Login

russian armor

Ostheer in a bad spot ?

27 Mar 2016, 12:11 PM

Hey people,

Ostheer is one of my most played factions besides USF, but lately it seems that they really struggle against anything except USF.

What I noticed while playing as and against Ost :

-Ostheer usually manages to get a decent field presence in the early game, but this is it, it doesn't help them too much, they don't get significant benefits from a strong field presence, when playing Ost I often feel kinda stuck and at this point it gets easy to push Ost off the map, especially since it's hard to actually lead attacks at a certain point, Ost is forced to dig in but it will most certainly get overrun. Double Ost seems to be an exceptionally weak combo.

Main cause imo :

MP bleed and MP cost of everything is just way too high, Grenadiers are a decent unit and good Ost players can put them to good use but 30MP reinforce is just too high, also 7 pop for a 4 man squad.

Same goes for Pioneers, 200MP seems too much, Sappers are way better.

Ostheer is very depended on munitions, the average mine costs 50ammo, a minefield with warning signs (just why, I'm asking for years now) 60 ammo, it's too expensive imo.

Tech phases, the fuel cost seems okay but what doesn't seem right is the extreme MP cost again, every Tier costs additional 260MP, it slows Ost down extremely and prevents them from getting things that are actually important to stay in the game.

Further,T4 is problematic, it's expensive as heck, the Panther comes so damn late that it just lacks impact, it's a unit you may only actually get in huge team games, otherwise it's just not worth it, you're better off with Tigers.

The problem is that Ostheer struggles to stay in the game with only T3, the P4s value declines constantly, the Cromwell seems slightly better, the Comet outperforms the Panther,as the game goes on, Stugs are very good yes but just as support units, the question is, to support what, except your defense.

As a soviet I usually just get 3 cheap SU76 combined with Guards or Shocks and that's already enough to shut down Ostheer's complete unit arsenal on some maps.

To me it really seems like Ostheer is the weakest faction right now, while playing them it kinda feels like rolling a boulder up a hill, then that damn thing gets stuck and rolls all the way back and straight over your face.

Suggestions welcome, if you make it through this wall of text of course.

27 Mar 2016, 12:23 PM

Opposite. Ostheer is the only faction in right spot :foreveralone:
27 Mar 2016, 12:27 PM

Opposite. Ostheer is the only faction in right spot :foreveralone:

This tbh, just make Brummbar not shit and I'm playing funsteer for life
27 Mar 2016, 12:30 PM

This tbh, just make Brummbar not shit and I'm playing funsteer for life

Brummbar is far away from being shit.
Just maybe a bit overpriced ;)
27 Mar 2016, 12:36 PM

This.

Brummbar also needs a hold fire function. They also need to change UKF counterbarrage so that Brummbar attacks don't trigger the wrath of the UKF Emplacement Gods ;(((
27 Mar 2016, 12:40 PM

This.

Brummbar, Assgren scaling and Stormtrooper muni costs/vet are arguably the only problems in the faction right now.
27 Mar 2016, 12:49 PM

I would also suggest that after building t3, you no longer need to research bp2 to build t4.

This way, going t3>t4 is an actual possiblity without making rushing t4 easier.

Other then sniper being too good (more received accuracy plz) and what the other guys mentioned, ostheer is just perfect.
27 Mar 2016, 12:58 PM

Yea, fucking stupid Manpower requirement for tech ups.
27 Mar 2016, 12:59 PM

Ostheer has the short stick since the Brits arrived. There are two reasons for that:

1) The tank advantage has clearly shifted to the British:

Cromwell > Panzer IV,
Centaur > Ostwind,
Comet > Panther (considering general utility).

Staying in the game does not really reward you as Ostheer as it used to. Ostheer should be about good tanks (see design chart), yet you get mediocre stuff. The Tiger I isn´t a heavy tank any longer anyways.

2) Emplacements:

Ostheer has no non doctrinal counter that works versus emplacements. You can only count on the mortar ht and the 105mm and those still struggle. The LeIG is way better than the regular Ostheer mortar.

