Login

russian armor

Active spectator mode coh2?

18 Dec 2012, 16:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Dec 2012, 12:20 PMcr4wler
you don't have to like SC2 in order to acknowledge that is one of THE biggest games in esports, and has some of THE BEST TOOLS FOR ESPORTS.

Learn from the best.

quoting you because some people here are just blind.

People taking SC2 as an example don't talk about the game, but the TOOLS.
L2read guys.
18 Dec 2012, 16:44 PM

suchs as an improved replay system you guys dont event mention...
18 Dec 2012, 18:43 PM

SC2+Blizzard focus on the esport side and the game blew up. LoL focused on the esport side and the game blew up. The competitive scene keeps the game in the present for years to come.
19 Dec 2012, 00:02 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Dec 2012, 14:58 PMchef
SC2!(not 1) is not a top game. Its like pop music compared to rock/metal music.
Only because 100.000.00.... most asian play this game doesnt make it good.
80% listen to pop. But rock/metal is still better. Higher class music.
CoH(2) is more conmplex, dynamic, better looking and more fun to play.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/starcraft-ii-wings-of-liberty
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/company-of-heroes
Just look at the User Score

So pls dont learn from inferior games

these are all opinions not facts... especially your analogy to rock music and pop. sure I like rock better but i acknowledge these are opinions... sure the user score is somewhat factually but its based on opinions and is not entirely accurate to begin with. yet you present these as if there facts...
19 Dec 2012, 04:44 AM

quoting you because some people here are just blind.

People taking SC2 as an example don't talk about the game, but the TOOLS.
L2read guys.

Thx dude.... was beginning to lose faith :-)
19 Dec 2012, 09:50 AM

You cant do what your competitors did year ago and expect to catch up on the market. 2 Years is a long time in gaming.

I'd more like to see Relic try and create something new instead of following Starcraft 2. But since there is no live spectating for release I'd take anything at this point.
19 Dec 2012, 11:03 AM

You cant do what your competitors did year ago and expect to catch up on the market. 2 Years is a long time in gaming.

I'd more like to see Relic try and create something new instead of following Starcraft 2. But since there is no live spectating for release I'd take anything at this point.

exactly what i was hoping relic would do for coh2... high hopes lead to disappointments, i guess :/
19 Dec 2012, 15:40 PM

Spectating shouldn't have to be a 'high hope' for a 2013 game. It should almost be a given. :/
19 Dec 2012, 19:47 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

This will surely hurt CoH2's longevity. Relic definitely needs to take a step back and look at the competition and consider "What did they do right?". E-Sports brings your game to the forefront, not compstompers paying for extra leveling bonuses.
3 of 4 Relic postsRelic 20 Dec 2012, 07:09 AM
Developer Relic Badge

Can someone explain how these observer maps are made? Are they just copies of existing maps but with extra sp start points so the additional 'players' don't spawn with units?
20 Dec 2012, 07:13 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

That's the basic gist of it. The problem is that you only see the FOW of the team that you're on, so the "observer" is more of a hidden team-mate than a true observer. We got really close to turning off the FOW for the extra positions, but never managed to get cloaked units to cloak and uncloak properly.

Those "observer maps" for the big 3 (Sem, Ang, Lang) have been great for allowing a 3rd person to host and solve NAT issues, but they've never been good enough for us to use on a show like SNF.
20 Dec 2012, 08:00 AM

Can someone explain how these observer maps are made? Are they just copies of existing maps but with extra sp start points so the additional 'players' don't spawn with units?

and your a developer.... :/ btw i love you :)))
4 of 4 Relic postsRelic 20 Dec 2012, 08:24 AM
Developer Relic Badge

No-one tried setting the third player's spawn point to team 3? Though now that I think about it, that probably would just end up with FOW everywhere...
20 Dec 2012, 08:44 AM

since worldbuilder will not be available on release either, i think none of it really matters now, does it? :-P
20 Dec 2012, 09:23 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Maybe relic can modify the files a bit, so that they can build observer maps like vCoH's but with more possibilities for the observers. That would be a solution, until a build-in observer mode is done.
20 Dec 2012, 19:04 PM

Something simple like a 3rd hidden faction without units/commands and fog of war.
21 Dec 2012, 00:55 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Dec 2012, 19:04 PMchef
Something simple like a 3rd hidden faction without units/commands and fog of war.

psersonally i think it should be set up like this

4-8 slots for spectators (basically a team 3). the spectators are invite only and have to be accepted by both teams. this is to prevent the host from cheating by moving in spectator to spy on the other team without them able to prevent it. toggle able fog of war and the ability to click on both sides like your on there team. (to see what there building.)

caster HUD or spectator HUD. should be slightly different than the regular HUD for instance...
  • a live stat tracker (kinda like in sc2) of sorts allowing the spectator to see manpower lost comparisons, total tanks built/lost, total infantry built lost, que of both teams.

• possibly even make it so all arty has marker to where the person clicked so casters can easilly see where the arty going.

stuff like this probably should also be in the replay system as well.

thats my main wishlist really i just want a spec mode. even if it isn't very fancy just the ability to turn off fog of war is plenty.
21 Dec 2012, 01:18 AM

IMHO, they should allow drop in spectating. Just as DOTA allows...

You may be thinking ghosting is a problem, but this can easily be fixed. First off, pros are already being ghosted due to the increase in streams. Second: If it is too much of a problem, only allow drop in observers in skirmish games, and if the Host has enabled it for public view.

The fact that I can enter CoH and suddenly realize I can spectate the Sunday Night Fight LIVE? Thats priceless. If they do implement it, an option or rcon password to allow VOIP broadcast to observers could potentially facilitate commentators.

The Tech is already out there... its doable. Maybe not at launch, but itss doable.
21 Dec 2012, 01:47 AM
Honorary Member Badge

IMHO, they should allow drop in spectating. Just as DOTA allows...

You may be thinking ghosting is a problem, but this can easily be fixed. First off, pros are already being ghosted due to the increase in streams. Second: If it is too much of a problem, only allow drop in observers in skirmish games, and if the Host has enabled it for public view.

The fact that I can enter CoH and suddenly realize I can spectate the Sunday Night Fight LIVE? Thats priceless. If they do implement it, an option or rcon password to allow VOIP broadcast to observers could potentially facilitate commentators.

The Tech is already out there... its doable. Maybe not at launch, but itss doable.

you can only do that with dedicated servers coh2 is run off p2p or peer to peer can't do that unless it has dedicated servers. hell im not even sure if live stat tracking is possible without the game running off a dedicated server.
24 Dec 2012, 08:02 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Dec 2012, 01:47 AMWiFiDi

you can only do that with dedicated servers coh2 is run off p2p or peer to peer can't do that unless it has dedicated servers. hell im not even sure if live stat tracking is possible without the game running off a dedicated server.

All true.

You know what? Take my money then.

If the issue is server cost, then THQ can add a subscription model, with a very small fee, to keep the spectating servers up, as well as other features (such as stat tracking, exclusive tournaments, etc).

Think about it: Since not everyone might pay up, the servers wont be clogged, thus you don't need as much bandwidth/maintenance for the few that do use it(Casters, dedicated fans). IF there are a lot of players wanting that option, then they are actually making the fee for the servers and who knows, maybe even a small profit for patches and community management.I HATE to pay monthly subscriptions, but for a feature in CoH, considering the circumstances? I'd do it.

Problem is, you'd be charging for a feature most competitors give for free, and that wont look good in the press or the casual fanbase.

*PS: LoL/DOTA 2 may be "free" and offer the spectator mode, but it actually plans to balance it off through the micro-transaction model. To all naysayers about CoH micro-transactions, that is a HUGE, HUGE possibility of what Relic might be planning with THQ to implement the things being discussed here. So we should stfu and buy the skins :P
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★