Login

russian armor

How to counter advanced emplacements regiment as ostheer?

24 Mar 2016, 15:27 PM
Senior Referee Badge

ostheerostheerSo guys i had it a couple of games right now. I am playing as the ostheer against a brit with advanced emplacements regiment. He locks down two vp's with 2 bofors and a mortar. What can i do against it as the ostheer? Does anybody have a special strategy? ostheerostheer
24 Mar 2016, 17:01 PM

The absolute best counter to emplacement play is by using the Ostruppen doctrine and by following the following playbook:

- Step 1: Be aggressive early on. Apply pressure to likely bofor positions to delay/annoy him. Follow up with a fast 222 for extra map control. This step is obvious, you don't want to give him the breathing room to place bofors on your doorstep.

- Step 2: Do not bother countering emplacements early on with counter artillery or with early AT guns. Just make sure you have enough units to hold the big part of the map and then invest your manpower in a fuel cashe or even two. You won't break a mortar pit + bofor emplacement with a single AT gun and some light arty anyway, and he is not going to have any light armor on the field, so don't bother with these two units early on. Do not engage the bofors early on at all! It's a unit designed for holding ground against squishy targets and lightly armored vehicles. Squishy targets are all you have in the early game, so wait for something non-squishy! Deal with them in the lategame.

- Step 3: Do not bother with medium armor either, go straight for panther. If you feel your opponent somehow has decent fuel income, get a normally timed (not early!) a PAK40. The PAK40, a teller mine or two and your panzerfausts will hold a cromwell at bay long enough for your panther to arrive. The panther will pretty much dominate the cromwell and stand up to a comet if the enemy decides to go for one of those (cromwell is more likely though). Panthers will also help you with dealing with the emplacements much better than a Panzer 4 or Stug will. If you have Ostruppen or another doctrine with fuel drops, you can get a panther out even faster.

Step 4: Follow up with a panzerwerfer to deal with pesky 6 pounder guns. More panthers after that. He can't really do anything to counter this composition.

Step 5: Congratulations, you are now in the lategame and in a position to completely crush enemy emplacement play. Use the panther(s), panzerwerfer and pak40 to quickly do some damage against a bofors. When he pops brace, try to do some more damage but do not over commit. Ideally you want to take no damage on the panther so just fall back a bit if he brings any AT your way. Wait for 20 seconds after he used brace and rush back in to gain some vision, drop railway arty on the emplacement and watch it get wrecked.

The same playbook more or less also works with other doctrines. The overal guidelines are, in short:
- Early aggression, preferdably with a light vehicle.
- Do not engage emplacements, focus on holding most of the map and boost your economy with fuel cashes.
- Skip mediums, strike with a lategame army.
25 Mar 2016, 08:56 AM
Senior Referee Badge

This seems like a decent tactic, thx!
25 Mar 2016, 09:12 AM

Two mortars, but not on the same spot, just close to each other and HT between them. When the barrage is on the cooldown, use attack ground order to get an infinite firing time.
25 Mar 2016, 09:19 AM
Senior Referee Badge

Maybe a flamer halftrack on a sneaky place. Firing through buildings and that kind of things. Could this be a counter too?
25 Mar 2016, 11:34 AM

Yes. Flamer halftracks make short work of emplacements if you can find a way to target them without them being able to return fire on you.
25 Mar 2016, 11:35 AM

It gives some high damage to the emplacements, problem is indeed that mostly of the time you'll get hit by it. (Bofor)
25 Mar 2016, 17:00 PM

Last night I played against SturmTigerSage as Ost, and he was using Cancer Regiment. He won, but I found that Spearhead Doctrine could deal with the Bofors by calling in 2 Mortar Halftracks. 2 is enough to kill the Bofors even with the upgrade and constant brace/repairs, although it does take a very long time.

During that time, use your infantry to secure as much of the rest of the map as you can. They key is to keep an ear out for the Counter-Battery barrage firing, and move your Halftracks whenever you do. Halftracks take 2 direct hits to kill from the base arty, though, so it doesn't matter if you aren't exactly on top of it. Halftracks are much better for this regular mortars since they don't take so long to reposition. Mix in an
incendiary barrage occasionally to drive off/kill squads who are repairing.

I think this is the best way to cope once the Bofors is down. Really though, as others have said, the ideal solution is to rush Bofors locations and make sure the Brit player can't build the Bofors in an advantageous location to begin with. Most maps only have 1 spot which is really good.
25 Mar 2016, 17:58 PM
Senior Referee Badge

Last night I played against SturmTigerSage as Ost, and he was using Cancer Regiment. He won, but I found that Spearhead Doctrine could deal with the Bofors by calling in 2 Mortar Halftracks. 2 is enough to kill the Bofors even with the upgrade and constant brace/repairs, although it does take a very long time.

