Login

russian armor

IL-2 Sturmovik strafe

18 May 2015, 10:10 AM

What is the purpose of this strafe? Is it solely to pin infantry? Does it do any damage to vehicles at all? I was hoping it kinda dealt some damage to everything and used it on tanks but couldn't see if they were damaged since fog of war was in the way. It does say something like "will strafe targets with its powerful 23mil cannon". Define powerful I guess.
18 May 2015, 10:45 AM

18 May 2015, 12:09 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Yeah... It used to simply delete multiple squads no matter what, even if you insta retreated, got into a building, anything.
If it was called in your VETERAN shit was GOING to die whether you liked it or not. Eve tanks took a ton of damage from it.

So the nerfed POS you're looking at now is from the aftermath of what it once was, that video is pretty accurate
18 May 2015, 12:17 PM

This:

Too bad its unable to do that since well over a year. Currently its unable to decrew HMG team in the open in 1 pass.
18 May 2015, 12:24 PM

It's a test to see if you are stupid enough to dump 180 munitions on a strafe that will barely do anything at all. Compared to other abilities, the current IL-2 strafe is worth about 120-130 ammo at best.
18 May 2015, 12:39 PM

typical relic balance: instead of slowly adjusting an overpowered ability it was crushed with nerfs into permanent uselessness

see: flamer halftrack, Maxims, on-map arty, etc
18 May 2015, 13:06 PM

Maxims are UP? News to me..

The IL2 could use a damage increase. however be careful, good lord we don't want the IL2 of early coh2
18 May 2015, 14:17 PM

Maxims are UP? News to me..

The IL2 could use a damage increase. however be careful, good lord we don't want the IL2 of early coh2

Yes anyone who makes a load of maxims at the start of the game isn't very smart, especially against OST. Maxims are just too easy to decrew with rifle grenades thanks to the bunching mechanics. I always groan when I see a Soviet ally making like 3 of these of the bat, they generally get destroyed too.

So either people who maxim spam aren't the greatest or maxims aren't the greatest (little from column A, little from column B).
18 May 2015, 16:38 PM

the strafe is awful. sometimes it only kills one model
18 May 2015, 17:09 PM

Permanently Banned
Maxims only issue is the dumbass infinite death loop on retreat, where it can't escape and just dies. IL2 could maybe use like a slight damage buff of like 10-15% but relic doesnt believe in changes below raising or lowering something below 30%. So don't count on it being buffed unless it'll become OP. It may not ez wipe anything on the map like before but it usually causes heavy enough damage to light vehicles or infantry to make the retreat or kill them. Rarely wipes them out, but the damage isn't nothing. Best used during a combined assault, not by itself.
18 May 2015, 18:07 PM

It may not ez wipe anything on the map like before but it usually causes heavy enough damage to light vehicles or infantry to make the retreat or kill them. Rarely wipes them out, but the damage isn't nothing. Best used during a combined assault, not by itself.

The problem is that it is hugely overpriced for what it does. You have the JU87 which for just 20 ammo more can take out freaking KV-2s, wreck full health AT guns or cause significant damage and suppression to infantry in a single strafe. The P47 pure antitank strafe causes more infantry casualties than the IL-2 for christs sake. The pinplane is just as damaging as the IL-2, is cheaper and causes way more suppression.

The IL-2 strafe can stay as it is, but it's price needs to drop a lot to justify the poor performance of the ability compared to other strafes.
18 May 2015, 18:28 PM

fragmentation strike is also way better
18 May 2015, 22:50 PM

Permanently Banned

The problem is that it is hugely overpriced for what it does. You have the JU87 which for just 20 ammo more can take out freaking KV-2s, wreck full health AT guns or cause significant damage and suppression to infantry in a single strafe. The P47 pure antitank strafe causes more infantry casualties than the IL-2 for christs sake. The pinplane is just as damaging as the IL-2, is cheaper and causes way more suppression.

The IL-2 strafe can stay as it is, but it's price needs to drop a lot to justify the poor performance of the ability compared to other strafes.

Well for one, the Stuka CAS is a bit OP, the IL2 really shouldn't be much more powerful than it already is just a bit more powerful and maybe add some more suppression. The pin plane is not as damaging I'm pretty sure. Last time they nerfed it it essentially does zero damage. The cost of the IL2 is fine, the performance is just a little lacking. Making it around 120 munitions would just make soviet players be able to call it in around the clock.
19 May 2015, 03:27 AM
Patrion 28

il-2 is pretty good against infantry and similar to the old stuka in terms of damage to vehicles (pretty bad). no idea how well it hit's infantry now though.
19 May 2015, 06:03 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I'll rather have other planes be as good as the IL2 rather than the other way round.
19 May 2015, 06:14 AM

il-2 is pretty good against infantry and similar to the old stuka in terms of damage to vehicles (pretty bad). no idea how well it hit's infantry now though.

Its some suppression and some damage.

Basically it can't decide if it wants to be a pin plane or CAS and as a result, suck horribly at both.

Shots track infantry(for loitering IL-2), but deal so little damage that full barrage concentrated on 1 squad MIGHT kill it on 2nd pass.
19 May 2015, 07:37 AM

Permanently Banned
Need somthing change in this ability, price or damage or both.
19 May 2015, 08:46 AM

The price should come down on this one tangibly. The weird thing about it is its inconsistency, sometimes it will ie. wipe Pak crews in one run, sometimes, it literally strafes an infantry blob without even killing a model.
19 May 2015, 08:53 AM

I think it needs to be different from Stuka strafe and able to damage both infantry and vehicles with a moderate damage, not entirely shitty like now.
19 May 2015, 09:03 AM

Odd thing to be honest. I do not know how RELIC manage to over nerf it?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 94
unknown 5
United States 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak