Login

russian armor

A question about Guards?

9 Sep 2014, 23:56 PM

Guard Riflemen DP-28 ‘Button’
The intent of these changes is to provide the opposing player an opportunity to react and counter the usage of button. Currently, the ability is very one sided, it provides the Soviet player with a quick and easy to execute vehicle snare without much counterplay in-between. By providing the opposing player with a way to react, the counter-play relative to unit positioning is better defined, thus reducing the receiving player’s frustration when the ability is executed.
Speed reduction from 0.1 to 0.33
Added rotation reduction of 0.33
Acceleration from 0.1 to 0.5
Deceleration from 8 to 2
Main gun set to active
Main gun rate of fire set to fire 1.56x slower

So since I'm out of town right now and cant play this new patch I have to ask those who have actually played "is it even worth it to build Guards Rifles now?"

I ask this because the Guards Rifles are the only infantry the Soviets have that have AT weapons from the start. now it looks like tanks can roll right on top of them and except for being slowed down they aren't hindered much at all. And since it looks like they can still fire while Button'd they can simply kill off the infantry squad.

To be honest I never felt SOviet's were OP but they are my favorite faction so i'm a little biased, but this patch looks like it hit the Soviets with the Nurf stick hardest.

Im betting its going to be 80% Axis vs 20% Allies tonight when i get home.
10 Sep 2014, 00:17 AM

In general, I'd say Soviets are still very strong due to Cons/Maxims/Snipers, and their very powerful late-game call-ins. As far as I can tell, the strongest Soviet strategies from pre-patch haven't really been affected too much.

However, I agree with you that Guards have been hit too hard. I sort of agree with the button nerf since it was very frustrating to play against before and enabled some pretty abusive strategies. However, the double nerf of Button and the DPs damage profile is far too much. Guards were already pretty inconsistent against other infantry (especially given how often they drop their DPs), and this makes them very poor at it indeed. I guess its a case of a Jack of Trades unit being nerfed to the point where it doesn't fulfill any role to a satisfactory degree.

I tentatively predict that the predominant meta for Soviets will be mixed T1/T2 play in the mid game with 4 Cons acting as a core, with Shock Rifle/Motor for Shocks and late-game call-ins.
10 Sep 2014, 03:20 AM

Well they do less damage, they were not doing much before, and their ability sucks a lot for 40 ammo.

They are not like the SU 76, but close.
10 Sep 2014, 06:57 AM

Funny enough, with the Grenadier nerf, Guards almost stand up to them, man-to-man. With LMG's, they might be able to beat them even at longer ranges when they have MG 42's.
10 Sep 2014, 07:32 AM

Funny enough, with the Grenadier nerf, Guards almost stand up to them, man-to-man. With LMG's, they might be able to beat them even at longer ranges when they have MG 42's.

What grenadier nerf? The one where they gave them more survivability in exchange for a roughly equal change in damage?

The gap between guards and grens is actually wider (purely mathematically, I'd expect the matchup is completely unchanged ingame because the difference is so small) at long range in the grens favor than it was last patch, unless you've managed to get rid of the PTRS rifles on your guards before fighting in the engagement.
10 Sep 2014, 07:36 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Sep 2014, 07:32 AMCruzz
What grenadier nerf? The one where they gave them more survivability in exchange for a roughly equal change in damage?

The DPS of their rifles was lowered, LMG's also got a DPS nerf, so overall they're weaker than they were.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS