Login

russian armor

[WIP] (2-4) Bystraya Voda

30 Nov 2013, 18:33 PM

Looking for feedback thread? Go here!

----------------------------

I hope to make this a competitive-worthy primarily 1v1 map, inspired by Pointe du Hoc from CoH1. Not an actual copy, but in spirit.
Your thoughts, feedback, criticism or comments is very welcome!

Change list
23/3 2014
  • Changed the south area. The map border is now a frozen lake.
  • The area around the south cut-off for eastern player has been changed, with the intention of making it more defendable.
  • New screenshots here and on steam workshop.

8/2 2014
  • Added some foliage along the river.
  • New loading screen.
  • New screenshots here and on steam workshop.

7/2 2014
  • Details, splines, splats, eye-candy!
  • All dirt roads now give negative cover!
  • The Church has been moved back and now has a small graveyard!
  • Other small changes, tweaked sector layout, etc.

6/2 2014
  • Moved the VPs around.
  • Reworked some sectors.
  • Some eye-candy.
  • New atmosphere settings.

12/1 2014
  • Removed some shot and sight blockers, made some hedges shorter.
  • Moved some strat points so they do not block vehicle pathing. The capture areas are still the same.
  • Added some more eye pleasers.

Please tell me how you like these changes!
Does the map feel too closed or open?
Does one side have advantage over the other?
Do you feel you lack more munitions or fuel than normal?
How does the sector layout feel?

6/1 2014
  • Moved the west VP to hopefully make it more harassable.
  • Closed the map a bit with more vis-blockers to give more flanking options and make it feel larger.
  • Removed 2 sectors in the north.

27/12 2013
  • Custom loading screen image.
  • Added some cover at north VP.
  • Custom minimaps.
  • Fixed some impass bugs.

26/12 2013
Christmas holidays! Finally had time to work on the map, and I think it's now very close to how I envisioned it.
  • Moved VPs.
  • Reworked sector layout to get more cutoff possibilities.
  • The north of the map is reworked.
  • Added base bunkers.
  • Strat points moved further away from the bases, to avoid being able to reinforce from base while defending them.
  • Base exits reworked.
  • Probably a lot of things I forgot.
2 Dec 2013, 22:28 PM
Patrion 26

One fuel point? I guess you are not a fan of vehicle rush ? =)
I think the river is a bit too straight and feels un-natural.
2 Dec 2013, 23:04 PM

The intention is the force the players to fight for the south fuel point in the early game, just like on the old Pointe du Hoc.
Late game will then move the battle to the north for extra munitions and the VP.

The frozen river is a fast but risky way for vehicles to quickly get across the map, like the road on Angoville.
2 Dec 2013, 23:46 PM
Patrion 26

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Dec 2013, 23:04 PMQvazar
The intention is the force the players to fight for the south fuel point in the early game, just like on the old Pointe du Hoc.
Late game will then move the battle to the north for extra munitions and the VP.

The frozen river is a fast but risky way for vehicles to quickly get across the map, like the road on Angoville.

Maybe make the river a bit wider and not so straight? I mean I got the point of the river, it just looks clunky and from the screenshots kinda too narrow
3 Dec 2013, 07:56 AM

Yeah, I was thinking that as well, but it's hard to judge sizes from screenshots with no units in them. We'll have to see :)
Hux
3 Dec 2013, 07:59 AM
Patrion 14

This looks like a nice map. ONe thing you might want to try and tweak is the shape of the snowflakes, from the screenshots they look to be quite square :S
3 Dec 2013, 08:12 AM

I played a bit with the width of the river, and you were right. It's so much better 50-100% wider than before.

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Dec 2013, 07:59 AMHux
This looks like a nice map. ONe thing you might want to try and tweak is the shape of the snowflakes, from the screenshots they look to be quite square :S

Yeah, I'm just using a standard relic atmosphere, it might be better ingame. I'll give it a look :)
3 Dec 2013, 10:40 AM
Patrion 26

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Dec 2013, 08:12 AMQvazar
I played a bit with the width of the river, and you were right. It's so much better 50-100% wider than before.

Yep and from the screenshot it looks so much better
3 Dec 2013, 14:00 PM
Patrion 26

By the way is it me or you dont really have cut off points
3 Dec 2013, 14:03 PM
Patrion 26

Also can you post a screenshot of the tactical map? Would like to see it =)
3 Dec 2013, 16:58 PM

Nice map! Love the idea of the single fuel to fight for. Can I download it somewhere and test it?

