Login

russian armor

Destroyed tanks blocking sight needs to go

16 Apr 2015, 21:55 PM

The idea of this mechanic sounds real cool on paper. But I know as a big US player who's ONLY reliable AT consists of fragile long range units, this mechanic is doing more harm then good. It constantly saves all already hard to kill heavies from TD's multiple mediums and is one of the most annoying things in this game. It messes with AI too often causing tanks to suddenly run forward after losing their targets. And it can make tank battles in cramped area a huge clusterfuck.

I can't be the only one who things the game would be much more fluid and balanced with it gone, right?
16 Apr 2015, 21:57 PM

The idea of this mechanic sounds real cool on paper. But I know as a big US player who's ONLY reliable AT consists of fragile long range units, this mechanic is doing more harm then good. It constantly saves all already hard to kill heavies from TD's multiple mediums and is one of the most annoying things in this game. It messes with AI too often causing tanks to suddenly run forward after losing their targets. And it can make tank battles in cramped area a huge clusterfuck.

I can't be the only one who things the game would be much more fluid and balanced with it gone, right?

Just use attack ground the same as you would if they smoked, it usually works unless you hit the wreck instead.
16 Apr 2015, 22:01 PM

Just use attack ground the same as you would if they smoked, it usually works unless you hit the wreck instead.
On attack ground you will almost always hit the wreck instead. Not to mention the problems attack ground can have with certain elevations. Trust me, I've tried making it work. But it's still a pain in the ass.
16 Apr 2015, 22:06 PM
Donator 11

Even it they make wrecks transparent they will still block shells, even aimed ones. So that change won't help your problem and will look kind of strange considering how much smoke those wrecks provide.

EDIT:
Also there are other, better looking and working ways of ballancing the game. And after all us army is in it's best spot from the beginning right now.
16 Apr 2015, 22:07 PM
Senior Editor Badge

I mean, Relic developed TrueSight for a reason. Shooting your AT gun 4 feet from the ground through a destroyed tank into a KT seems a bit silly.

Tank carcasses block sight and that's how shit works.
16 Apr 2015, 22:11 PM

If there's a piece of green cover between your tank and your target, the round has a good chance of hitting the cover.

I don't see anything wrong with this tbh. You have to be aware of it and expect it, is all.

Besides, flimsy US tanks probably get more out of hiding behind green cover than Axis tanks do.
16 Apr 2015, 22:11 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I mean, Relic developed TrueSight for a reason. Shooting your AT gun 4 feet from the ground through a destroyed tank into a KT seems a bit silly.

Tank carcasses block sight and that's how shit works.

Clearly, the only way to solve this problem is to buff the 57mm for the situations where it is not blocked by tank carcasses :D
16 Apr 2015, 22:13 PM

what, you don't like the Magical Smoke of Armistice?
16 Apr 2015, 22:14 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Apr 2015, 22:13 PMArclyte
what, you don't like the Magical Smoke of Armistice?

When you don't got a peace pipe, you make do.
16 Apr 2015, 22:54 PM

If there's a piece of green cover between your tank and your target, the round has a good chance of hitting the cover.

I don't see anything wrong with this tbh. You have to be aware of it and expect it, is all.

Besides, flimsy US tanks probably get more out of hiding behind green cover than Axis tanks do.

Shots that scores hits always hit their targets only scatter shots will hit cover. And I'm not worried about a singl shell.

I'm much more annoyed about the smoke that refuses to go away even if the tank carcass is destroyed. It destroys the flow of the fight. It can make multiple at guns useless. I can't tell you how many times the Sherman that was defending my Jackson goes down a snow I have two jacksons unable to fight back against a charging heavy. Or just how stupid infantry looks standing next to each other not fighting at all.
16 Apr 2015, 23:26 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I find it more annoying getting stuck with USF vehicles on your own wrecks.
nee
17 Apr 2015, 00:14 AM

I think a good compromise is to somwhow reduce the "blob" block that wrecks give to sight. It's not like a smoke wreck is spewing a smokescreen, smoke from burning wrecks goes upwards.
17 Apr 2015, 00:48 AM
Senior Editor Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Apr 2015, 00:14 AMnee
I think a good compromise is to somwhow reduce the "blob" block that wrecks give to sight. It's not like a smoke wreck is spewing a smokescreen, smoke from burning wrecks goes upwards.

It would be cool if there was a wind direction and strength, so smoke could dissipate slower or faster and in certain directions, just in general.

I think a wreck blocking line of sight for a while is decent, sometimes it seems like it takes so long though. It can be frustrating, but you've just got to account for that.

Just like accounting for a building when you're setting up defenses.

Hell, if the tank is on a road, try putting an M6 AT mine on either side of the wreck. If you're fortunate enough to have an anti-infantry mine, try putting it behind the cover.
17 Apr 2015, 00:53 AM

Nope. Truesight is what makes me love this game. I hate that situation but I wouldnt change it. It can be frustrating as hell I know.
17 Apr 2015, 00:53 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

the best is when you destroy something you were chasing, and run into the wreck and your vehicle starts doing circles and backflips in the smoke/wreckage :)
17 Apr 2015, 01:19 AM

It obviously makes perfect sense for a tank carcass to block line of site. It doesn't make sense that the full tank that is still alive doesn't block line of site or a projectile from phasing through it. It's like there's some kind of temporo-spatial displacement field that allows shots and vision to pass through tanks, and it fails when the tank blows up which blocks line of site suddenly.

Or maybe all of the tanks are using phasing rounds, BUT they are also part of a line-of-site hivemind. HMM.
17 Apr 2015, 10:14 AM

It is why I use more Rifle company when I know I'll extra vision because of the map, That rifle flare is one of the best tool to combine with M36.

:D
17 Apr 2015, 10:24 AM

That is a problem why exactly?

Its quite obvious that fire and huge cloud of black smoke would obscure your vision in a game where True Sight is quite important mechanic.
17 Apr 2015, 11:55 AM

the best is when you destroy something you were chasing, and run into the wreck and your vehicle starts doing circles and backflips in the smoke/wreckage :)

Yeah they really need to fix that, I don't know how many clown cars I've had get stuck in a kubel wreck spinning round and round only to get killed when it finally decides to follow a simple order.
17 Apr 2015, 17:22 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Yeah they really need to fix that, I don't know how many clown cars I've had get stuck in a kubel wreck spinning round and round only to get killed when it finally decides to follow a simple order.

DO. NOT. SEND. MORE ORDERS. Yeah, i lose too many M3 before realizing it. Give a move command and pray to the RNG gods.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 88
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment