Login

russian armor

[WIP] (2-4) Bystraya Voda

1 Jan 2014, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the feedback!

Siberian and Marcus tested the map on stream, which can be seen here http://da.twitch.tv/siberiangt/b/491144352 at about 19 minutes in.

I'll be going through the feedback I got here and what they discuss in the stream, and modify the map accordingly :)
6 Jan 2014, 07:27 AM

New version is up on the workshop!
  • Moved the west VP to hopefully make it more harassable.
  • Closed the map a bit with more vis-blockers to give more flanking options and make it feel larger.
  • Removed 2 sectors in the north.

Please tell me how you like these changes!
Does the map feel too closed or open?
Does one side have advantage over the other?
Do you feel you lack more munitions or fuel than normal?
How does the sector layout feel?
6 Jan 2014, 10:47 AM

new tactical map image bitte
9 Jan 2014, 20:33 PM

Just played your map.
I like it overall. I have separated my feedback into two categories.

Map layout/balance:
-I like the layout, however there are so many shot blockers. Using tanks was not that fun due to little room to maneuver. Also mortars were very powerful, and mgs kinda weak. I didn't build a sniper, but I could see how getting LOS from your sniper could also be tough. Open up one side of the map a little more, preferably the side with the fuel.
-The cut-offs are unforgiving, which I like, but I found that both players lacked fuel AND munis. It's very easy to cut both munis points. Again, I like this idea, but maybe tone it back just a little.
-I would make the fuel point easier to cut off, sort of how you have the corner munitions point. Maybe swap those points?
-One fuel point is kinda cool. I like it, but I also really don't like it at all. Even late game call-ins will be scarce, and due to lack of driving space, tanks will be easy to counter.

Appearance
-Overall appearance is OK, but could really use some work. Throw in some more splats on your roads where there isn't snow. Make the roads blend in a little more.
-Add some more objects for cover, the side with the fuel was super cluttered, while the other side was a little empty.
-Near the fuel point is a strat point with girders rising from the ground... Didn't seem realistic at all. just my opinion.
-Make the river a little more curvy, it seems too tame to be natural. This is a subtle change.
-Soften some of the terrain features. There are some places where the earth seems to jut up from the ground in a way that's too extreme. Should be easy to soften those areas up a bit.

I think that's it. Thanks for the map! Keep up the good work.
12 Jan 2014, 14:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback DrunkinGambit! :)

I've put a new version up with some of your suggestions implemented, and other things.

• Removed some shot and sight blockers, made some hedges shorter.
  • Moved some strat points so they do not block vehicle pathing. The capture areas are still the same.
  • Added some more eye pleasers.
1 Feb 2014, 08:58 AM

Siberian vs HelpingHans, from Hans' perspective:

http://www.twitch.tv/helpinghans/b/496614100

Starts at 43 minutes in.
6 Feb 2014, 23:02 PM

New version is up!

Change list
  • Moved the VPs around.
  • Reworked some sectors.
  • Some eye-candy.
  • New atmosphere settings.
6 Feb 2014, 23:22 PM

Permanently Banned
move that church a little far away from that river, i study engineering and i dont think any architecturer would build a church next to a river ^^
6 Feb 2014, 23:43 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Feb 2014, 23:22 PMakosi
move that church a little far away from that river, i study engineering and i dont think any architecturer would build a church next to a river ^^

Yeah I also thought it looked out of place, but that's just because the river has flooded over its borders :P
I will see what I can do :)
7 Feb 2014, 02:57 AM

Permanently Banned
that must have been a long term flood, Kappa
7 Feb 2014, 14:18 PM

Another new version is up!

Change list
  • Details, splines, splats, eye-candy!
  • All dirt roads now give negative cover!
  • The Church has been moved back and now has a small graveyard!
  • Other small changes, tweaked sector layout, etc.
8 Feb 2014, 19:15 PM

Yet another new version is up!

No major changes here, just added some foliage along the river and updated the loading background.

And I took some new screenshots!

9 Feb 2014, 14:20 PM

Hey! Great map Qvazar, I hope Relic will decide to get this into the official multi maps.

Btw; in the future, will you make a summer version for this map?
9 Feb 2014, 17:10 PM

Hey! Great map Qvazar, I hope Relic will decide to get this into the official multi maps.

Btw; in the future, will you make a summer version for this map?

Thank you, yes I hope so too! :)

About summer version, I don't know, I think I'll rather make a real summer map than try to adapt a map built for winter.
10 Feb 2014, 03:50 AM

I like it so far but we didn't get to tanks so not sure how the pathing issues play out. I'll try to have a longer game on it.

One thing I do not like is the ANGLE of the moonlight when it rises. It's way too sharp and since the moon isn't visible in the sky (actually the sky is more light in the wrong place, toward the southwest I think) it just looks weird from a horizontalish viewing angle. The blue is also quite a bit jarring at start. It's not the right shade for night...Not sure if you can do anything about that, but maybe add some dark purple.

I think you could do with some green cover near the north base road. I base pinned my opponent early and he had absolutely no chance of getting anything out on that road, everything just got shredded. Very similar to Langraskaya before they added some green cover for north.

10 Feb 2014, 07:00 AM

Thanks sluzbenik!

I actually just used two of Relics standard atmospheres, so we can blame them :p I'll try to play around with the settings a bit.

Did you save a replay of the basepin? That would really help me to see what could be wrong.
10 Feb 2014, 08:28 AM
Patrion 15

Hey man, played your map and really enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to playing it as its updated, the atmosphere is excellent, and I generally like the overall look of the map.

If I could offer some feedback: The tactical map needs more definition. By that I mean the flanking routes and sightlines created by the hedges, particularly in the south, should be emphasized in the minimap and tactical map. As it is now, the only real observable info from the mini map is where the river runs. I don't know if it is possible to really make it clear without being cluttered, but I might be worth looking at. Overall thanks for the good work!
10 Feb 2014, 09:26 AM

Very intrigued by this map, will try it out once i'm back playing coh2.

Is this the only map you made so far? And thats not a bad thing, because I see people spamming out maps and none of them are good. Polish it out and then move on :P

10 Feb 2014, 11:58 AM

Yes, it's the only map I made yet for the CoH franchise :)
23 Mar 2014, 11:56 AM

Yet another new version is up!
Take a look at the first post for the new map layout.

Change list
23/3 2014
  • Changed the south area. The map border is now a frozen lake.
  • The area around the south cut-off for eastern player has been changed, with the intention of making it more defendable.
  • New screenshots here and on steam workshop.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★