During that time, use your infantry to secure as much of the rest of the map as you can. They key is to keep an ear out for the Counter-Battery barrage firing, and move your Halftracks whenever you do. Halftracks take 2 direct hits to kill from the base arty, though, so it doesn't matter if you aren't exactly on top of it. Halftracks are much better for this regular mortars since they don't take so long to reposition. Mix in an
incendiary barrage occasionally to drive off/kill squads who are repairing.

I think this is the best way to cope once the Bofors is down. Really though, as others have said, the ideal solution is to rush Bofors locations and make sure the Brit player can't build the Bofors in an advantageous location to begin with. Most maps only have 1 spot which is really good.

:facepalm: Totally forgot about the mortar halftrack. This commander could be pretty good against emplacements!
25 Mar 2016, 18:57 PM

may i post a replay here?

it's vs sage on the most british map: semoisky

i used smoke bombs+double flamer to rush him

https://www.coh2.org/replay/51030/sage-tells-brits-on-semoisky
25 Mar 2016, 19:10 PM
Senior Referee Badge

may i post a replay here?

it's vs sage on the most british map: semoisky

i used smoke bombs+double flamer to rush him

https://www.coh2.org/replay/51030/sage-tells-brits-on-semoisky

Ofc the solution is: Smoke and Flank ;)
I am gonna try this one out too, thx! :D
26 Mar 2016, 13:13 PM

Seems broken to me that it's that involved or requires that amount of strategy to counter a single structure that is just click/build.... Little Micro Required...

There has to be a more viable counter, I mean try explaining that to a mid level player

Translation: Picking a Doctrine to counter a Non Docturnial Unit seems way too far because it then places you in a bad position when actually dealing with his doctrine. There should be a counter that require NO DOCTRINE.... So in retrospect if you were going mortar HT to counter a 120mm that's doable because 120mm is a doctrine based unit, however when countering a simple bofor, I have to go a specific doctrine? that seems too far fetched to me.
26 Mar 2016, 14:41 PM
Senior Referee Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Mar 2016, 13:13 PMBryant
Seems broken to me that it's that involved or requires that amount of strategy to counter a single structure that is just click/build.... Little Micro Required...

There has to be a more viable counter, I mean try explaining that to a mid level player

Translation: Picking a Doctrine to counter a Non Docturnial Unit seems way too far because it then places you in a bad position when actually dealing with his doctrine. There should be a counter that require NO DOCTRINE.... So in retrospect if you were going mortar HT to counter a 120mm that's doable because 120mm is a doctrine based unit, however when countering a simple bofor, I have to go a specific doctrine? that seems too far fetched to me.

"i used smoke bombs+double flamer to rush him"
"Yes. Flamer halftracks make short work of emplacements if you can find a way to target them without them being able to return fire on you."
There you go, your non doctrine counter abilities :)
26 Mar 2016, 16:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Mar 2016, 13:13 PMBryant

The flip side is that you can not micro your emplacements to get more out of them. If you build emplacements and the enemy knows hoe to counter emplacement play, then that's it... you are countered and you lose the game.
26 Mar 2016, 17:40 PM

emplacements are trash, annoying at best. It's just a matter of coordination to take them down.

normally I go for 2 ATs+rockets. rockets to force brace, then move AT into position and when brace ends you just fire away.

Spotting scopes are great to snipe them away.
26 Mar 2016, 18:01 PM

Another idea is to use the Stuka AT strafe from the CAS commander:
- You are guaranteed to wipe forward assemblies in one pass
- You might be able to wipe an unupgraded & unbraced mortar pit in one strafe if you get lucky

Sadly, Bofors cannons seem unable to down the AT strafe. Thus you will not be able to get that kamekaze skillplane bonus on top of that :(

Obviously, the CAS commander may not be attractive (or even viable) for 1v1's anymore. However, with a teammate carrying you, you can use the commander to nullify Advanced Forward Assemblies (which is half of the part of what makes this commander so strong).

(LeFH is, of course, very reliable too, on maps where you can place it out of counter-barrage range)
26 Mar 2016, 18:27 PM

"you can use the commander to nullify Advanced Forward Assemblies (which is half of the part of what makes this commander so strong)."

Which are basically bullshit anyway. Wouldn't affect 1v1 as no sod builds them. Seems like too much of a duplicate to the Royal Engineer commander's stand fast anyway.

If this commander really is that strong in 2v2 up then the forward assembly would be the place to cut.

Just out of interest why doesn't the forward assembly heal? It has the heal icon but doesn't seem to do jack.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★