Login

russian armor

did the ESL get cancelled ? (officially)

• This thread is locked
PAGES (5)down
3 Feb 2015, 20:53 PM
Coder Red Badge

RNG is competetive.

It cuts both ways.

Makes for far more interesting viewing and playing, than automatic SC2.

As an example, in Super Bowl 49, did you expect that fnal throw rather than muscling the last yard? Hell no. Did you expect the interception? Fuck no. Did anyone see the probability of that impssible fumble that took Seahawks to the line? Absolutely not.

That was RNG in action, at its best.
Nobody saw it coming. Completely unpredictable. But it made for a fantastic game.

Wait what? This isn't responding to me is it? Because I haven't said a word about RNG this entire conversation. Did you even read my post?
3 Feb 2015, 21:12 PM

@Basilone
I agree with you. I play football competitively even though I'm not very good at it. However I was talking about a potential competitive gaming scene not competitive play in general. Two friends playing lobby games competitively are not going to help when you try to build a competitive scene.

3 Feb 2015, 21:13 PM

This game, in and of itself, is plenty competetive.
Earning money on it, however fails compared to streaming big tits and playing Minecraft.

Sad but true...
If I had the equipment, I would do that for CoH2 :hyper:
3 Feb 2015, 21:32 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Sexist post reported (more than once ) and invised.

Kindly restrain from referring to the female anatomy, however alluring

Back to topic (sighs, despairingly)
3 Feb 2015, 21:40 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Feb 2015, 21:12 PMGiaA
@Basilone
I agree with you. I play football competitively even though I'm not very good at it. However I was talking about a potential competitive gaming scene not competitive play in general. Two friends playing lobby games competitively are not going to help when you try to build a competitive scene.

Since we are on an international board, please clarify! :)

American football, or soccer?
3 Feb 2015, 22:10 PM

Since we are on an international board, please clarify! :)

American football, or soccer?

WTF is a soccer why why why wont you muricans call it like every one else in the world call it..

that american football ( knock of rugby) players carry the ball aint the name say foot ball they rarely use their feet.. Cant they call amrican football as american rugby and get rid of soccer name altogether ...o_O

i know its :ot:
3 Feb 2015, 22:22 PM

I think people might be interested in competetive events, not just the same one, week in and week out.

Look at World Championships. The ones that exists every year like hockey, nobody really cares. (Yes I realize this might be tilted somewhat towards nations who do play hockey, all 6 of us.)
Or the ones that happens every 2 years, like Track and field, better but still a bit often not big enough. Or the events that happen only every 4 years, like the Olympics or Fifa world cup.

And we know this isn't just about the game being played, in Track the Olympics is 100times more important than a World Championship, just for the reason of it being availible on a less know basis. Same with winning gold in hockey in the olympics or in the world champs.

God not to mention the 7 billion different boxing world champions there are.

The other part of the problem is that quite a lot of players get cold feet when it comes to compete, afraid of getting curbstomped and it being showed and some asshole streamer calling your gameplay shit. (Sorry for all the people who felt that way during the Nationscup, rest assure I am no better.)

But thats part of competing, getting your ass handed to you in 7 nice pieces and then getting right back up there and competing again.

So to cap this up, (Why do I always do this in most of my posts?)
A) Organizers needs to remain creative, most of you are, but tournaments cant just be tournament nr 24235, it gets boring so winning it means nothing. Don't flood the market, supply and demand and all that other capitalist bull.

B) Players of CoH2, dont be afraid to fail! Do you seriously think all those guys at top 10 of the charts, who win every tourny got there by just winning all the time?
No you learn from your mistakes! Fail the most and you will win the most, there is no other route. If you do an amazing job and go a long-ways in a tourny, people will know your name.
If you fail, no one will care.
I think everyone knows who the fastest man at 100m dash is. (usain bolt you nerds!) but who the fuck is the second fastest?
THe only one to care about the looser is the looser. So don't be afraid to try. Get your mate, sign up and atleast try! Worst thing to happen is you loose a game.
3 Feb 2015, 22:23 PM

Off-topic.

What is this: Rugy, soccer and football?

Bears only play hockey!

edit: and CoH2 of course........
3 Feb 2015, 22:29 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

WTF is a soccer why why why wont you muricans call it like every one else in the world call it..

Have you forgotten to salute The Flag already? :P

that american football ( knock of rugby) players carry the ball aint the name say foot ball they rarely use their feet..

Sadly , it seems your ignorance knows no bounds ;)

Cant they call amrican football as american rugby and get rid of soccer name altogether ...o_O

Both Rugby League and Rugby Union have similarities,and there is little doubt that American Football developed out of one of these sports. The trouble with American football, is that there is no passing, after the pass from the Quarterback. That tends to make the US games static - and somewhat balletic

i know its :ot:

It's OTT :D
3 Feb 2015, 22:39 PM

This game aint ready for any sort of real competition.
The fact that there is 0 communication for ESl's side (they told us they have 0 information from Relic's part) is nothing for ESL.

The amount RNG is nothing for competitive gaming, where you want to have a decent hand on the outcome.
Planes crashing and taking away 2 triple vet grensquads is something no one wants to see in a final of +1500euro.

