Login

russian armor

Idea about guards

16 Oct 2014, 02:31 AM

What if they spawned with no PTRS but with all SVTs. Then, you had to pay for both dp28s and PTRS.

Or even just leave them as mosins, but make the models use SVTs. I just feel that lategame the PTRS is useless and I wish they'd just have another two rifles.

thoughts?
16 Oct 2014, 02:34 AM

Permanently Banned
make penals. problem solved
16 Oct 2014, 02:58 AM

Allow them to upgrade to 6 mosins :snfCHVGame:

16 Oct 2014, 03:04 AM

Yeha PTRS has no use after light vehicles. I actually wish my Guards dropped their PTRS
16 Oct 2014, 03:05 AM

Give Guards ability to holster their PTRS.
16 Oct 2014, 03:11 AM

Interesting, although i don't think it is very realistic. It would be a cool feature though. We could give them additional setup time in exchange for carrying a rife and holstering the PTRS
16 Oct 2014, 03:23 AM

Another alternative would be to cut the number of PTRS rifles the squad gets down to 1 but double the dps on the PTRS. It isn't like blobs of guards would suddenly start countering medium tanks.

Could even give the PTRS a bit more AI capability (particularly vs units in cover) to make up for the fact that shrecks and bazookas probably kill more soldiers than PTRS rifles atm.
16 Oct 2014, 04:08 AM
Patrion 27

I've posted this roughly one billion times but here goes again:

Make Guards an analogue to Panzergrenadiers. Spawn with six Mosin Nagants so each model can actually do damage while moving. Dp-28 upgrade grants them button and PTRS can be buffed and not suck so bad.

This way if you choose a Guard commander and your opponent doesn't make light vehicles they aren't junk and they stop dropping weapons every five seconds.

I also think they should be able to attack ground with the PTRS to break down stone walls and medium cover.
16 Oct 2014, 04:13 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Oct 2014, 03:11 AMNinjaWJ

Interesting, although i don't think it is very realistic. It would be a cool feature though. We could give them additional setup time in exchange for carrying a rife and holstering the PTRS

Sturmpioneers can put away a minesweeper somehow, so strong Soviet backs could probably carry a PTRS while shooting a rifle. AI is as valuable to Guards as to sturmpioneers (while their AT is not valued at all... For obvious reasons).

Perhaps a drawback, but there really is no need.
16 Oct 2014, 05:53 AM

In theory you could add a second 'ghost' weapon to the PTRS that fires a separate invisible rifle bullet that functions similarly to a normal rifle.
16 Oct 2014, 06:00 AM

Sturmpioneers can put away a minesweeper somehow, so strong Soviet backs could probably carry a PTRS while shooting a rifle. AI is as valuable to Guards as to sturmpioneers (while their AT is not valued at all... For obvious reasons).

Perhaps a drawback, but there really is no need.

Well, AI is so important for guards that they have lost their light AT effectiveness from the description in game and current one says they are effective against infantry, so yea, optional PTRS would be awesome.
16 Oct 2014, 06:01 AM

What if they spawned with no PTRS but with all SVTs. Then, you had to pay for both dp28s and PTRS.

Or even just leave them as mosins, but make the models use SVTs. I just feel that lategame the PTRS is useless and I wish they'd just have another two rifles.

thoughts?

I've somewhat found the opposite to be true. Late game, a pair of vetted Guards that still have their guns (and DPs) can take on heavier armor by taking turns buttoning it. And with flanking, the damage after a solid buttoning can be severe.

It's in the early game where I get frustrated. Early Ostwinds, Panzer II's and the like still hit the Guards hard even when buttoned (especially after button got nerfed) and the Guards usually get annihilated. And in early game you may not have enough Guards, veterancy, and munitions to effectively repel such vehicles. It's really rough.
16 Oct 2014, 06:22 AM

Late game, a pair of vetted Guards that still have their guns (and DPs)

Why talk about nonexistent things? :D
16 Oct 2014, 08:23 AM

Why talk about nonexistent things? :D

Good point!

