Login

russian armor

MG42 vs Maxim

26 Aug 2015, 21:37 PM

I know MG-42 and Maxim have been buffed recently but when you compare the performance of these HMG on action I have to admit MG42 looks rather shy. Maxim is almost an instant pin and MG42 will keep shooting and shooting. You cannot rifle made Maxim up front anymore while you can still Molotov MG42 charging through its arc. From what I observed Maxim doesn't have problems suppressing 2 squads anymore.
In my opinion MG42 its due a small buff as right now it perform worse of these two and reall struggles in its designed role. Even with a spotting unit nearby.

Comments?
26 Aug 2015, 21:42 PM

What the garden man. HMG42 does lot more damage, has insane AoE suppression vets like crazy and destroys everything with incendiary rounds.

HMG42 need healthy damage nerf.
26 Aug 2015, 21:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Aug 2015, 21:42 PMJadame!
What the garden man. HMG42 does lot more damage, has insane AoE suppression vets like crazy and destroys everything with incendiary rounds.

HMG42 need healthy damage nerf.

I'm not denying that. Problem is quite often you're not able to utilize it as you are being over run by horde of Cons, molotoved and forced to retreat.
Also MG DPS and suppression depends on the number of opponents in its arc. If your enemy doesn't blob them the values are much smaller.
26 Aug 2015, 21:51 PM

#protip, don't leave your MG-42 alone
26 Aug 2015, 21:57 PM

Unless he charges cons from different sides of fire arc simultaneously they probably would be suppressed to death.

HMGs should not magically counter all infantry in screen. If he overruns you you need use your HMG42 differently/support it better/spot for it/work on its positioning.

My only problem with HMG42 is when it runs out of bullets before even landing first burst and starts to reload in front of enemy blob.
26 Aug 2015, 22:02 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Aug 2015, 21:57 PMJadame!
Unless he charges cons from different sides of fire arc simultaneously they probably would be suppressed to death.

HMGs should not magically counter all infantry in screen. If he overruns you you need use your HMG42 differently/support it better/spot for it/work on its positioning.

My only problem with HMG42 is when it runs out of bullets before even landing first burst and starts to reload in front of enemy blob.

This, I would really like all units to reload when out of combat. For instance, if an ostwind fires 4 shots and then sits out of battle, it shouldn't fire one shot then reload the next time it attacks.
26 Aug 2015, 22:04 PM

This, I would really like all units to reload when out of combat. For instance, if an ostwind fires 4 shots and then sits out of battle, it shouldn't fire one shot then reload the next time it attacks.

I've been begging for this since WFA alpha.
27 Aug 2015, 04:49 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Aug 2015, 21:57 PMJadame!

but the maxim insta pins, does more damage and kills other MG crews if in building to building fight long before MG42 has a chance, not to mention the quick setup time
27 Aug 2015, 06:34 AM
Senior Editor Badge

The title here is real confusing.

MG42 vs. Maxim, Maxim wins every time in equal cover at equal set up time.

That's just how it is for some reason. That's how it has been.

Against infantry like OP is talking about, I'd recommend getting two MGs.

Or you can put an MG bunker on a flank.

Hell, in the late game if your squad preservation is going well, you can buy another MG42 then. Have three.
The more the merrier, am I right?

S-mines are also an option. A squad of Pgrens on a flank can help. MG42 is better than Maxim in almost every respect though. Maybe in a building the Maxim is better because it has the same firing arc as the MG42.

Anyway. Get more practice with MG42s. It helps a ton.
27 Aug 2015, 06:54 AM

Don't just look at the damage and suppression.
Have you noticed that the MG42 has an ark about three times the Maxim's?
Of course the Maxim should be better in a face to face duel.
27 Aug 2015, 08:08 AM

I still click on every squad (which are close to each other ofc) which need to suppress with maxim. IDK is it just an old habit or whatever and I need just to wait and it will pin...
27 Aug 2015, 08:59 AM

@OP no MG42 is fine as is. Its always had a bigger AoE suppression in exchange for lower damage, compared to Maxim.
27 Aug 2015, 09:23 AM

Just to clarify its not about using it right here. I am well aware when my HMGs were out of position. I don't have problems with that. I'm not asking for MG42 to become this uber infantry counter once was.

It's just I noticed recently how effective Maxim is in comparison. Soviets don't need HMG soo strong while OH do. I always thought MG42 should be the best HMG in the game and that's not the case.
Maxim in a building is a different story. If it wasn't for M5 we would have seen more Maxim spam.
27 Aug 2015, 09:25 AM

Things get even more fun with dual 5% suppresion bulletin for the maxims :snfPeter:
(eagerly waiting for the third to drop >.>)

But personally i don't see the mg42 as weak atm since it's damage to garrisons is rather insane and it has no trouble stopping multiple squads.
Park it in an WFA house and watch your enemies cry.
aaa
27 Aug 2015, 10:31 AM

42 supresses infinite number of untits in its enormous arc and it has anti vehicle rounds. Unlike maxim that can only supress 1 unit and dont have any useful addinional abilities.
42 is OP.
27 Aug 2015, 10:49 AM

Just to clarify its not about using it right here. I am well aware when my HMGs were out of position. I don't have problems with that. I'm not asking for MG42 to become this uber infantry counter once was.

It's just I noticed recently how effective Maxim is in comparison. Soviets don't need HMG soo strong while OH do. I always thought MG42 should be the best HMG in the game and that's not the case.
Maxim in a building is a different story. If it wasn't for M5 we would have seen more Maxim spam.

Nothing wrong with the mg42 or the maxim. the mg42 is still the better force multiplier. the only problem with the maxim is that the okw has no real way of dealing with (especially in buildings) them right now while the ost do.
27 Aug 2015, 10:51 AM
Donator 11

You have to rethink your approach on how to use those two.

The 42 is more of a defensive supression support, with a wide arc and good AoE supression.
The Maxim is more of a mobile agression unit, which can be used alone (a-move ftw), or in conjunction with other units to get the upper hand in engagements.
Both have similar veterancy, with the major difference in their ability. 42 can go nuts with incendiary rounds, and Maxim becomes even more mobile due sprint.
- in a nutshell.

A second 42 covering the front one is usually a good idea. You want infantry around to clean up supressed units, spot, and flank protection. Also wire helps a lot in bottlenecking.

Nevertheless, both Maxim and 42 want to be repositioned once in a while. Just putting the buzzsaw somewhere won't magically deny all infantry attacks.
27 Aug 2015, 11:00 AM
Donator 22

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Aug 2015, 10:51 AMkamk

You have to rethink your approach on how to use those two.

The 42 is more of a defensive supression support, with a wide arc and good AoE supression.
The Maxim is more of a mobile agression unit, which can be used alone (a-move ftw), or in conjunction with other units to get the upper hand in engagements.
Both have similar veterancy, with the major difference in their ability. 42 can go nuts with incendiary rounds, and Maxim becomes even more mobile due sprint.
- in a nutshell.

A second 42 covering the front one is usually a good idea. You want infantry around to clean up supressed units, spot, and flank protection. Also wire helps a lot in bottlenecking.

Nevertheless, both Maxim and 42 want to be repositioned once in a while. Just putting the buzzsaw somewhere won't magically deny all infantry attacks.

+1
IMO they are both in a good spot right now. Never change a running System :sibHyena:
27 Aug 2015, 11:35 AM

the mg42 is performing really, really well yet its not enough because you still find yourself flanked. what do you expect? a single mg42 cant win the game for you.
27 Aug 2015, 12:39 PM

OZ, 10/10. Nice bait. No one even noticed. GJ!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★