Login

russian armor

Target Priorities

9 Jul 2013, 18:55 PM

Disclaimer: Not sure if this has been posted before, and I've yet to do some extensive testing...

Shot priorities for some units seem to be illogical. The most obvious one being tanks.

When I drive my T34 or PIV into battle, with attack move, and the fog of war reveals two units at once, an ATG and an enemy tank, I want my tank, to engage the other tank. I DO NOT want my tank, shooting its direct counter, designed specifically to kill me, while the other tank shoots at me freely.

Now, I know, I can just right click the enemy tank, but what happens if for a split second I was dodging a molotov or bundled nade with my infantry right beside the tank, and my tank shoots? I am toast.

This is also particularly frustrating when I am trying to perform circle strafe or whatever. I am giving move commands, not attack commands. I expect my tank to shoot the other tank, unless I've assigned a specific target.

Same thing with snipers. If my sniper sees two units in the field: an enemy sniper and anything else, I EXPECT my sniper to prioritize the countersnipe, not the other way around.

Granted: maybe im wrong. Maybe the fog of war revealed the low priority unit just before the juicy target, and my unit locked unto the bad target, but it can get VERY frustrating.
9 Jul 2013, 19:14 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

Relic is looking at target priorities, no worries :)
9 Jul 2013, 19:15 PM

i do admit that i do not know exactly how it works, but since target tables are gone, the target priority system has been completely reworked.

as far as i can see, the target priority is now being assesed by looking at the targets weapon. each weapon has a "threat" value, which seemingly gets modified by a distance value for far/near. weapon orientation might play a role.
for most anti tank weapons that i had a quick peak at, all those values were identical, meaning that either the entity with the weapon that is closer gets targeted, or the one that was spotted first. whether it will switch focus to another target is seemingly dependent on 2 other values: current_target and suggested_target... how these are factored into the mix, i have no clue.

as for sniper vs. sniper... submachine guns for example have an extremely high near threat modifier which is only logical. but that also means that the PG squad next to your sniper is prioritized over the sniper (that might also be in range).

incidentally, sniper rifles have very low threat level distance modifiers.
9 Jul 2013, 22:14 PM

I just noticed this yesterday and it nearly cost me the match. (I lost but it was from bad micro lol). Anyway my panther was attacking an su85 but its turret kept aimi g at infantry in the building!!!! Lukily it came to its senses once I got direct control of the unit. But I almost lost it! And it lost a lot more health then it needed to.
10 Jul 2013, 13:45 PM

Relic is looking at target priorities, no worries :)

Can they tweak it that infantry stops firing at armored units they can not harm? I hate it when I give my sniper an attack-move order to approach the enemy and he starts firing at and SU-85.

Same is with HMGs and Bunkers. The Maxim for example does 0 damage to the German bunkers but still fires at them when one is inside its arc of fire.
10 Jul 2013, 14:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jul 2013, 13:45 PMUmbert

Can they tweak it that infantry stops firing at armored units they can not harm? I hate it when I give my sniper an attack-move order to approach the enemy and he starts firing at and SU-85.

Same is with HMGs and Bunkers. The Maxim for example does 0 damage to the German bunkers but still fires at them when one is inside its arc of fire.

i don't really see how, at least not with the current system.
the weapon that the target has influences whether the unit that potentially wants to kill it prioritizes it over other units. i don't see how you can factor your own weapon into that system without considerably changing it (assuming that i am guessing correctly how the system works in the first place).
1 of 2 Relic postsRelic 10 Jul 2013, 19:15 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Yeah, most of these issues will be addressed. We're just waiting for some minor code support, hopefully we can get out the improvements by next patch if not then the patch after.
10 Jul 2013, 19:28 PM
Donator 11

Yeah, most of these issues will be addressed. We're just waiting for some minor code support, hopefully we can get out the improvements by next patch if not then the patch after.

will the German strafing run be fix for next patch ?
2 of 2 Relic postsRelic 10 Jul 2013, 20:47 PM
Developer Relic Badge

That is the plan.
11 Jul 2013, 16:27 PM

This is really good to hear. I mean, targeting priorities will not make you lose the game, for sure. A good micro will override this most of the time, but it can produce some frustrating moments. In any case, this kind of reply at least puts my mind at ease.

As a suggestion though...

The system where "high dps means high priority" seems logical, but truth be told, I think it overcomplicates a simple matter. If shock troops or Pgrens were storming my sniper, I wouldn't be shooting the squad (unless I have multiple snipers or they have one guy left), I'd be trying to either: a) run away/retreat or b) take the shot, killing that other enemy sniper further away and pull off an "I take your queen, you take mine" kind of business.

11 Jul 2013, 16:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jul 2013, 13:45 PMUmbert

This happens to me all the time. Be funny if the squad member yells at you and is like "What are you doing! Why are we attacking a bunker, get your head out of your ass!"
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★