Has anyone had any luck pairing Guards with Penals? Is it effective to button with Guards and hurl a satchel charge at an Ostwind or Panzer II? Obviously armour and an AT gun would be better, but in absence of those things, is this a reliable counter?
16 Oct 2014, 08:35 AM

Just make PTRS effective vs infantry. In theory PTRS is a rifle, just like a mosin, it simply fires a high velocity armor penetrating shell. Just like a 50 cal sniper?
16 Oct 2014, 09:17 AM

They drop to many weapons. All other units in the game drop only the upgradeble weapons. So make the drop only the DPs and not the PTRS rifles.
16 Oct 2014, 09:31 AM

Just make them spawn with only mosins and 2 separate upgrades DP and PTRS and buff PTRS , and this make them better , much better.
16 Oct 2014, 09:50 AM

Good point!

Has anyone had any luck pairing Guards with Penals? Is it effective to button with Guards and hurl a satchel charge at an Ostwind or Panzer II? Obviously armour and an AT gun would be better, but in absence of those things, is this a reliable counter?

No dice I'm afraid.

Button no longer lasts long enough or does enough actual stun to allow for anything to connect. IL2 bombs, satchels (unless thrown pre-emptively... who let you do that?), artillery strikes. All take too long to arrive.

Couple that with the fact that button just took a huge nerf and does not even stop tanks firing any more (asymmetrical balance kappa) it's a waste of time and penals.

Seriously, though, this is the biggest thing that pisses me off about guards. They have to be bought in, suck in general, buy their DP's, and pay for every button. Oh my gawd, button makes German armour ever so slightly vulnerable!? Soviets have an option to make german tanks worry about getting close to infantry, even if it's super easy to cancel by accident and has a finite range and still allows moving and pivoting? NERF NERF NERF NERF AXIS TEARS 2 STRONK

Oh, sorry, what was that? Axis have target weak point? An ability that acts like button in every way, but is better in every single way, and is even scarier to soviet tanks? They're soviet, they're meant to die, asymmetrical balance gotta keep it forever.

What the hell were the balance team smoking? Axis are allowed a button that does the damage of the AT gun firing it (or tiger ace), allows no motion at all compared to button's restricting it, denies the tank firing (now better than button, previously the same), cannot be canceled by issuing further orders (better than button), can't be stopped by killing or retreating the squad (better than button), and can't be stopped by driving out of range (better than button), and can't be stopped with a much cheaper and very common doctrinal ability for smoke launchers that just let the axis player ignore all threats and get a free 20 munition advantage over their opponent every time? And BUTTONING gets nerfed?
16 Oct 2014, 11:02 AM

^^
Amen

Once upon a time I was able to go an infantry only strategy with vetted guards and have a chance of winning. Now it's tanks or you're dead.

The difference between German and Soviet AT capabilities is hilarious.
16 Oct 2014, 11:18 AM
Donator 22

Good idea! :)

No dice I'm afraid.

Button no longer lasts long enough or does enough actual stun to allow for anything to connect. IL2 bombs, satchels (unless thrown pre-emptively... who let you do that?), artillery strikes. All take too long to arrive.

Couple that with the fact that button just took a huge nerf and does not even stop tanks firing any more (asymmetrical balance kappa) it's a waste of time and penals.

Seriously, though, this is the biggest thing that pisses me off about guards. They have to be bought in, suck in general, buy their DP's, and pay for every button. Oh my gawd, button makes German armour ever so slightly vulnerable!? Soviets have an option to make german tanks worry about getting close to infantry, even if it's super easy to cancel by accident and has a finite range and still allows moving and pivoting? NERF NERF NERF NERF AXIS TEARS 2 STRONK

Oh, sorry, what was that? Axis have target weak point? An ability that acts like button in every way, but is better in every single way, and is even scarier to soviet tanks? They're soviet, they're meant to die, asymmetrical balance gotta keep it forever.

What the hell were the balance team smoking? Axis are allowed a button that does the damage of the AT gun firing it (or tiger ace), allows no motion at all compared to button's restricting it, denies the tank firing (now better than button, previously the same), cannot be canceled by issuing further orders (better than button), can't be stopped by killing or retreating the squad (better than button), and can't be stopped by driving out of range (better than button), and can't be stopped with a much cheaper and very common doctrinal ability for smoke launchers that just let the axis player ignore all threats and get a free 20 munition advantage over their opponent every time? And BUTTONING gets nerfed?

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★