That´s why OKW is the first choice. Ironically they get good tanks while the design chart labels them an early game faction. So don´t be surprised OKW is the preferred faction.
27 Mar 2016, 13:22 PM

Ostheer are in a good place in that they have all the units they need and they don't need any significant design flaws. That said they're imo the hardest faction to play right now in 1v1. Now that grens and the p4 don't dominate the way they used to there is a greater requirement to use combined arms which is mostly a good thing. This gets very micro intensive (particularly the MG42 which is very easy to lose), and makes it hard to maintain map control on more spread-out maps. Brits are a big challenge, especially on smaller maps where the emplacements dominate the battlefield.

As I've said before their doctrines don't give them much help, although at least they have every kind of capability in their main tech tree. I'm not sure what if anything should be done with t4. It is certainly very expensive in a 1v1 match, and p3/stug can hold well enough until a tiger/tiger ace arrives. Lowering the tech cost a bit wouldn't be a bad thing for 1v1.

Another thing is the long time it takes to for Ostheer to get their vehicles repaired and back in the fight. Again this is one of those things that was alright back when it was just 2 factions but now not so much. I get the idea that it's meant to be port of the price you pay for having superior vehicles but I feel like it hasn't really been taking into account enough in recent balance decisions. On the other hand maybe it's OK because allies have a hard time actually killing tanks when they can just blitz away.
27 Mar 2016, 13:25 PM

Price directly affects shittyness of units, also its role to ostwind is what penals are atm to conscripts
27 Mar 2016, 13:32 PM

My main gripes with Ostheer are:

- 4 man grenadier squads suffer too much from RNG wipes from explosive weapons. It's much easier to get a nice core of vet3 main infantry with the other factions than it is with Ostheer. I think grens should be 5 man squads instead of 4 man squads, with appropriate stat adjustments to make the unit as combat effective as it is now.

- Brumbar is a bad unit. Its accuracy is sub-par and it has no other redeeming qualities. A panzerwerfer is a cheaper and better choice in 99% of gameplay scenarios.

- Prostruppen spam is slightly too effective.
27 Mar 2016, 13:45 PM

- Brumbar is a bad unit. Its accuracy is sub-par and it has no other redeeming qualities. A panzerwerfer is a cheaper and better choice in 99% of gameplay scenarios.

pathing seems to be wierd for the brummbar too, its so micro intensive to move that unit around in a proper way
27 Mar 2016, 13:48 PM

Ostheer snipers are not in bad spot. Their OPness can cover any weakness.
27 Mar 2016, 13:50 PM

Sniper needs slight camo and/or recieved accuracy nerfs, so infantry could actually kill it outside point blank range.

251 with MGs needs a slight DPS boost, it is impossible to gain vet without getting flamers which kills the whole point of vet (same goes for other half-tracks)

Brummbar needs a slight armor buff and cost reduction, Ostwind and PW are ALWAYS a superrior choise.

Aside from that, I think the faction is fine...
27 Mar 2016, 13:53 PM

Grenadiers a bit lame? Yeh, but osthern itself? I dont think so
27 Mar 2016, 15:56 PM

Can't agree.

If Im crippled with resources and I have some Pz 4 I will go werfer but if I have enough resources for Brummbar and I will always go for it. It's not hit or miss unit with XX cooldown.
It can deal really constant damage, it has huge AoE and what's most important it can stand against tanks.
27 Mar 2016, 16:51 PM

Price directly affects shittyness of units, also its role to ostwind is what penals are atm to conscripts

Ostwind doesn't really have 50% deflection damage, penetration enough to damage all meds reliably and it doesn't stun vehicles.

Its overpriced by ~30 fuel really, otherwise, stat-wise its really good.
27 Mar 2016, 17:12 PM

The way I see it Ost have all the tools needed at any point of the game. You can't really say they're lacking in anything in the same way brits are lacking indirect fire or USF lacks heavy tanks.

The problem is ost needs all of their stuff to work together and as a result any losses hurt ost more than other factions.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

France 9
South Africa 4
Germany 746
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %