Login

russian armor

tying upgrades to veterancy and removing stupid vet bonuses

10 Dec 2014, 13:39 PM

I love CoH, and I especially love The Early/Mid game..

Late game for me just becomes Command & Conquer style game play (A-Move, huge blobbing etc).

I have always wondered in CoH, why they don't tie upgrades to veterancy.. it would give the idea and reason to keeping units alive more important and would increase the awesomeness of getting your units to high levels of veterancy.

At the moment Vet gives units things like received accuracy deductions etc which just turns units into Attack-Move zombies with no care for cover what-so-ever.

This could also work for tanks, for example a T34 when it gets to Vet1 could get RAM, then at Vet2 could get an increased shell-loader mechanism to increase fire-rate, and then at Vet3 could upgrade its gun to 85MM.. infantry would follow the same path.. Grenadiers would get Heal at Vet1, Improved Armour at Vet2 and then MG42 at Vet3... these upgrades would cost munitions of course, but less then it currently costs...

thoughts?
10 Dec 2014, 15:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Dec 2014, 13:39 PMpugzii
I love CoH, and I especially love The Early/Mid game..

Late game for me just becomes Command & Conquer style game play (A-Move, huge blobbing etc).

I have always wondered in CoH, why they don't tie upgrades to veterancy.. it would give the idea and reason to keeping units alive more important and would increase the awesomeness of getting your units to high levels of veterancy.

At the moment Vet gives units things like received accuracy deductions etc which just turns units into Attack-Move zombies with no care for cover what-so-ever.

This could also work for tanks, for example a T34 when it gets to Vet1 could get RAM, then at Vet2 could get an increased shell-loader mechanism to increase fire-rate, and then at Vet3 could upgrade its gun to 85MM.. infantry would follow the same path.. Grenadiers would get Heal at Vet1, Improved Armour at Vet2 and then MG42 at Vet3... these upgrades would cost munitions of course, but less then it currently costs...

thoughts?

Yeah I like this idea, I used to always wait for the veteran bonus to accuracy that you get at vet 2 etc. before upgrading units with weapons. I know this veterancy mechanic has been integral to both Coh1 and 2 as well as DoW2 but sometimes it makes the game feel very unsatisfying especially long range combat. Who cares about cover etc. when you have enough received accuracy bonus that you can dodge small arms fire like Neo from the Matrix? As you said it kind of ruins late game engagements.
10 Dec 2014, 16:24 PM

Yeah I like this idea, I used to always wait for the veteran bonus to accuracy that you get at vet 2 etc. before upgrading units with weapons. I know this veterancy mechanic has been integral to both Coh1 and 2 as well as DoW2 but sometimes it makes the game feel very unsatisfying especially long range combat. Who cares about cover etc. when you have enough received accuracy bonus that you can dodge small arms fire like Neo from the Matrix? As you said it kind of ruins late game engagements.

You mean Vet 5 Volks?

Or vet 5 Obers?

:foreveralone:
10 Dec 2014, 16:37 PM

You mean Vet 5 Volks?

Or vet 5 Obers?

:foreveralone:

Comparing the difference in bonus due to vet is depressing. No matter how long you keep your troops alive they will never get to the same level...
10 Dec 2014, 19:27 PM

that would put too much emphasis on rng wipes
10 Dec 2014, 20:01 PM

Well, the only two units that have really stupid vet bonuses are, as already was mentioned, volks with better durability then shocks and obers, sharing same advantage to even greater extend.

Literally all other infantry is fine, these two units say "fuck you" to cover requirement all the time and simply break late game with their vet(volks) and base stats together with vet(obers).
10 Dec 2014, 20:36 PM
Donator 11

I still don't understand why they decided to change armour into received accurancy on all units but shocks. It rewards blobbing so much. I mean their calculations are true only when the unit is shot by gun with 1 penetration. But if it was armour all HMGs apart from maxim (maxim too but very little) would benefit from their penetration, I mean thar DShK, .50 cal and MG42 are underperforming right now because of that (they have penetration they cannot use against infantry) and that is the true reason why we can see all the blob play from all factions right now.
10 Dec 2014, 21:47 PM

I still don't understand why they decided to change armour into received accurancy on all units but shocks. It rewards blobbing so much. I mean their calculations are true only when the unit is shot by gun with 1 penetration. But if it was armour all HMGs apart from maxim (maxim too but very little) would benefit from their penetration, I mean thar DShK, .50 cal and MG42 are underperforming right now because of that (they have penetration they cannot use against infantry) and that is the true reason why we can see all the blob play from all factions right now.

Machine gun penetration came after infantry armour was removed. On March 25th, Received Accuracy replaced Infantry Armour on all units except Shock Troops (who literally do have armour plates on them, if you look closely). One month later on April 24th, Machine Guns were given higher armour penetration values over regular weapons. MG Penetration never had any effect on Infantry Armour except Shock Troops and for a brief time, Obersoldaten and Jaeger Light Infantry, who still had armour values by mistake.
Vaz
10 Dec 2014, 21:54 PM

Some good ideas here, others are no different from the current system.
10 Dec 2014, 22:04 PM

Machine gun penetration came after infantry armour was removed. On March 25th, Received Accuracy replaced Infantry Armour on all units except Shock Troops (who literally do have armour plates on them, if you look closely). One month later on April 24th, Machine Guns were given higher armour penetration values over regular weapons. MG Penetration never had any effect on Infantry Armour except Shock Troops and for a brief time, Obersoldaten and Jaeger Light Infantry, who still had armour values by mistake.

I have to agree with Ferwiner, as infantry get vet it seems they get less accurate rather than more. I think conscripts get +40% accuracy when vet 3 compared to either -49 incoming accuracy that volks get at vet 5. So vet 3 cons find it harder to hit vet 5 volks than when both are vet 0.
10 Dec 2014, 22:06 PM
Donator 11

I know it, still this is a good idea to buff those underperforming MGs, and also MGs are only the one example, others are tanks, ptrs, 222, basically all weapons with more than 1 penetration value have hard time killing infantry because of that. If it was intended then well, blobs were intended too, if it wasn't thought of maybe it's sth to change.
10 Dec 2014, 22:12 PM

I know it, still this is a good idea to buff those underperforming MGs, and also MGs are only the one example, others are tanks, ptrs, 222, basically all weapons with more than 1 penetration value have hard time killing infantry because of that. If it was intended then well, blobs were intended too, if it wasn't thought of maybe it's sth to change.

Tanks rely on scatter to hit Infantry, not accuracy, the PTRS doesn't hit Infantry except for rare flukes, and the 222 was never affected because Soviets (except shocks and guards) never had armour.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 50
United States 9

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment