Login

russian armor

M-42 vs other light AT.

16 Mar 2016, 14:23 PM

look man i know very well that i am a casual player and that you have obviously sunk way more time into this game than i ever have or will, but garrisoning troops isn't solely a utility ability it allows your troops to fight with more protection.

It doesn't mean jack if you can live longer if you still can't kill a thing.

Vet3 con buff is best example here. They are more durable, but they are still just vet feeders and cappers.

You'll simply have combat crippled squad on field longer while you could use a proper infantry or ATG for not really much bigger cost, who actually does the job its meant to do.

There is no redeeming factor for M-42. It would still be underpowered even at 160-120 menpower as it would still eat your pop cap rapidly without giving much in return.

This is the case of utterly crappy main stats in relation to its cost, not any utility.
16 Mar 2016, 14:39 PM

Let's put it this way.

5 M-42 need around 40seconds to kill Tiger frontally.
3 Guards need around 30seconds to kill Tiger frontally

Max range of course.
16 Mar 2016, 14:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2016, 14:23 PMKatitof

It doesn't mean jack if you can live longer if you still can't kill a thing.

Vet3 con buff is best example here. They are more durable, but they are still just vet feeders and cappers.

You'll simply have combat crippled squad on field longer while you could use a proper infantry or ATG for not really much bigger cost, who actually does the job its meant to do.

There is no redeeming factor for M-42. It would still be underpowered even at 160-120 menpower as it would still eat your pop cap rapidly without giving much in return.

This is the case of utterly crappy main stats in relation to its cost, not any utility.

that is true, although i don't play sovjets much these days but i will freely admit they really lack scaling especially with their infantry. I never understood why okw gets five star vet for troops fighting on the eastern front but soviets don't.

maybe an increased rate of fire would help the M-42 find a viable role, might even give it some synergy when paired with a harder hitting zis.
16 Mar 2016, 14:52 PM

Let's put it this way.

5 M-42 need around 40seconds to kill Tiger frontally.
3 Guards need around 30seconds to kill Tiger frontally

Max range of course.

Why on earth would this matter?

There is 1 reason why you would ever get a M42 light AT gun.
This is when you are going for a T1 -> T3 rush build and need some light AT support to counter Flak AA halftracks, 222s, 250/251 halftracks or Luchs. If you encouter these units, you can call in the M42 for a very low price and continue the assault and the T3 rush without getting pushed off the map. If you choose to go for T2 and ZIS3 instead, you have to pull back your engies, get T2 up, build a ZIS and wait for it too arrive. This process takes a lot of time and manpower and you will lose map control in the process. Your plan to rush T3 will also be off the table.

This is the M42s niche, and it fills it very well. No need to change what is not broken.
16 Mar 2016, 14:57 PM

Why on earth would this matter?

There is 1 reason why you would ever get a M42 light AT gun.
This is when you are going for a T1 -> T3 rush build and need some light AT support to counter Flak AA halftracks, 222s, 250/251 halftracks or Luchs. If you encouter these units, you can call in the M42 for a very low price and continue the assault and the T3 rush without getting pushed off the map. If you choose to go for T2 and ZIS3 instead, you have to pull back your engies, get T2 up, build a ZIS and wait for it too arrive. This process takes a lot of time and manpower and you will lose map control in the process. Your plan to rush T3 will also be off the table.

This is the M42s niche, and it fills it very well. No need to change what is not broken.

And for what purpose I should go for M42 if there are way better doctrines with Guards as light AT?

Locking myself behind defensive or urban doctrine just to go for T1->T3 with M42 if I can do the same thing with better doctrines with Guards isnt a good point.

16 Mar 2016, 14:57 PM

change what is not broken.

:snfQuinn:
16 Mar 2016, 15:16 PM

And for what purpose I should go for M42 if there are way better doctrines with Guards as light AT?

Locking myself behind defensive or urban doctrine just to go for T1->T3 with M42 if I do the same thing with better doctrines with Guards isnt a good point.

You don't pick a doctrine just for M42 light AT guns. That would be silly.

You pick Defensive doctrine because it is awesome and has excellent synergy (better than any other doctrine I in my opinion) with a sniper opening.
You pick Urban defence if you want to go for a FHQ.
16 Mar 2016, 15:17 PM

:snfQuinn:

I don't know what you mean by that.
16 Mar 2016, 15:23 PM

If there was side armour MAYBE the m42 would be halfway useful as it is Its trash. No point in ever EVER getting. Guards are better, more mobile, can fight infantry can support against armour it cant solo and best of all scale. M42 should go the way of irregulars... Be replaced by at partisans!
16 Mar 2016, 15:24 PM

You pick Defensive doctrine because it is awesome and has excellent synergy (better than any other doctrine I in my opinion) with a sniper opening.

Again, Guards can do everyting (and even way more) than M-42, plus there are way better doctrines with Guards than defensive tactics.

It's trying to find good reason to go for M42 no matter what. In the same way I could justify going for LMG Grens in HT or Valentine or any other useless unit.

They will do their job if I call them but why would I do that if I can get unit which will do this job a way better? It's like getting Pios to fight when you can get PzGrens.
16 Mar 2016, 15:26 PM

I don't know what you mean by that.

It's simple, M-42 is utterly broken and has the soviet symptom of being total garbage :snfQuinn:
16 Mar 2016, 15:35 PM

What's more, it loses utility after 10-13mins.

It's like Bren Carrier. It's good in early game but later all it does is eating your pop cap/up keep.
16 Mar 2016, 15:43 PM

Again, Guards can do everyting (and even way more) than M-42, plus there are way better doctrines with Guards than defensive tactics.

It's trying to find good reason to go for M42 no matter what. In the same way I could justify going for LMG Grens in HT or Valentine or any other useless unit.

They will do their job if I call them but why would I do that if I can get unit which will do this job a way better? It's like getting Pios to fight when you can get PzGrens.

A guard squad is quite a lot more expensive than a M42 light AT gun and, unless a map has a lot of buildings, will perform worse than a M42 light AT gun against light vehicles.

There also might be some doctrines with Guards that are overall better than Defensive tactics, but none of them synergize as well with a T1 consripts+sniper opening as defensive tactics. There is also the aspect of predictability, which is important in RTS games. If a lot of players go for meta commander X, then opponents will know what is coming and plan accordingly. You can catch a lot of people by surprise when going for non-standard play styles.
16 Mar 2016, 16:23 PM

Or you can build T2 and have all of that stuff cheaper, more cost effective and for less pop cap.
If you feel like using incendiary barrage, there is crapload of better docs, no one builds tank traps.

I want to love defensive doctrine, but M-42 performance and 120mm pop cap make me avoid it.
16 Mar 2016, 16:26 PM

They should just slightly increase the damage and rate of fire. Not too much, otherwise it'll start over performing it's purpose.
16 Mar 2016, 16:43 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2016, 16:23 PMKatitof

Or you can build T2 and have all of that stuff cheaper, more cost effective and for less pop cap.
If you feel like using incendiary barrage, there is crapload of better docs, no one builds tank traps.

I want to love defensive doctrine, but M-42 performance and 120mm pop cap make me avoid it.

As explained earlier, if you go for T2 and ZIS after a T1 sniper start, you give away map control and lose the opportunity to go for a T3 rush.

120mm popcap is, as far as I know, not intended. Don't really see why a mortar bug would be a reason to buff an AT gun.
16 Mar 2016, 16:54 PM

I dont see any reason why anyone whould go for 120mm in first place :foreveralone:

You can as well go for Guards and T3 and a bit later, if you won't steal raketen/pak techdown for T2.

M42 is useful for like what? 7mins? And then it;s going to eat your popcap while doctrine won't give you anything special.

I agree it can be useful, once in 2v2 when I used it, I won agasint top 100 axis team but it does not change the fact that there are better strats/options.
16 Mar 2016, 17:15 PM

It does not do it worse. To damage or kill a light vehicle with a machine gun you need to bait it in. You can't activate AP round while you are moving and enemies have plenty of time to dodge the attack if you are using the MG offensively. Your AP round will then go on cooldown and you will have to fall back.

I meant in the controlled testing scenario. Yeah you need to bait it, but the mg42 also happens to be the best mg in the game, whilst possessing stronger (albeit, more situational) AT.

And a luchs/scout car will have no problem circling a m42, and it'll be able to take multiple shots from it without really needing to worry. The 42 sucks, there's no reason to get one, you might as well go guards and get a squad that doubles as good AI and light AT (heeyyy, like the mg42...)
16 Mar 2016, 17:32 PM

I meant in the controlled testing scenario. Yeah you need to bait it, but the mg42 also happens to be the best mg in the game, whilst possessing stronger (albeit, more situational) AT.

And a luchs/scout car will have no problem circling a m42, and it'll be able to take multiple shots from it without really needing to worry. The 42 sucks, there's no reason to get one, you might as well go guards and get a squad that doubles as good AI and light AT (heeyyy, like the mg42...)

The M42 has range advantage.

You can fire at light vehicles from behind a screen of AT nade wielding conscripts with the M42 without exposing the unit to enemy fire. A guard squad has to be directly on the front-line to fight, vulnerable to repressive- or focus fire from the enemy. This may force an early retreat of your AT unit, this collapsing your front line. The M42 does not have this limitation because it has range.
16 Mar 2016, 17:32 PM

I agree it can be useful, once in 2v2 when I used it, I won agasint top 100 axis team but it does not change the fact that there are better strats/options.

2v2 is a completely different game from 1v1.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★