Login

russian armor

Why No Maxim Buff?

PAGES (9)down
28 Jun 2015, 08:35 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

What about a price decrease in the Maxim to 210?

Then Maxims will be spammed when used since that's what one tends to do with cheap combat units.

So even if that made it balanced, I have my doubts people that lost to it would feel it acceptable. ;)
28 Jun 2015, 08:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jun 2015, 14:49 PMVuther

That's every HMG crew. None are automatically wiped with support/retreating the moment someone goes into them.

Automatically wiped, no. But soviet weapon crews all have increased survivability due to larger squad sizes. Sov and USF have more counters, more CQ units and more AI vehicles than Ost and to a lesser extent OKW. Axis Hmg have a higher performance but there are more counters and they are more at risk of being wiped.

I have no issue if the suppression rate within the cone is increased or if the damage is increased but increasing the cone size would not only make it OP but all but usher in a new era of maxim spam which i don't think would help the game.

In regard to it being needed, well that really depends on the game mode and the opponent. In 1v1 I would say no as soviets already have numerous antiblob and anti inf units.
28 Jun 2015, 08:42 AM

Despite the maxim being trash I most of the time use a build with two early maxims, up to a top 10 2v2 AT level. They usually get around 7 kills if they don't get granade oneshotted/too stupid to retreat-wiped.

But I have never lost a single game where I captured an MG42. The last one got 19 kills plus a vehicle. I can justifiably say that the MG42 is worth two to three maxims, for the same price. For reasons I cannot tell. And need no micro at all.

To be honest I think anybody complaining about MG42 being too weak before the patch has L2P issues. Often in streams I see people giving their MGs careless orders/sending into unknown territory - While precise MG setup position and support (also manual targeting) is extremely important. Learn to play with the maxim and the MG42 will be divine.
aaa
28 Jun 2015, 22:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jun 2015, 04:58 AMPorygon

Wut?

You celerating the buff of germs now. But why trying piss to the face.
30 Jun 2015, 15:14 PM

I can justifiably say that the MG42 is worth two to three maxims, for the same price. For reasons I cannot tell. And need no micro at all.

Ok don't call us, we'll call you.
30 Jun 2015, 18:44 PM

Ok don't call us, we'll call you.

Wut?
30 Jun 2015, 18:56 PM

I feel the only change I personally would like to see on the maxim is a change in how they setup, instead of clumping up, if they were spread out a little more that would be the perfect way to balance them instead of buffing them again and having Maxim spam 2.0 come back into the fray.
30 Jun 2015, 21:56 PM

Relic stream confirmed that the maxim is bugged and didn't receive the incremental changes it was supposed to. Meaning it will get it's incremental accuracy and search modifiers buffed next hotfix.

Tonight maybe? Hopefully.

Wut?

We get that other HMGs are better. No need to go overboard.
1 Jul 2015, 06:58 AM

As narrow as the cone is with the lack of aoe suppression, they'd might as well make the maxim like 1919 rifles.

Remove the cone limitation entirely, so it's only set up or not with 360 degree arc of fire. When setup it supresses. Buff damage to satisfaction and make it expensive or be a conscript upgrade. Season to taste.

It barely works as an HMG anyways, might as well drop the facade.

And it's unique too. Look Relic, asymmetry! Your favorite!
1 Jul 2015, 08:23 AM

Permanently Banned
As narrow as the cone is with the lack of aoe suppression, they'd might as well make the maxim like 1919 rifles.

Remove the cone limitation entirely, so it's only set up or not with 360 degree arc of fire. When setup it supresses. Buff damage to satisfaction and make it expensive or be a conscript upgrade. Season to taste.

It barely works as an HMG anyways, might as well drop the facade.

And it's unique too. Look Relic, asymmetry! Your favorite!

LOL
1 Jul 2015, 08:32 AM

Maxims dont need a buff...

Since their setup and unpack time basically means theyre an LMG squad with suppression...

