Login

russian armor

240mm USF needs urgent rework

21 Sep 2015, 01:33 AM

Just watched the Sprice vs Symbiosis game. While the latter relied rather heavily on cheese, it was an epic match and theyre both along the best of the coh2 playerbase. (well played, both of you!)

However, the match really showed how RNG based the 240mm Armor Company arty is. Calling it in on Syms concentration of troops near the south VP, the first shell instead landed 25 meters away, directly on top of Prices troops taking the VP. The ensuing barrage did no damage to Syms forces, cost Price the VP, and killed a huge part of his army. Whether or not this decided the series is up to the observer.

The design of the off-map is truly the anti-thesis of competitive play, and imo what happened in that match is the only example required to prove this.

IMO it should be reworked similar to UKF arty that automatically targets enemy vehicles only, or something that matches armor company thematically without overbuffing it.
21 Sep 2015, 01:42 AM

Weighted artillery that avoids / decrease % to hit near previous shell landing locations.
21 Sep 2015, 01:45 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Price knew the risks and took the chance- the dead zone is clearly marked by the dashed circle. Railway arty would've worked the same in a similar way.
21 Sep 2015, 01:51 AM

Price knew the risks and took the chance- the dead zone is clearly marked by the dashed circle. Railway arty would've worked the same way.

I'm not disputing the fact that he knew how it worked-I'm suggesting that any offmaps revolving that much around RNG to instantly kill units is really bad design. (Same goes for RA)
21 Sep 2015, 01:59 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Price knew the risks and took the chance- the dead zone is clearly marked by the dashed circle. Railway arty would've worked the same way.

Isn't RA pinpoint on the first shot, though?
21 Sep 2015, 02:04 AM

no it wouldn't. The firsts hit always lands almost dead center
21 Sep 2015, 02:06 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Sep 2015, 01:59 AMVuther

Isn't RA pinpoint on the first shot, though?

Yep, but the subsequent ones scatter widely in a radius like 240mm. First shot takes 10 seconds to arrive from activation, making it pretty much only area denial since the delay is so long.

240mm on the other hand, the first shot arrives in 6 seconds anywhere in the radius. On second thoughts the Beefsurge probably has a point- slowing arrival of the first shot and making that shot pinpoint accurate would be interesting to test, so at the very least it forces guaranteed movement (symbiosis didn't move his pak/MG at all, which was the right choice on his part).
21 Sep 2015, 02:53 AM
Donator 11

They ain't called RNG Bombs for nothin!

On a serious note. The only way this would work is if you made it a railway arty clone and made the first shell fall at 10 seconds. This would make it less viable against enemy units but more so against OKW trucks and stuff.
21 Sep 2015, 02:55 AM

They ain't called RNG Bombs for nothin!

On a serious note. The only way this would work is if you made it a railway arty clone and made the first shell fall at 10 seconds. This would make it less viable against enemy units but more so against OKW trucks and stuff.

This would be preferable.

In terms of authenticity the Amis having the only totally RNG based off-map also makes no sense, because the Amis were known for pinpoint laser arty irl.

Y relic y
21 Sep 2015, 03:13 AM
Donator 11

In terms of authenticity the Amis having the only totally RNG based off-map also makes no sense, because the Amis were known for pinpoint laser arty irl.

Y relic y

Haha, on a personal note, I don't want to see RNG bombs go. I love them too much.
21 Sep 2015, 03:18 AM

Haha, on a personal note, I don't want to see RNG bombs go. I love them too much.

Every bomb tells a story
21 Sep 2015, 03:57 AM

Agreed this is more of a throw away munitions ability than something tactical

it would be cool if they made it into something like the manticore in DOW 2 where you pinpoint strikes, with obviously less power
21 Sep 2015, 04:11 AM

Where exactly did price click on? The shells were consistently falling on the south side of the vp. Either Price misclick in the heat of the moment or the scatter stats had a mistake.
21 Sep 2015, 04:15 AM

Where exactly did price click on? The shells were consistently falling on the south side of the vp. Either Price misclick in the heat of the moment or the scatter stats had a mistake.

The flares were dropped on the opening in the bocage, north east of the southernmost VP; directly on top of Symbd Pak guns and MG.
21 Sep 2015, 04:18 AM

Make it so that it seeks targets, but places a visible marker on the ground where the shell is aiming. First shell will go where you clicked, second will seek enemy units, third seek buildings or units, fourth will seek units again, to keep it from repeatedly targeting OKW Trucks. If there are no targets in the search area, then it will scatter but still have the ui warning.
21 Sep 2015, 04:19 AM
Developer Relic Badge

Make it a railway clone and call it a day? First shell lands where you want it, the other shells go wherever they please.

I still like the idea of this thing being area denial through the sheer power of the shells and the risk of staying in the target zone could be death.
21 Sep 2015, 06:10 AM

Historically, wasn't artillery RNG anyway? And air power for that matter
21 Sep 2015, 06:17 AM
Donator 11

I have done the same with the Armor Company commander's howitzer barrage. It's extremely inaccurate. You can target the enemy that stands in front of you, and then the barrage lands on your own troops. That's why I don't like the commander. The other USF commanders' barrages are more accurate.
21 Sep 2015, 07:03 AM

Y relic y

not to mention air superiority but ironically that honor is given to the axis forces which is depressing as they were a depleted force like the brits
21 Sep 2015, 17:19 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Yep, but the subsequent ones scatter widely in a radius like 240mm.

The railway has a smaller radius (i might be wrong but that's my impression comparing both).
It should be:
Make it a railway clone and call it a day? First shell lands where you want it, the other shells go wherever they please.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★