Login

russian armor

Units should not override specified target with auto-engage

Units should continue to engage target specified before a move command is issued after said move command is issued.
Option Distribution Votes
70%
30%
Total votes: 10
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
29 Jan 2016, 22:02 PM

Units should continue to engage target specified before, say, a move command is issued after said move command is issued.

Such a function would give us more control over our units and allow us to direct our fire with all units as it best pleases us.
29 Jan 2016, 22:03 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I'm pretty sure this already happens.
29 Jan 2016, 22:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jan 2016, 22:03 PMTobis
I'm pretty sure this already happens.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't. :P
29 Jan 2016, 22:07 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jan 2016, 22:03 PMJaedrik

I'm pretty sure it doesn't. :P

Can you give an example or something? I know that when I tell a tank to shoot a target it wont switch targets until it's dead, out of range, or you tell it to shoot something else.
29 Jan 2016, 22:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jan 2016, 22:07 PMTobis

Can you give an example or something? I know that when I tell a tank to shoot a target it wont switch targets until it's dead, out of range, or you tell it to shoot something else.

Actually, that very same example, except he does switch targets. One of us must be mistaken. Probably me about the range, then? But I've seen it happen even when the other was clearly in range.
29 Jan 2016, 22:17 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Okay I tested it. If you have target priority vehicle on and tell the tank to attack infantry, the next order will cancel the attack infantry and it will focus on tanks. If you turn prioritize vehicle off this wont happen.

I assume this is what you meant?
29 Jan 2016, 22:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jan 2016, 22:17 PMTobis
Okay I tested it. If you have target priority vehicle on and tell the tank to attack infantry, the next order will cancel the attack infantry and it will focus on tanks. If you turn prioritize vehicle off this wont happen.

That's correct, but that's besides the point. What if, say, I want my infantrymen to pursue or position themselves favorably against a retreating squad that I have a chance to wipe, and they auto-target a squad next to them I didn't want them to?

Edit: Oh, I see what you're saying. No, I didn't mean that at all.
29 Jan 2016, 22:25 PM

Sure, to us, it'd be worth it. Not sure Relic would see it our way though.
29 Jan 2016, 22:34 PM

@Tobis
I tested (again) with infantrymen, and they behaved how I described. Specifically, I made everyone invincible, turned off the AI, put one con in engagement range of two volks, and the volks switched to whichever target was nearest. I then repeated the test with one neutral volks, where I commanded the cons to fire on the neutral volks (which they did) until I moved them, where they started firing on the enemy volks instead.
Thank you, regardless, for putting me to the test to more rigorously confirm what I thought I already knew from playing in automatch / custom games.
30 Jan 2016, 01:04 AM

Maybe I'm not understanding the issue correctly, but if you order a unit to attack (that is, actually right click) a target, they will keep that target even if you move the unit afterwards. That includes focusing retreating squads, and applies to both infantry and vehicles. I am absolutely certain of it, this behavior was introduced a bunch of patches ago.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★