Aint gonna happen, said it before, saying it now.
3 Feb 2015, 22:41 PM

My thinking is they're betting on a LAN finals attracting attention from people because of the novelty factor. If this is an online-only league it's going to be completely pointless.

To be fair, LAN finals WOULD be sweet. It would motivate me to practice my heart out to qualify.

Sadly... I'm not holding my breath. From the little I have heard about Relic's deal with ESL, I don't think LAN finals would be possible. Also, $18,000 would dwindle pretty fast in terms of a prize pool if people are having to be flown from around the world to Vancouver (or wherever they'd host it).

Jesulin - Spain
Luvnest - Germany
Twister - France? Or something... I can never keep track of Twister
Giap - Vietnam
Hans - Japan now (hopefully Hans would have time to participate)

Point being... Relic would have to pay a pretty penny to fly even the top 4 qualifiers from around the world to Vancouver. Sega does have connections and deep pockets, so maybe it is possible.

It would be my dream come true to have a LAN coh2 tourney though...
3 Feb 2015, 23:05 PM

Here is my opinion from a semi professional casual scrub.

Will competitive play even matter? The community size is shrinking. It is the same folks competing over and over again. There hasn't been a tournament run in ages and when there is it just seems like a repeat of the previous one. Boring. There needs to be some changes to game content to make it different. Seasonal maps would go a big way in mixing up the norm.

Yep I didn't word my statement properly. What I meant is that the player base on the whole doesn't have much interest in taking part in competitive events. Despite talking about them all the time.

Yep
3 Feb 2015, 23:16 PM

Incentive is required inorder to motivate participation.

Glory and bragging rights only go so far, and only to some.
Cash amd real prizes is a language just about everyone speaks.

The coh2.org Alienware tourney was roaring success far as I am concerned.
No ESL tourney however has even registered to me.
I camt even imagine who would organize/promote/stream/host/commentate it.
I come up completely empty at even the thought of it. No idea how it could practically even happen.

Consider this, if someone offers 1 million for winning a coh2 tournament, would it not suddenly become extremely "competetive"?

Some people are confusing the term "competetive" to mean things which it does not.
3 Feb 2015, 23:24 PM

Consider this, if someone offers 1 million for winning a coh2 tournament, would it not suddenly become extremely "competetive"?

Now thats a gamble no organization will make. Something that was successful on release would get that honor, not a duct-taped RNG dependent game like CoH2 that was released and underwent a giant rough state.

Whats the point in arguing against the reality? Talking theory wont somehow make these things happen.
3 Feb 2015, 23:25 PM

I come up completely empty at even the thought of it. No idea how it could practically even happen.

Some people are confusing the term "competetive" to mean things which it does not.

False. The SSBM community competed for years for significantly smaller prizes than CoH 2 has had and literally negative developer support. And look at them now. Still breaking records.

The SSB/fighting game community in general is just awesome. Unfortunately I don't think the CoH 2 community has the drive or willpower to become an e-Sport or even a truly competitive game in the way SC2/DoTA/LoL/HS/CS have been.

Throwing money at the problem as been tried numerous times, and it doesn't work. The community has to want it. This one, as IpKai has correctly pointed out, simply does not. It is sad.

The fact that you think the Alienware tournament was a success is a joke. That was probably the worst tournament this game has ever had. I certainly can't think of a worse one anyways.
3 Feb 2015, 23:35 PM
Coder Red Badge

If the game is interesting to play competitively, people are going to play it competitively regardless of incentives. Western Brood War, early DotA, and even CoH1 had more vibrant and dynamic competitive scenes than CoH2 does with essentially zero meaningful financial incentives beyond maybe the top handful of players.

You keep saying people are confusing competitive play with professional play, yet here you are saying financial incentives are key to making a game competitive. They're not. They're key to making a game professional, sure, but all a game needs to be competitive is for its competition to be compelling to play and watch. And for the vast majority of RTS fans out there (not just the few thousand who visit these forums), CoH2's gameplay just isn't as compelling to play or watch as Starcraft's is, and Relic has done essentially nothing since release to target that audience.
3 Feb 2015, 23:52 PM

Nay-sayers and haters. Ok.
Sort of makes one wonder what team you are actually playing for.

Fine. Keep the money in an ESL tourney, and watch it be an unmitigated failure.
I'll be amused to see who organizes/streams it.

My bets are on Barton being the only participant and walking away with da loot.
3 Feb 2015, 23:55 PM
Coder Red Badge

You just kinda talk, eh? And when someone challenges your position you ignore them or change the subject, or go on a completely irrelevant tangent. Oh well, such is life I suppose.
4 Feb 2015, 00:00 AM

And then you wonder why these efforts fail, when some staff has this kind of attitude.

What else do I need to say? Sort of speaks for itself.
4 Feb 2015, 00:01 AM

You just kinda talk, eh? And when someone challenges your position you ignore them or change the subject, or go on a completely irrelevant tangent. Oh well, such is life I suppose.

I mean... Nullist has always done this. Should be no surprise here Inverse. I'm actually kind of shocked that you engaged him in any sort of discussion. I have to say I've agreed with almost every point you've made in this thread, even though I hope one day CoH 2 will become as great a game as it could be.
PAGES (5)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS