Login

russian armor

Shocks

• This thread is locked
PAGES (7)down
20 Aug 2014, 09:42 AM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Aug 2014, 22:52 PMAlbus
I'm not a huge fan of the current Shock balance. Smoke grenades don't exactly take an IQ of >160 to use properly: You throw the smoke grenade the maximum distance the Shock can throw it towards the unit you want to flank and then charge up.

Shocks are the only squad in the game left with functioning, non-vet related armor. They're also a 6 man squad with extremely high DPS which makes them incredibly effective. I personally don't mind their DPS but their survivability is a little frustrating, especially paired with their smoke grenade.

For 390 MP and 37(I think) reinforce, they're extremely cost-effective (unless you're retarded and charge them through red cover at multiple squads). If you can get them close, they're insanely punishing and will deplete a full HP squad (or multiple squads) at a drop of a hat. I don't know if I like this cost-effectiveness: Keep in mind, similar squads like Falschirmjaegers and Obersoldaten with the IR upgrade just don't have this effectiveness (These are significantly more expensive squads as well).

I think the main "advantage" of shocks is their survivability. I dunno whether that advantage is a problem though, although it gives Shocktroopers the edge over the Axis factional equivalents of the unit.

1. It does not take IQ of >160 to expect smoke/see it, then to move your units farther away from the smoke.

2. Armor acts almost identically with reduced incoming accuracy modifier which many wher and okw units have except armor is slightly worse.

3. extremely high dps at hugging range. yes it is funny to see your units drop like flies even at hugging range but anything short from that shocks do so little damage.

4. Falls and Obers are not similar squads.

5. They are more survivable then other squads due to the fact that they have to close in to do the damage.
20 Aug 2014, 10:21 AM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post20 Aug 2014, 09:42 AMpigsoup

1. It does not take IQ of >160 to expect smoke/see it, then to move your units farther away from the smoke.

2. Armor acts almost identically with reduced incoming accuracy modifier which many wher and okw units have except armor is slightly worse.

3. extremely high dps at hugging range. yes it is funny to see your units drop like flies even at hugging range but anything short from that shocks do so little damage.

4. Falls and Obers are not similar squads.

5. They are more survivable then other squads due to the fact that they have to close in to do the damage.

Yeah i guess we should shit in the face of PGs, Assault grens and Strums as they work the same way yet have no armor. Awesome work.
20 Aug 2014, 10:23 AM

Yeah i guess we should shit in the face of PGs, Assault grens and Strums as they work the same way yet have no armor. Awesome work.

Assault grens are 0 cp and have sprint which allows them to close in. They also are 5 men, making them more durable than soviet squads.

Sturmpios and PG are not close combat units, they are mid range units. They excel at mid range. Not close range. This is why so many people think that PGs are useless, because they use them wrong.

And all of these units are cheaper than shock troops.
20 Aug 2014, 10:37 AM
Patrion 14

same as to what. to shock troops? maybe you should learn about stg44 weapons profile? im sorry but only ass gren works 'similarly'.

p.s. pg has reduced received accuracy modifier which has almost exact role as armor
20 Aug 2014, 10:55 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Aug 2014, 06:59 AMJohnnyB
Shocks have several weaknesses:

- they cost alot to call-in and to reinforce. Used extensively, they can drain your manpower;
- they are efficient only in close quorter combat though they have no problem reaching it. So they must be kept at distance;
- they got no AT.

So what we learn from this?
- Use something that kills them quickly enough. Like mines, snipers, vehicles (especialy AA vehicles);
- Keep them at distance as much as possible by supressing them or by moving your units backwards. Concentrate all your infantry fire on one squad at a time;
- use vehicles (even light vehicles to chase and kill them).

There you are.

No, they are not inbalanced. I frankly prefer to be "shocked" than "tanked" or "ISUed" ;)

Your logic is wrong; for example if the Wehrmacht sniper was to have 10x the RoF it would still have "no AT", "cost alot" and die at close range. But it would be extremely overpowered.

Whether or not something has counters or is killable doesn't tell you if it overperforms or underperforms.
20 Aug 2014, 11:01 AM

Your logic is wrong; for example if the Wehrmacht sniper was to have 10x the RoF it would still have "no AT", "cost alot" and die at close range. But it would be extremely overpowered.

Whether or not something has counters or is killable doesn't tell you if it overperforms or underperforms.

Just trying to be constructive there. Shocks are one of the smallest inbalance problems soviet army has because you can deal with them. If we are talking about ISU for instance, now that's a big problem, because in the hands of a not stupid player it is almos unkillable.
20 Aug 2014, 11:16 AM

Shocks need to be balanced. For similar axis units, you don't see falls, obers etc being spammed simply because it's not feasible as they are too fragile. Shocks are very durable and completely facerape, pretty much terminator units. If you keep pulling your inf away from them you will eventually be back at your base because you won't be able to kill them on the move. If you stop to shoot they will close up and facerape. Unless you outnumber them 3 to 1 from long range and they actually stupidly rush like that without smoke you can kill them. Maybe units like lmg grens/obers/falls etc can get them 1 to 1 from long range before they close up but any decent sov player wouldn't do that.

And the at least decent sov player will always have a couple of conscript squads around them to scare off any vehicles that try to kill them or even zis behind on smaller/narrower maps.
20 Aug 2014, 11:35 AM

Shocks are fine as they are right now.
Don't try to fix something that isn't broken.

Try to rise your in game "skill" by playing more demanding modes and see for yourself or, even better idea, try to mimic the strat and play with Shocks as Soviet from time to time to learn how to deal with them.

20 Aug 2014, 11:41 AM

Remove armor. They don't need it with 6 men, crazy high dps and smoke.
20 Aug 2014, 11:56 AM

Shocks are fine. Their name shows their role, closing in and raping is what they do.
It's elite infantry so dumbing them down to a level of standard infantry would be bs.

There are enough counters available when they hit the field, so no real issue.

The only thing that bugs me then can walk into mg, throw a grenade and retreat.

But that's an issue with the mg42\34, they simply need better suppression.

20 Aug 2014, 12:07 PM

Well, its pretty simple-you struggle constantly against shocks, you belong to single player.

Keep range.

Nothing more is needed to counter them.
If you don't have micro for that, its certainly not shocks fault.
20 Aug 2014, 12:25 PM

Permanently Banned
Remove armor. They don't need it with 6 men, crazy high dps and smoke.

+1
20 Aug 2014, 13:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Aug 2014, 11:01 AMJohnnyB

Just trying to be constructive there. Shocks are one of the smallest inbalance problems soviet army has because you can deal with them. If we are talking about ISU for instance, now that's a big problem, because in the hands of a not stupid player it is almos unkillable.

Was just clarifying anyway. Agreed that shocks (atleast as ostheer) aren't a big problem and the ISU's consistent area effect sniping of AT guns and infantry is.
Vaz
20 Aug 2014, 13:16 PM

Removing their armor would pretty much remove their usefulness almost entirely. I'm about 99% sure it also goes against Relics design spec for the unit, which is usually where they draw the line.

I don't see an issue for OKW. There are plenty of tools for OKW to deal with shocks, including sturm pioneers to do the bulk of the work(not all of it) from the start.

I see Ost suffer the most, especially with PG's being a little junky right now. Ost is still not without a counter, just they have to plan for it better than OKW does. Scout cars are pretty much a hard counter to shocks as are a well placed mg42. Light vehicles can be used to prevent smoke advances. That would require micro though.

Overall, my position is that shocks don't need any changes. They can be countered upon arrival.
20 Aug 2014, 13:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Aug 2014, 09:42 AMpigsoup

I'd say different, not worse. It's worse against units that have enough penetration to nullify armour, but better against high accuracy low penetration weapons - for example, like many of vetted German infantry.
20 Aug 2014, 13:52 PM
Patrion 14

I'd say different, not worse. It's worse against units that have enough penetration to nullify armour, but better against high accuracy low penetration weapons - for example, like many of vetted German infantry.

didnt know that thanks
20 Aug 2014, 14:42 PM
Patrion 14

Cons are fine. In fact they are too effective at being multipurpose. Molo is too cheap, oorah negates gren effectiveness immediately , insanely cheap to reinforce, Can merge. What more do you want?

They are fine against Wehr. They're absolutely shit against OKW unfortunately. That's the problem though, you can't just buff conscripts because it will fuck up Wehr vs Soviet balance, but as long as they won't be buffed we'll only see Maxims and call-in units against OKW :/
20 Aug 2014, 14:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Aug 2014, 14:42 PMCptEend

They are fine against Wehr. They're absolutely shit against OKW unfortunately. That's the problem though, you can't just buff conscripts because it will fuck up Wehr vs Soviet balance, but as long as they won't be buffed we'll only see Maxims and call-in units against OKW :/

I gotta second that. The problem with any heavy con play against OKW is that double early Pios are very hard to handle and can inflict brutal mp bleed while MG34 will close down the map...

As for shocks and Wehr, god knows MG 42 is not a good idea here - its just a steal waiting to happen, smoke and insane close range dps will make sure of that, not to mention the lovely mg bug.
20 Aug 2014, 16:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Aug 2014, 14:42 PMCptEend

nope, conscripts are horrible against upgraded grenadiers, they are only useful until bp1 when grens get upgrades. then lmg grens an tackle large amount of conscripts without taking much losses and match/beat dp28 guards. only shocks, conscripts+snipers, maxims+conscripts can match lmg grens at more micro, more resources spent and a much smaller degree of error. the problem is then further escalated when grens get vet. 20-40 kills on a single gren squad is very common.

agreed wtih okw. without m3/sniper. sturms + kubel is bloody difficult to combat. then comes the horde of volks to provide schrecks and support fire. not to mention okw elites outclass all soviet infantry.
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS