Login

russian armor

Stats reset under consideration

11 Apr 2014, 18:02 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

Reset all is a challenge. Some said that were bored in 1v1
11 Apr 2014, 19:00 PM

relic: please do a full ladder/stat reset.

right now the stats are all messed up with the original random and AU automatches lumped together.

i for one would love to start over WHEN the new factions are released.
11 Apr 2014, 19:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Apr 2014, 17:35 PMNapalm

I could see a couple:

- Reset the unfair advantage beta testers have been given. By participating in the beta they get early insight into game changing mechanics and can adapt sooner.

this does nothing to change the "unfair advantage". they still know more about the new patches before anyone else.

- Flush out inactive players.

decay will already do this for the high ranks.

- Give folks who have just picked up a game a chance at making it into the ladders.

not sure what you mean. if you only play a few games, youll be low on the ranks with or without a ladder reset. even looking at the top ranks now, theres quite a few high ranked 1v1 players with fewer than 50 games played. playing like cataclaw or sage is not a requirement.

- Remove historic losses that occurred during the "whoops, lol, balance" cycles.

everyone has gone through these cycles, so that seems pretty fair.

Frankly, I like to hear one down side of resetting stats.

the whole point of ladders and stats is to track the players. like sluzbenik said, if everyones ratings are reset, the automatch games will be even more imbalanced than they are now. you could have top 10 players matched up with people who have never played before. it takes time for the ratings to actually represent a players skill.
11 Apr 2014, 19:43 PM

How does that work exactly? By clearing the stats after a new patch has dropped wouldn't beta testers theoretically be owning the ladders until everyone catches up?

You are correct. I worded it poorly. They would be less enshrined and have to battle just as hard as the regular folk to get their spots back. It still does nothing to address the advantage...dunno.
11 Apr 2014, 19:45 PM
Patrion 15

When Relic is considering messing with all of this, I hope they also consider showing something in the load-in screen. This "we're all equal, we don't want pussies to quit early" shit has gotta go. Show us some meaningful ranks somewhere, anywhere, please.

Whole heartedly agree, Show us something of significance. Not just our "experience" level.
11 Apr 2014, 19:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Apr 2014, 19:42 PMwooof

the whole point of ladders and stats is to track the players. like sluzbenik said, if everyones ratings are reset, the automatch games will be even more imbalanced than they are now. you could have top 10 players matched up with people who have never played before. it takes time for the ratings to actually represent a players skill.

Perhaps having an "Overall" rankings that represents all the seasons would be a good fit?

I wonder how other competitive titles handle this. Anybody know about Starcraft 2?
11 Apr 2014, 19:50 PM

Whole heartedly agree, Show us something of significance. Not just our "experience" level.

Hours wasted: Over 9000.
11 Apr 2014, 19:50 PM

I support this wholeheartedly, though please let it be model'd like SC2 or something with seasons/leagues. The fact that everyone is in the same boat crap gets boring after a while.
Seb
11 Apr 2014, 19:53 PM
Admin Black Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Apr 2014, 19:49 PMNapalm

Perhaps having an "Overall" rankings that represents all the seasons would be a good fit?

I wonder how other competitive titles handle this. Anybody know about Starcraft 2?

LoL : new season + stats reset every year (keep history of previous seasons) + rewards (including various current "badges" showing last season record), hidden MMR only half reset with new season + new placement matches (prevents fucking up match-making).

They try to do big/core changes between 2 seasons. They do have balance changes all the time though, but biggest tournaments are always couple weeks late with balance to give pros time to adapt.
11 Apr 2014, 20:05 PM
Coder Red Badge

They might reset visible stats, but they're never going to reset your hidden rating. That would just be silly. The more games you've played, the more accurate your rating is likely to be. Throwing that away every few months doesn't make sense.
11 Apr 2014, 20:05 PM

A seasons/league structure is something that would make me come back to the game on a more permanent basis.
11 Apr 2014, 20:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Apr 2014, 20:05 PMInverse
They might reset visible stats, but they're never going to reset your hidden rating. That would just be silly. The more games you've played, the more accurate your rating is likely to be. Throwing that away every few months doesn't make sense.

I can't really imagine reseting one without the other as well to work.
11 Apr 2014, 20:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Apr 2014, 19:53 PMSeb

LoL : new season + stats reset every year (keep history of previous seasons) + rewards (including various current "badges" showing last season record), hidden MMR only half reset with new season + new placement matches (prevents fucking up match-making).

They try to do big/core changes between 2 seasons. They do have balance changes all the time though, but biggest tournaments are always couple weeks late with balance to give pros time to adapt.

Way cool Seb, thanks for sharing this information. This seems like a wonderful idea.
11 Apr 2014, 20:19 PM
Coder Red Badge

It works fine, it just means instead of ranking players by their rating you rank them by the points they've received during the current season. If you completely reset all rating information it would take weeks of terribly mismatched games before matchmaking was able to create balanced matches again.
11 Apr 2014, 20:22 PM

+1 to support of a league/seasons and stat reset.

11 Apr 2014, 21:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Apr 2014, 19:42 PMwooof
decay will already do this for the high ranks.

I went like ~5 months without playing Ostheer in 1v1, only dropped to position 400 or so which isn't a relatively small decay for being inactive that long.

everyone has gone through these cycles, so that seems pretty fair.

Since most people improve over time, they like stats to reflect how they've been playing recently and not every game they ever played. If there was also an all time stats page that would be fine, but there should be something that shows current performance and not how many times you got roflstomped by SU85 or Tiger Ace way back in the day. Pro sports leagues do the same thing, we aren't exactly trying to reinvent the wheel.

Like Ami and Inverse said you could keep the ELO points in to a next season. In SC2 you only do placement matches for your first season, then next season it just drops you in the same league you were in before afaik.
Neo
11 Apr 2014, 21:44 PM

I went like ~5 months without playing Ostheer in 1v1, only dropped to position 400 or so which isn't a relatively small decay for being inactive that long.

Since most people improve over time, they like stats to reflect how they've been playing recently and not every game they ever played. If there was also an all time stats page that would be fine, but there should be something that shows current performance and not how many times you got roflstomped by SU85 or Tiger Ace way back in the day. Pro sports leagues do the same thing, we aren't exactly trying to reinvent the wheel.

Like Ami and Inverse said you could keep the ELO points in to a next season. In SC2 you only do placement matches for your first season, then next season it just drops you in the same league you were in before afaik.

Agree with every point here.
12 Apr 2014, 00:42 AM

12 Apr 2014, 00:46 AM

would like if it reset elo also because my account has so many drops on it and thats because of a. not knowing about the surrender button and b. playing pre battle servers. I don't know if drops negatively affect ratings but I like the idea of seasons anyways
12 Apr 2014, 02:40 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Decay should work a bit faster or ladder reset :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★