First impressions:

1. Maybe three fuel better then one. Otherwise soviet probably in disadvantage because they need a lot of fuel.

2. VP's seem to be very close to base. That would mean that it is only possible to really capture 2 of the 3 vp's

3. One VP has hedgerow between it and the base the other one doesn't. maybe it is possible now to cover the vp with an mg that is located in the base section?

anyway, looking forward to seeing it live!
3 Dec 2013, 17:38 PM
Patrion 26

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Dec 2013, 16:58 PMTabuya
Nice map! Love the idea of the single fuel to fight for. Can I download it somewhere and test it?

First impressions:

1. Maybe three fuel better then one. Otherwise soviet probably in disadvantage because they need a lot of fuel.

2. VP's seem to be very close to base. That would mean that it is only possible to really capture 2 of the 3 vp's

3. One VP has hedgerow between it and the base the other one doesn't. maybe it is possible now to cover the vp with an mg that is located in the base section?

anyway, looking forward to seeing it live!

The VPs may look close on this map, bu tin fact if we don`t see it as it is or play it we can`t really tell. I hope he releases a beta of it so we could actually test it and give him some valuable feedback.
3 Dec 2013, 18:41 PM

I will later tonight or tomorrow. Need to figure out how to prepare the tacmap, and play some CoH2 ;)

EDIT:
In-game shot of the tactical map:

Playable alpha version of the map
Extract this to your "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\my games\Company of Heroes 2\mods\scenarios" folder and run a custom game. :)
Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Todo-list:
* Base bunkers are missing.
* North area is not anywhere near finished. Ideas?
* General testing. Ice, music (I think there's 2 tracks playing?), atmosphere, etc.
* Move unit spawn positions. Units spawn at the map entrance instead of walking in.
3 Dec 2013, 19:49 PM
Patrion 26

I think, most of your Strat points on north don`t serve a role.
Also south where the fuel point is, you cant really cut it off.
VP`s are too close to the base indeed.
3 Dec 2013, 20:02 PM

You have one too many normal points and are missing one of the fuel points on the map. Map doesn't seem to have any one or two areas that you are supposed to focus on. Vps and resource points seem to be in the advantage of the western player was well.

cover is also a little weird some parts of the map have tons of cover all around and others nothing. A lot of the points ( pretty much everyone) also don't have any cover inside them making them kinda hard to fight over.

Cool looking map over all though reminds me a lot of world in conflict.
3 Dec 2013, 20:09 PM
Patrion 26

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Dec 2013, 20:02 PMCon!
You have one too many normal points and are missing one of the fuel points on the map. Map doesn't seem to have any one or two areas that you are supposed to focus on. Vps and resource points seem to be in the advantage of the western player was well.

cover is also a little weird some parts of the map have tons of cover all around and others nothing. A lot of the points ( pretty much everyone) also don't have any cover inside them making them kinda hard to fight over.

Cool looking map over all though reminds me a lot of world in conflict.

I personally believe that points shouldn`t have cover inside of them. Makes it risky to actually cap it ( as it should be from the beginning). You should be in a dilema, loose MP to get the point or get in cover fend off the enemy and then cap.
As for the resource advantage I think he is right. But it may just look like it while in reality the distance to them may be the same for both sides.
3 Dec 2013, 20:41 PM

Yeah I went crazy with the small bushes, not realizing they gave yellow cover.

The missing fuel point is on purpose, I want to see how it plays out. All current maps have a fuel point for each player.

Yes I need to do something about things feeling closer to the western player :)
3 Dec 2013, 20:53 PM

I personally believe that points shouldn`t have cover inside of them. Makes it risky to actually cap it ( as it should be from the beginning). You should be in a dilema, loose MP to get the point or get in cover fend off the enemy and then cap.
As for the resource advantage I think he is right. But it may just look like it while in reality the distance to them may be the same for both sides.

While the points should or shouldn't have cover in them, can be debated, but a lot of them don't have any cover near them either to move into if an enemy comes.

A few more houses up north would probably give it a a little character.

Ya I wondered the same thing about the resource layout, weather it was unbalanced or not I don't know, it looks like it though.
3 Dec 2013, 20:54 PM
Patrion 26

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Dec 2013, 20:41 PMQvazar
Yeah I went crazy with the small bushes, not realizing they gave yellow cover.

The missing fuel point is on purpose, I want to see how it plays out. All current maps have a fuel point for each player.

Don`t forget the strat point on the north =) You got 3 strategic points around a VP which serve no purpose ( They don`t cutoff the muni to either side).
Also I think it is best to place heavy cover next to some houses to make it somehow balance out. If 1 player got in the house the other one should have some cover to stick around if he has to. Also I think muni point could use some heavy/light cover around.
3 Dec 2013, 20:59 PM
Patrion 26

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Dec 2013, 20:41 PMQvazar

Best way is to test ingame how much time a unit needs to get from point a -> b from both sides.
So yeah, Testing testing testing =)
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Livestreams

unknown 29
unknown 5
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %