Login

russian armor

Howitzer Balance

16 May 2014, 11:51 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

So what is everyone's opinion about the howitzers now? For me the damage output of both is quite nice and reload seems much better. The German is still superior simply because it is always a good choice. The Germans have too many (popular) commanders with recon and bombs that can kill the Soviet one.
The only thing is that the cost seems a bit too high. 450 or 500 mp seems more reasonable for their effect.
16 May 2014, 13:40 PM

Still the same. Boom! Gone.
16 May 2014, 14:35 PM

The problem with howitzers I find is that they are too expensive. Who would be floating 600 mp late game and want to invest in a howitzer when you can get 2-3 more infantry squads or tanks? Imo put a fuel tag onto the howitzer like in coh1 and reduce the manpower cost. Say about 450 manpower and 75 fuel. I don't mind if bombing strikes can kill it in one shot. If you let them get sight on the howitzer it's your fault. This happened in coh1 as well.
16 May 2014, 15:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 May 2014, 14:35 PMS73v0
The problem with howitzers I find is that they are too expensive. Who would be floating 600 mp late game and want to invest in a howitzer when you can get 2-3 more infantry squads or tanks? Imo put a fuel tag onto the howitzer like in coh1 and reduce the manpower cost. Say about 450 manpower and 75 fuel. I don't mind if bombing strikes can kill it in one shot. If you let them get sight on the howitzer it's your fault. This happened in coh1 as well.

In COH1, the only things that 1 shot arty is V2 from Terror or Rocket Barrage from Defensive and both abilities come way later than arty and V2 has a crazy cooldown, not like COH2 where u can always have Stuka/IL-2 when the arty gets built. Simply put, arty sucks because commander design sucks.
16 May 2014, 18:11 PM

In COH1, the only things that 1 shot arty is V2 from Terror or Rocket Barrage from Defensive and both abilities come way later than arty and V2 has a crazy cooldown, not like COH2 where u can always have Stuka/IL-2 when the arty gets built. Simply put, arty sucks because commander design sucks.

Yes to this. US offmaps were no real threat to on-maps. At best they could, or at least might decrew an on map.though a 280mm was much more effective than a bomb run, but you needed sight for both. (Airborne could give sight, but at 300 muni it STILL wasn't a guaranteed kill).
16 May 2014, 19:50 PM

Yeah but bombing run sucked anyway, and Axis didn't even have stationary howitzers.
16 May 2014, 20:41 PM
Donator 22

make the howitzer cheaper. Lets say 480 MP. The PAK43 has the same MP price...
16 May 2014, 20:59 PM

Only real issue is doctrines with recon and a bomb strike. At least if it's achieved by two team mates using doctrine with one of each at least that requires a bit more team work and co -ordination. That would make it less common to get bombed and not viable, not to mention 1v1
17 May 2014, 01:28 AM

Indeed IL-2 bombing run comes late in the doctrine and costs about 200 muni (correct me if I'm wrong) and is equivilent to the German rocket barrage in coh 1. Stuka costs about 150 muni and is equivilent to the US off map arty. If they were alright in coh 1 I don't see any problem with them being in coh 2. With Truesight it should be even easier to keep your howitzers alive.

If howtizers become cheaper (which I think they should be) they should be able to be destroyed by doctrinal abilities. Tanks getting close to an enemy howitzer in enemy territory and it takes 3 shots to destroy (and it might further miss 2-3 of it's shots) is way too easy to keep your howitzer alive.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★