The only thing that needs changing with maxim is the squad clumping.
1 Jul 2015, 09:26 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jul 2015, 08:32 AMCorsin
Maxims dont need a buff...

Since their setup and unpack time basically means theyre an LMG squad with suppression...

The only thing that needs changing with maxim is the squad clumping.

Also let's add setup/pack time and limited arc of fire to LMG42 cuz basically it HMG without suppression.
1 Jul 2015, 10:19 AM

Also let's add setup/pack time and limited arc of fire to LMG42 cuz basically it HMG without suppression.

I think you're missing the point of a HMG....
1 Jul 2015, 10:19 AM

You're joking right, the only point of HMGs is suppression
1 Jul 2015, 10:52 AM
Donator 33

Bring back 16dmg maxims from the BETA so they could kill blobs if it cant stop them :)
1 Jul 2015, 10:59 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jul 2015, 10:19 AMCorsin

No, you are missing the point of an HMG by suggesting that the maxim is fine because it is basically and LMG with supression.

The point of an HMG is to suppress blobs.
The maxim is an HMG.
The maxim does not suppress blobs.
Ergo, the maxim is not fine.

The pack up speed and deploy speed are already accounted for by the maxims tiny arch. You have to pack up and re-direct a lot more often with the maxim than you do with an HMG42. 1 is easier to flank but can set up faster. 1 is harder to flank but sets up slower.
1 Jul 2015, 11:07 AM
Donator 11

... You have to pack up and re-direct a lot more often with the maxim than you do with an HMG42. 1 is easier to flank but can set up faster. 1 is harder to flank but sets up slower.

Keep in mind that the fast setup time also allows you to a-move the Maxim, and use it in a more agressive manner.
At the same time flanking an HMG42 is more deadly, same goes for nading it, a Maxim will still mostly get out... except it's crew decides to bunch up again :(

So yeah, i kinda have to agree with VonIvan here. If the crew wouldn't bunch up all the time, it could certainly make more use of it's better durability.
1 Jul 2015, 11:07 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jul 2015, 10:19 AMCorsin

Being LMG with suppression (by your words)? I think someone else is missing the point.
1 Jul 2015, 11:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jul 2015, 11:07 AMkamk

Keep in mind that the fast setup time also allows you to a-move the Maxim, and use it in a more agressive manner.
At the same time flanking an HMG42 is more deadly, same goes for nading it, a Maxim will still mostly get out... except it's crew decides to bunch up again :(

So yeah, i kinda have to agree with VonIvan here. If the crew wouldn't bunch up all the time, it could certainly make more use of it's better durability.

While it is better at attacking, it is also less good at defending bigger areas. You have to do a lot more guessing as to where the enemy will come from if you use it to say, defend your cut off on Road to Karkov. The offensive capabilities of the maxim already don't come for free.

And when it comes to grenades, all HMGs have it tough. While the maxim may be slightly better at dodging grenades if you pick up early enough (i.e. before it is thrown) it also already suffers from the drawback that the HMG gets dropped if the gunner is killed, forcing the whole squad to stop their retreat and pick the gun back up. So while the other members may have fled a bit more, the slower turning maxim gunner may get killed, allowing you to do more damage to it and potentially wipe the squad. Other HMGs don't have this, if the gunner is killed on retreat, the gun just magically teleports to the next guy; making it easier for the squad to escape compared to the maxim.

The maxim has some pros en cons that already weigh up to the pros and cons of other HMGs, the only difference is that the maxim does not do the 1 job it is supposed to do unlike other HMGs.
1 Jul 2015, 11:50 AM

The maxim has some pros en cons that already weigh up to the pros and cons of other HMGs, the only difference is that the maxim does not do the 1 job it is supposed to do unlike other HMGs.

With exception of DSHK which does not do the 2 jobs it is supposed to do:
- stop blobs
- deal high damage to light vehicles using special ability
PAGES (9)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 26
Germany 851
unknown 4

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias