Login

russian armor

Artillery units

13 Sep 2013, 00:56 AM

So apparently, Soviets had better artillery in the war. Not reflected in this game.

The 152mm fires slow and makes large explosions, but the LefH has a tiny bit less range, appears to have the same AoE, and fires MUCH faster. Not to mention that the LefH recharges substantially faster.
I noticed when I started liking 152mm, and then I tried to use a LefH and wow..
and doesn't 152mm cost more?
13 Sep 2013, 01:09 AM

The ruskies have more arty options in general, su-76, mortar, heavy mortar, rocket truck, ziz gun ability. against the osts, morter, nerb ht. That seems balanced.
13 Sep 2013, 01:40 AM

The 152mm does incredible damage to vehicles and buildings, has much higher damage shots, I think, and has ridiculous penetration. The range helps a bit. I had one kill 2 panthers yesterday. As anti-inf, the IEFH is better, but the 152 has its own role (especially given the doctrine it's in, where you often need a bit more anti-vehicle firepower).

My main concern with arty right now is how many off-maps destroy the gun in one hit. A lot of Ostheer doctrines seem to end in something that can just kill the Howitzer. In VCoH you only really had the V1 as a near-certain decrewer.
13 Sep 2013, 02:33 AM

Yeah, but the thing is, you aren't going to be hitting tanks unless you get Vet 1. and to get vet 1 you kind of need to kill some infantry.
13 Sep 2013, 02:37 AM

Yeah, but the thing is, you aren't going to be hitting tanks unless you get Vet 1. and to get vet 1 you kind of need to kill some infantry.

Long as you can guess/scout for anywhere vehicles are being repaired you've a reasonably good chance of causing a lot of damage and stopping them getting back into the fight, and if you want howitzer vet just shoot at the base a couple of times to damage buildings. You'll normally kill the healing bunker if you have to. It's not bad against infantry, and a direct hit often just kills a squad, it's just a bit light on the anti-inf compared to the IEFH howie.
13 Sep 2013, 02:40 AM

Stats are here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0ApmrrrPr20ncdEpuSHcxNko1VGVFYjczYXpFZWhqOHc&f=true&noheader=true&gid=1

Soviet howitzer does 300 per shot vs 200 for german. They have the same pen, same scatter, same accuracy and same rate of fire. Soviet howitzer has the edge on aoe. 85 recharge on german vs 120 on the soviet.

Personally I prefer the german for the rate of fire, but then the reason I don't use soviet howitzer is due to scout + stuka nullifying it. Precision shot is much better than counter battery, however.

edit: 4.875 seconds for the german reload and 5.25 for the russian, the difference isn't particularly large.
14 Sep 2013, 03:40 AM

Are the size of the explosions from the artillery pieces smaller than the US 105 in Coh1?
16 Sep 2013, 22:10 PM

Seems like the German one is better except that it doesn't have the accurate shot ability of the Russian one. I think the problem gets overlooked since these units don't get used much. The cool down on the soviet arty should probably be reduced a bit
16 Sep 2013, 23:47 PM

well in the pass two games, 1 of them my elefant(half health) got hit by a 152mm round and almost kill it, main gun destroyed with a slip of hp left, i mean that is alot damage from a single shot. so i decide try germans 105 next game, i use it, it take about 3-5shots to kill a SU85 and it used 2 shot to kill a katyusha so i say it is pretty balanced atm 1 with more damage the other can fire more often
17 Sep 2013, 16:34 PM

Soviet artillery is hit or miss, but I try to get one to alleviate the camping, especially if they've locked down the middle. Panzerwerfer can absolutely devastate if used correctly: gg infantry.
17 Sep 2013, 19:31 PM

well in the pass two games, 1 of them my elefant(half health) got hit by a 152mm round and almost kill it, main gun destroyed with a slip of hp left, i mean that is alot damage from a single shot. so i decide try germans 105 next game, i use it, it take about 3-5shots to kill a SU85 and it used 2 shot to kill a katyusha so i say it is pretty balanced atm 1 with more damage the other can fire more often

Half hp elefant has 640 hp. A 152mm she'll at vet 0/1 does 300 damage, leaving it at 380 hp, or around 1/4 hp. Su-85 has 640 hp and the 105 howitzer does 200 damage. Takes 4 shots to kill an su-85 assuming no other damage has been done and that they are direct hits.
19 Sep 2013, 14:47 PM
Donator 22

Ok so may be a noob question but can you use the 152mm to just normal fire on units? if so how?

I thought you could only use the bombard ability like the katyusha and that's all I have been using.
19 Sep 2013, 14:51 PM

it fires normally. you can even forget about it. as long as the enemy is on sight and in range he will fire.
19 Sep 2013, 15:12 PM
Donator 22

wow lol totally didnt know that!! I guess then once you get to vet 1 or 2 its better to not spam the arty mode so it actually auto attacks things? that is assuming its like the Su-76 and cannot fire at all for a while after barraging? or am I wrong on this also?
19 Sep 2013, 15:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Sep 2013, 01:40 AMBlovski

My main concern with arty right now is how many off-maps destroy the gun in one hit. A lot of Ostheer doctrines seem to end in something that can just kill the Howitzer. In VCoH you only really had the V1 as a near-certain decrewer.

I also think that stationary weapons get decrewed way to easily, especially by off map stuff.
22 Sep 2013, 05:24 AM

wow lol totally didnt know that!! I guess then once you get to vet 1 or 2 its better to not spam the arty mode so it actually auto attacks things? that is assuming its like the Su-76 and cannot fire at all for a while after barraging? or am I wrong on this also?

You can only fire them (howitzers) by using their 'abilities' (barrage, precicion strike, counter battery).
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★