Login

russian armor

CoH2 Replay Version Switcher

23 Aug 2013, 05:02 AM
Coder Red Badge

Now that Relic has begun filtering viewable replays by game version in the in-game replays view, you can no longer load replays from old patches. This is good in most cases, because new patches generally change unit statistics in such a way that old replays will throw sync errors when viewed in a new game version. However, in some cases, such as the recent hotfix to correct a major bug, no actual game files are touched. And even though the game version has changed and therefore games played on the previous patch will not appear in the in-game menu, they can actually still be viewed.

It's fairly easy to trick the system into allowing us to view these older replays; all we have to do is modify the version in the replay file to match the current version and the replays will appear. This is extremely simple to do in a hex editor, but because not everybody has the knowledge or desire to fiddle with things that way themselves, I figured I'd throw together an extremely simple application that can do the same thing for you.

Now, before you download and try it out, understand that this is, in its current form, an extremely basic program with extremely limited utility. It will convert any replay from the previous 3.0.0.10242 patch into a 3.0.0.10317 replay that can be viewed in the current version of the game. It will successfully convert old replays as well; however, those replays will not function correctly when viewed in this game version and will give you an error.

The conversion process is simple, just select a replay and hit convert. The application will create a new [FILENAME]_converted.rec file in the same directory as the original and modify that file so that it will appear in the replays menu. Once converted, the replay can be viewed in-game.

As always, use of this program is at your own risk; I assume no responsibility nor liability for any damages suffered as a result of this program's use. If you don't trust downloading .exe files, you can find the source at the Github link below. Check back regularly, I plan on implementing a more robust feature set if demand is high enough and I find the time.

Hopefully this helps some people out there who want to watch replays that were removed by the recent hotfix. If you find any issues, please post them here.

Get Latest Version (v0.13b)
View Source on Github

IMPORTANT: If you get any access denied errors, please try running the application as an administrator (right-click, select Run as Administrator). If it still doesn't work, please post here.

Changelog

v0.13b
------------
- Converted replays are now saved in the same directory as the original
- File dialog now defaults to previously used directory

v0.12b
------------
- Updated for 3.0.0.10416

v0.11b
------------
- Fixed unhandled exception, streamlined workflow

v0.1b
------------
Initial beta release
- Converts 3.0.0.10242 replays to 3.0.0.10317 replays
23 Aug 2013, 06:01 AM
Senior Caster Badge

coool
23 Aug 2013, 06:22 AM
Honorary Member Badge

relic should allow you to filter replays by game verison from the start tbh. but nice program. hopefully they add that in later.
raw
23 Aug 2013, 08:36 AM

i'll be the devil's advocat here and blame relic for not having that functionality in the game in the first place.
23 Aug 2013, 10:24 AM
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Aug 2013, 06:22 AMWiFiDi
relic should allow you to filter replays by game verison from the start tbh. but nice program. hopefully they add that in later.

what for? so that you can play them and crash the game? people will expect them to work if you display them.
they should simply flag some minor patches and let them play earlier replays.
23 Aug 2013, 10:36 AM
Donator 22

Preview Preview Reply
29 Aug 2013, 19:56 PM
Coder Red Badge

New version up, working with the new patch. Games from the previous two patch versions should work with this patch.
29 Aug 2013, 21:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Aug 2013, 19:56 PMInverse
New version up, working with the new patch. Games from the previous two patch versions should work with this patch.

for some reason when I select my replay file and press 'convert' it tells me that my file's access has been denied. what should I do?
29 Aug 2013, 23:12 PM

probably start with admin privileges and make sure file is not write protected and the game is not running (and the file is not open in any other program)
30 Aug 2013, 06:43 AM

God, bless you.
30 Aug 2013, 13:12 PM

for some reason when I select my replay file and press 'convert' it tells me that my file's access has been denied. what should I do?

I had same issue, solution: it works if you run the converter app as administrator. Also, it saves the converted one in your root drive c:\"converted_repplay.rec"
30 Aug 2013, 13:27 PM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Aug 2013, 10:24 AMtuvok

what for? so that you can play them and crash the game? people will expect them to work if you display them.
they should simply flag some minor patches and let them play earlier replays.

uh for those technically advanced enough to know how to revert back to the old version. :D
(this would be very useful for casters.) also maybe allwoing you to download previous verisons of the game off there site so you can play those older replays. agian mostly for casters or anyone who wants to view the old replays.
30 Aug 2013, 13:46 PM

Only minor patches crash the game. Casters are normally knowledgeable enough to choose the correct versions. If you mean reverting back to versions earlier than the last major patch, that would indeed be useful but really hard to do.
What might work is making copies of the whole CoH2 folder after every major patch and then switch them with the current version while steam is in offline mode.

Something we could use is a list of versions compatible with each other.
e.g:
10416 (current)
--------
theoretical major patch
theoretical hotfix of major patch
etc
30 Aug 2013, 14:59 PM
Coder Red Badge

New version up, some minor convenience fixes.

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Aug 2013, 13:12 PMMauser

I had same issue, solution: it works if you run the converter app as administrator. Also, it saves the converted one in your root drive c:\"converted_repplay.rec"

Just fixed this. It should save to the same directory as the original replay file now.
30 Aug 2013, 19:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Aug 2013, 13:12 PMMauser

Yeah that worked. Thanks for the tip!

Many thanks to Inverse for this very helpful tool.
12 Dec 2013, 21:24 PM

Any plans on updating for today's hotfix?
13 Dec 2013, 02:30 AM

ITT: OP has a really really really huge weiner
13 Dec 2013, 03:49 AM
Coder Red Badge

I might if I get around to it. Been really busy with work/holidays.
13 Dec 2013, 05:53 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2013, 03:49 AMInverse
I might if I get around to it. Been really busy with work/holidays.

We'll <444>3 you forever, if that makes a difference.
15 Feb 2014, 20:52 PM

Hi Inverse :)

Would be very gratefull if you could manage to tweak something on that hotfix so older replays may be viewable after the last patch.

Good Day sir!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 25
Germany 1
Germany 635

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %