Login

russian armor

Petition: Remove Projectile Terrain Collision

31 Jul 2014, 17:39 PM

What I'm talking about is when a tank for example misses its target over, and over, and over, and over again because there is a height difference and it shoots in to the ground. The left hill on Semoisky is one of the worst places for this. Colliding with objects is fine (like hitting a stone wall) because it rewards placing tanks hull down behind objects. But watching a tank in the open go full retard because it doesn't know how to adjust the elevation of the gun is game breaking.
31 Jul 2014, 18:00 PM
31 Jul 2014, 18:07 PM

Yeah idd, this is frustrating as hell, also on Steppes.
31 Jul 2014, 18:26 PM
Patrion 27

31 Jul 2014, 19:44 PM

It's a lot more complex than this, if they remove shells crashing into the ground, then what happens? Shells will just fade into the underworld and disappear when they miss, and most AI Tanks which rely on shells hitting the ground to kill nearby infantry will suddenly become useless. The only alternative I can think of would be to make tank shells arch a bit to try and get over 'bumps', or alter how accuracy + target size functions so that guaranteed hits roll much more often.
31 Jul 2014, 19:56 PM

It's a lot more complex than this, if they remove shells crashing into the ground, then what happens? Shells will just fade into the underworld and disappear when they miss, and most AI Tanks which rely on shells hitting the ground to kill nearby infantry will suddenly become useless. The only alternative I can think of would be to make tank shells arch a bit to try and get over 'bumps', or alter how accuracy + target size functions so that guaranteed hits roll much more often.

Target size of an armoured unit should judge the height at which its projectile is being launched, where increased height advantage (i.e. King Tiger) means less of a chance of that unit's shell's hitting a small bump or hill in front of them.

This would promote smaller armoured units or light vehicles to have to utilize their mobility to get on the higher ground, where heavier armoured units will still have a fighting chance battling up hill, at a slight penalty depending on target size
31 Jul 2014, 19:57 PM

What I'm talking about is when a tank for example misses its target over, and over, and over, and over again because there is a height difference and it shoots in to the ground. The left hill on Semoisky is one of the worst places for this. Colliding with objects is fine (like hitting a stone wall) because it rewards placing tanks hull down behind objects. But watching a tank in the open go full retard because it doesn't know how to adjust the elevation of the gun is game breaking.

+1
31 Jul 2014, 20:03 PM

Actually, there are some cases where AT gun shells clip through the ground and destroy their target. Steppes, for example when there is a tank at mid fuel on the hill and there is an AT gun at the bottom. It can shoot it, at least i randomly lose tanks to weird physics.

Also, i see this as a massive buff to flak weapons (luchs, 2 cm emplacement, 2 cm flack truck, ostwind, t4 OKW truck, Ost scout car cannon).
31 Jul 2014, 20:17 PM

Actually, there are some cases where AT gun shells clip through the ground and destroy their target. Steppes, for example when there is a tank at mid fuel on the hill and there is an AT gun at the bottom. It can shoot it, at least i randomly lose tanks to weird physics.

I'll explain this with an edit of another post I made once:

It's a side-effect of how ballistic weapons (all tank guns and AT weapons) work, there's no way to fix it. This goes for all AT guns, AT Rockets, Tank Guns, etc.

There are 2 systems in place, the first one works like Accuracy × Target Size = Chance of guaranteed hit. If a hit is guaranteed, the second system does not need to come into play, and the shot will hit nomatter what even if it has to phase through walls or turn in mid-air.

The second system is Scatter, in the event the shot is not a guaranteed hit, it may still hit depending on the vehicle's scatter. On the other hand, scattered shots can hit terrain and objects. So it can hit, but it's not guaranteed, and on uneven elevation the chance to not hit is larger.
31 Jul 2014, 21:38 PM

+1

I don't remember this being an issue before WFA. What could have changed?

Now, you can basically play king of the hill on a number of maps. On say Minsk it's really difficult because you need to take some long routes around just so your tank will hit the target instead of the ground, making it very difficult to stop a flank that comes down from one of the side hills.

31 Jul 2014, 21:46 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

All the complaints of homing AT nades breaking realism, and we want tank projectiles to go through terrain?

It puts value on holding high ground, which is in fact incredibly beneficial in actual combat. It needs optimization, sure, but physics-defying tank shells wouldn't be as fun as we would like to think.

Part of the problem is map design, because there truly is some annoying height problems. Hill 331, Rostov, Don River (lol), parts of steppes, etc.
31 Jul 2014, 21:54 PM

I think it would already help to just make it ignore terrain for the first 3 or so meters. That way incidents like Volks blowing up their own cover or 2cm flak guns never hitting anything would occur much less frequently.
For tanks it isn't really needed but I guess the same 3 m or so wouldn't change much for them either way. It might even be combined with a 3 m dead zone where the tank can't shoot at small targets (i.e. infantry right next to it), which would be kind of realistic (can't pan down gun that steep).
31 Jul 2014, 21:54 PM

Part of the game. You don't complain that your tank can't shoot through hedges, so why do you complain that it can't shoot around terrain elevation?
31 Jul 2014, 21:56 PM

Tanks actually can shoot through hedges quite well. You just need to use Attack Ground because they have no direct vision.
1 Aug 2014, 00:48 AM
Patrion 14

+1. hate seeing my at gun move up and hit a slightly lifted terrain. hate seeing my at gun miss again and again even the enemy is too stupid to move out of the range.
1 Aug 2014, 01:02 AM

YES, it is so fucked up when seeing Rakentenwerfer shooting on the damn ground.

I almost want to tear my hair off when seeing the Rakentenwerfer shooting three rockets on the fucking ground instead of a fucking T-34 in front of it.
1 Aug 2014, 01:07 AM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

Everybody knows not to go full retard. +1
1 Aug 2014, 01:47 AM

Part of the game. You don't complain that your tank can't shoot through hedges, so why do you complain that it can't shoot around terrain elevation?

Because hedges obscures line of sight, and that makes perfect sense. This is a matter of projectiles being poorly animated/programmed to collide with the ground every time it tries to shoot at something elevated. If the tank with high ground advantage was slightly more accurate, fine with me. In no realistic scenario would someone nail the ground in front of the target every time because they can't compute a difference in height.
1 Aug 2014, 03:35 AM

Where is da petition tho ?

+1 however
1 Aug 2014, 04:46 AM

+1

People from the special Olympics should not be driving tanks
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 90
unknown 5
United States 1

Ladders Top 10