Login

russian armor

Relic Should Push More Patches

22 Feb 2015, 16:05 PM
Coder Red Badge

You can't release frequent balance patches anyways because you need to give the game time to adjust to the changes. But what you can do is make quality-of-life improvements to things like the interface. I mean, look at the tactical map, it's a clusterfuck of information overload. Relic is competing with free-to-play games in that they need people constantly playing CoH2 so they can generate revenue through DLC. The best way to keep people interested is to constantly give them new stuff to be excited about, even if it's just a few new options on the menu.

A big problem, I presume, is the fact that CoH2 was built on CoH1's engine. That's some real old code, most of the original programmers are probably gone, and it's likely not very modular/extensible, at least not to the extent of a game like Dota 2 which was specifically designed for the iterable free-to-play model. Valve also owns their distribution platform, unlike Relic who probably has to pay every time they push an update. That combined with the crazy QA Relic's patches have historically had to go through largely explains why patches don't happen more frequently.
22 Feb 2015, 16:28 PM

We don't need patch every month.
Every patch needs time to see what impact it will have. One month is too short. Despite game breaking things that need hot-fixes.

All we need is communication.
Are they preparing balance patch? Great! Let us know what are you planning to do! Not patch notes, just general directions you want to achieve, like "we want Obers to be most powerful AI infantry but we are doing something to make them little less effective". Now we can disscus what changes are coming etc.

Are they preparing new stuff like Brits? Commanders? War Effort? Great! Make stream about this, show us how it's gonna be, how it's gonna work. Tell us how custom commaders will work, how we will get abilities for it etc etc.. BUT not 2 days before release! Do this 3 weeks before date of even earlier so we can hype for this! Are you going to release somtething at the end of the march? Make stream or give us plenty informations right now or in few first days of march, not few day before.

That's in my problem. I can belive they are doing something. But I have no idea what, when and how.
I can't hype myself for this if Relic is realisng info 2-3 days before.
22 Feb 2015, 16:32 PM
Patrion 14

one more good balance patch. then bugs, performance, UI etc etc.
22 Feb 2015, 17:45 PM

I heard it costs money to get a patch through steam and Sega is being cheap. Is there any truth to this?
22 Feb 2015, 18:50 PM

I heard it costs money to get a patch through steam and Sega is being cheap. Is there any truth to this?

I'm sure everyone here is an expert on Sega's business practices.

If it actually cost a significant amount of money to release a patch on Steam, I'd assume Relic would atleast check their patches against their own patchnotes before releasing them only to be forced to hotfix the next day.
22 Feb 2015, 19:27 PM

SEGA bought Relic because Relic has the WH40k games license, which basically prints money. COH2 was just something that came along for the ride and if SEGA is pushing Relic to do something it's probably to work on DOW3/Space Marine 2.

It's sad but ultimately COH2 has suffered immensely thanks to THQ's fall and most of Relic leaving to form their own studio (which is currently lobbying to get the WH40k license back from Relic), I could excuse Relics initial slow work in getting patches out but now it seems literally the opposite has happened. Now that Relic is back on their feet we are getting even less content.
22 Feb 2015, 19:35 PM
Patrion 14

maybe they can release the patches on steam workshop like 3 days before actual release of the patch? i mean, that cost nothing right?

then more ppl can help with the patch and maybe find some newly introduced bugs that new patches might bring and stuff.
22 Feb 2015, 19:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Feb 2015, 19:35 PMpigsoup
maybe they can release the patches on steam workshop like 3 days before actual release of the patch? i mean, that cost nothing right?

then more ppl can help with the patch and maybe find some newly introduced bugs that new patches might bring and stuff.

They actually introduced an open beta for the first Jadgtiger/ISU changes which was cool, why they don't do this for every patch I have no idea.
Hux
22 Feb 2015, 19:36 PM
Patrion 14

SEGA bought Relic because Relic has the WH40k games license, which basically prints money. COH2 was just something that came along for the ride and if SEGA is pushing Relic to do something it's probably to work on DOW3/Space Marine 2.

As I understood it, Relic only owns the rights to the Dawn of war series of games (if that is not what you meant already). For any other game that is a Warhammer/40k game but not another DoW installment Relic would have to set up a new contract with GW

Not that I care. If I was Sega, I'd be very interested in a new DoW game. I think singleplayer wise those games are far more substantial than CoH..

Having said that, fuck me if I didn't enjoy the original CoH campaign immensely!
22 Feb 2015, 19:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Feb 2015, 19:36 PMHux

As I understood it, Relic only owns the rights to the Dawn of war series of games (if that is not what you meant already). For any other game that is a Warhammer/40k game but not another DoW installment Relic would have to set up a new contract with GW

Not that I care. If I was Sega, I'd be very interested in a new DoW game. I think singleplayer wise those games are far more substantial than CoH..

Having said that, fuck me if I didn't enjoy the original CoH campaign immensely!

Nope, Relic has the extremely rare ability to make a WH40k game of what ever type they want to, which is basically a license to print money due to WH40k's brand recognition (See: WH40k Space Marine). Most studios have to work out rights with GW when ever they want to make one game.
22 Feb 2015, 19:42 PM

Permanently Banned

We will lock, if and when we decide to lock - but thanks for your comment, Sneaky :) - I can keep this one as a guard against your future crits on locking, which based on your past performance, will not be lacking :D

Thanks bro, I take great pride in my critique of moderator activities and consider myself an unofficial moderino of coh2.org. Pls let me know if you're in need of my services again. No Kapparino, no cykapasta pls.
22 Feb 2015, 20:02 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't be mad if Relic abandoned CoH2 to work on and support Dawn of War 3; the single player for Dawn of War 2 was extremely fun, and the multiplayer was great as well. It's also Warhammer 40k; the setting alone is a million times better than the setting(WW2) for CoH2.

As for the original post, it's hard to disagree with Inverse since he's right on the spot for this particular scenario.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★