggest advantages, is to discuss the balance map prior to starting any actual worldbuilder work. Most likely, you will receive strong input regarding issues, and can avoid having to redo entire sectors.

And those roads look very nice. Look forward to seeing them with some splat detail.

ok thanks. i thought it is like a super technical thing. thanks for clearing things up.

8 Feb 2015, 14:27 PM

I have not had much time lately, but I did some progress:
8 Feb 2015, 15:39 PM

VERY NICE! Its coming along well, a good map maker always finds time to do even a little bit when RL calls us away.
9 Feb 2015, 15:02 PM

Very nice!

A tip to increase production speed; In an area not yet detailed, or in the non interactive zone (wont work outside of the "playable area"), go through the object placement tool, and place one of all the detail objects in a tight area, that way you have quick access, and visual representation of anything you might need. Prioritize them based on the theme, so if you are making defensive structures, place all of the sandbags, barbed wire, ammo crates...ect. You can then, simply copy the object needed, instead of sifting through the list of words. Also do this with a few splines as well, for trench's, sandbag walls, fences, walls...ect. Don't forget to select everything and make a stamp, so the next map, all you have to do is place the stamp.

Don't forget to checkout, TheBaconBox.
11 Feb 2015, 14:04 PM

I've got big problem with creating realistic farm fields. It's my second attempt and I just cannot see this:

I know that I should add some track splines and grass, but I don't think it change much. Do you have any tricks/tips for doing this? Maybe it is better to do much smaller fields?
11 Feb 2015, 14:28 PM

Gimme a sec just putting somethings together for you.

Okay so some simple suggestions to give you a few ideas of what I personally would look to do with those areas specifically.

Firstly here, I'd look to add small amounts of yellow cover in the ares marked in white. I'd look to put tracks through in the yellow circle or even a little higher in the picture. I personally would convert the whole area into a harvested field (possibly muddy) and add some haystacks and farm equipment like a tractor for some green cover (not too many items for green cover though). then I'd remover the tip of the field to the bottom of the picture and put a little foliage in there. This is just an example of what I would do to it, you can however feel free to use any or all of what I've mentioned here :D

Here I would run tracks through the middle of the field to break it up into two smaller areas. I would consider converting the top half into a farmhouse area with a house and barn or two smaller houses, add farm equipment a well and some wood stacks then do some kind of hedging around the areas using bushes for yellow cover. Then add some medium sized trees to the yard area. Then I'd break up the lower part of the field with a couple of craters so it's not just a large flat area without detail.

As I say feel free to use any of these ideas as you see fit. I hope I have been of some help to you on this and I look forward to seeing how you break through this. Can't wait to see the next reel of screenshots.

Kind Regards,

Mirage357.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight