Login

russian armor

Tips for Improving Your Play

25 Jul 2013, 12:30 PM

Top post updated to include all tips! Might try to split them up into categories if i get time...
25 Jul 2013, 12:40 PM
Donator 11

Top post updated to include all tips! Might try to split them up into categories if i get time...

This should get reviewed by a strategist and pinned or added to the guide.
25 Jul 2013, 14:13 PM

Permanently Banned
Yes, to the best of my understanding, multiple capture capable units capture objectives faster.
25 Jul 2013, 14:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jul 2013, 12:40 PMZ3r07

This should get reviewed by a strategist and pinned or added to the guide.

+1
25 Jul 2013, 14:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jul 2013, 15:19 PMwuff
Don't throw your units into the meat grinder.

If you attack a point two or three times and make little progress in breaking your opponent's defence then it's time to change tactic.

Not to interrupt the flow of this forum, but I've had this issue a lot lately. Any additional specifics as to how to go about this would be quite welcome.

My biggest issue seems to be (As Soviets)

1. Germans get 1 or 2 MGs. If I can't flank them properly (through my own lack of skill or bad infantry management) or get a bunker up, I tend to stall out until either I get tanks or they get tanks. Based on what I've seen, I tend to try to go t3, but it seems like T70s don't do as well for me as they do for people in the VODs I watch (hi TFN guys and Imperial Dane, if you visit these forums!) and usually after I upgrade, the Ostheer commander(s) will tend to get out heavy tanks, and I feel like I've wasted my investment.

I know I'm super nooby, but I appreciate any constructive criticism that could be provided. I can get replays or twitch casts up tonight if that would help.
25 Jul 2013, 15:35 PM

Not to interrupt the flow of this forum, but I've had this issue a lot lately. Any additional specifics as to how to go about this would be quite welcome.

My biggest issue seems to be (As Soviets)

1. Germans get 1 or 2 MGs. If I can't flank them properly (through my own lack of skill or bad infantry management) or get a bunker up, I tend to stall out until either I get tanks or they get tanks. Based on what I've seen, I tend to try to go t3, but it seems like T70s don't do as well for me as they do for people in the VODs I watch (hi TFN guys and Imperial Dane, if you visit these forums!) and usually after I upgrade, the Ostheer commander(s) will tend to get out heavy tanks, and I feel like I've wasted my investment.

I know I'm super nooby, but I appreciate any constructive criticism that could be provided. I can get replays or twitch casts up tonight if that would help.

I like the T-70 against early bunkers. It manages to polish them off pretty quickly. And more importantly, if you wait for heavy tanks to combat the bunkers, then you've let the bunkers do their job by securing the resources or VPs that they were built near.
25 Jul 2013, 16:00 PM

Thanks jmarks. Sounds like my issue is a combination of probably building too many Conscripts and not prioritizing tech to Russian t3.

Early game, is support weapon or special rifle the better bet? I have bad luck with snipers and scout cars, but see that many Soviet players seem to prefer Rifle Command
25 Jul 2013, 20:02 PM

Snipers are wonderful but you need to be very careful with them. Early game you can put them in scout cars to give them a bit more mobility (which equates to safety), but you'll want to put them back on foot once the Germans have upgraded scout cars and/or tanks.

Mortars are the other good counter to MG42s. If you already have three or so Conscript squads and your opponent is relying on MG42s, it's not a bad idea to a build a mortar first as soon as you finish tier 2, though you will want a Maxim as well.

Most importantly, whichever tier you choose, don't rely on Conscripts to counter MG42s unless you are seriously spamming them (which doesn't work on restricted maps
25 Jul 2013, 21:14 PM

These tips are great, good to know I've been using most of them already. But i wanted to know if anyone had some general guidance on managing everything that's going on in-game. Let me explain:
I usually hotkey my first couple units as they come in, but once things get going, i forget to re-bind units. Also, i tend to get caught up in micro managing units, and then forget about any idle/retreated units by my base. I typically float more resources late game because there is much more fighting going on. Does anyone have a thought process they follow that helps them easily remember to manage all these things equally? I feel like this overall management is holding back my play.
25 Jul 2013, 21:29 PM

I usually go with special rifle myself, but it's a matter of need and play style. Flaming scout car is my preferred early method for dealing with MGs, as I find mortars to be too slow and random. Plus if you can keep your car alive, it becomes very useful into the mid-game. Snipers are great, but I don't build them early. They're too vulnerable to scout cars.

I build guards and try to hold map control to tech to T4 for the SU-85, THEN go back and build two snipers. Dual snipers will absolutely wreck his PGs and late game forces and usually bait him into doing something dumb like over-committing a P4. Just ALWAYS keep them on the move and sprint them away if you hear the thunk of mortars. Bonus points if you have the doctrine that gives you the 120mm mortar, since you skipped the support building.
28 Jul 2013, 09:15 AM

Tip: don't use stugs, ever

Unless you like losing
28 Jul 2013, 17:20 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Nice thread! Thx OP for updating the OP. :) I could see this possibly becoming a guide or a newspost.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★