Login

russian armor

Community Farewell from pqumsieh

PAGES (9)down
20 Jan 2015, 17:08 PM

Im pretty sure that it affected his decisions. Being harassed over and over again is not fun at all.

He talked to us personally about this before he made the thread on the official forums and I posted it here. Really, the community had nothing to do with it. He just got an offer from some other company with a new position and wanted to sharpen his skills in that area.
20 Jan 2015, 18:04 PM

He talked to us personally about this before he made the thread on the official forums and I posted it here. Really, the community had nothing to do with it. He just got an offer from some other company with a new position and wanted to sharpen his skills in that area.

Yet the trolls here will continue insisting that he left because of the "immature" community.
20 Jan 2015, 18:17 PM

Im pretty sure that it affected his decisions. Being harassed over and over again is not fun at all.

Umm, as someone close to the game industry I need to say that it goes with the job.
You can't take the heat? Don't work in gaming.
And people in gaming learn really quick to not give a shit about whining community.
20 Jan 2015, 18:18 PM

Well played Pete.
20 Jan 2015, 18:22 PM

The end of an era draws near :P

Good luck Peter! :)
20 Jan 2015, 18:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jan 2015, 16:32 PMFrost
The King is dead, long live the King!

We hope, next balance designer will more listen community and make this game for community, not for developers.

And after all, if things are so terrible, then the upside potential of change is much bigger than the downside.
20 Jan 2015, 19:24 PM
Director of Social Media Badge

CoH France forum wish you all the best.
20 Jan 2015, 20:36 PM

So, who is next?
20 Jan 2015, 20:41 PM

Dear COH2 Community,

After much thought and consideration, I have decided to move onto a new adventure. January 23 will be my last day at Relic Entertainment. This decision is definitely a difficult one; I will deeply miss you all. Yet I’ve found myself presented with an opportunity that I cannot pass up. To the community, thank you for your endless support. To our Alpha group and modders – for no other reason than your passion for the franchise did you invest countless hours into helping make COH2 the game it is today. Your continued effort and dedication will not soon be forgotten.

The last 2.5 years has been nothing short of amazing. Like many of you, I once was a fan who played countless hours of Company of Heroes and even got around to working on some community mods. Working at Relic has been a dream come true, I got to take my passion and make it a reality. Not only that, I was lucky enough to work with some amazing people; both inside and out of the studio.

I look forward to my transition from a developer back into a fan. To say the least, I am extremely excited about the future of Company of Heroes. The team has some great things in store which I feel will help bring COH2 to a new level. While I may be viewed as one of the more public faces within Relic Entertainment, it is important to emphasize that this is and always has been a team effort. From game design and balance all the way through to art and QA, no decision at Relic is made by any one person. We have worked together as a group to continue to push the franchise forward, and they will continue to do this in my absence. I am looking forward to seeing even more of our hard work made public in 2015.

All the best,

-pqumsieh

http://community.companyofheroes.com/forum/company-of-heroes-2/company-of-heroes-2-general-discussion/144164-community-farewell-from-pqumsieh

20 Jan 2015, 22:46 PM

Gg wp.

Gl hf.

(Shot) (Shot) (Shot) (Trumpet)
20 Jan 2015, 22:49 PM
Donator 11

ok this game is now dead
20 Jan 2015, 22:49 PM
Benefactor 355

On personal and professional note, all the best to PQ!

However, before we bring out our sad little stories of coh2 balance doom, we need to consider the fact that PQ wasn't able to bring coh2 balance to esports level during his tenure as the balance designer.
20 Jan 2015, 23:18 PM

...we need to consider the fact that PQ wasn't able to bring coh2 balance to esports level during his tenure as the balance designer.

Put that joint down and rub your eyes a moment. CoH2 will never become an e-sports title, and it amazes me that there are still people who believe it could ever be so. Relic are too inconsistent and fragmented a studio to pull off such a feat, and more importantly the game was clearly not designed with such an outcome in mind.

CoH2 is a great game, but it lacks focus and Relic lack the manpower and resources to truly break through into the sort of player base you're talking about. They have what, a hundred people, and presumably only a fraction of those are working on the CoH franchise.

Do people honestly think a game - no matter how fun it is, and it is great fun for the most part - with a one-man balance department, no dedicated map team and the kind of server/connection issues that have plagued it since launch will ever become a finely tuned competitive e-sports title? No chance. Incidentally, I do not believe there is either the interest/ambition from the developers for that to be the case, or a real fanbase for it within the existing CoH2 community. We're not SC2.

CoH2 is a great game, but like most games it is flawed. We should enjoy it for what it is and try to work with what tools we have available to us, but the whole e-sports thing (an idea I see floated quite often) is simply a forlorn hope.

Peter's a cool guy, though. I'm sure he'll go on to bigger and better things in a less constrictive environment.
20 Jan 2015, 23:24 PM
Benefactor 355

Put that joint down and rub your eyes a moment.

You should try it, it's gud for calming da fuck down. #MVGame

I never said coh2 should or should not be esports, Relic did. From corporate perspective, you don't deliver, you get replaced.

I am not saying that scenario happened for sure, but it could be a possibility.
20 Jan 2015, 23:29 PM
Donator 11

Put that joint down and rub your eyes a moment. CoH2 will never become an e-sports title, and it amazes me that there are still people who believe it could ever be so. Relic are too inconsistent and fragmented a studio to pull off such a feat, and more importantly the game was clearly not designed with such an outcome in mind.

CoH2 is a great game, but it lacks focus and Relic lack the manpower and resources to truly break through into the sort of player base you're talking about. They have what, a hundred people, and presumably only a fraction of those are working on the CoH franchise.

Do people honestly think a game - no matter how fun it is, and it is great fun for the most part - with a one-man balance department, no dedicated map team and the kind of server/connection issues that have plagued it since launch will ever become a finely tuned competitive e-sports title? No chance. Incidentally, I do not believe there is either the interest/ambition from the developers for that to be the case, or a real fanbase for it within the existing CoH2 community. We're not SC2.

CoH2 is a great game, but like most games it is flawed. We should enjoy it for what it is and try to work with what tools we have available to us, but the whole e-sports thing (an idea I see floated quite often) is simply a forlorn hope.

Peter's a cool guy, though. I'm sure he'll go on to bigger and better things in a less constrictive environment.

I don't think anyone expects coh2 to beat league of legends in its current playernumbers but it could atleast pull 3x the amount of players it does currently if relic would have played their cards right. Starcraft/broodwar had even smaller teams with less resources behind them than relic and it still got huge in korea. Likewise league of legends had a tiny studio behind it when they launched. You clearly don't know what you are talking about. Maybe you werent a onlinegamer in late 90's and don't even know the history of todays greatest franchises?
20 Jan 2015, 23:30 PM

I'm not sure there's any correlation between Peter deciding to leave because of a likely combination of frustration at Relic and wanting to climb the industry ladder, and the fact that CoH2 is not an e-sports title. I suppose, if you wanted to, you could blame him for perceived balance issues (regardless of whether he was in fact responsible for them), but you couldn't blame him for issues with faction design, poor input delay, and so on.

CoH2 will almost certainly improve over time, but this community is a fairly angry and self-entitled one as whole, so it's easy to see why someone may wish to move on to a more constructive and understanding environment.

BTW, I'll raise your MVGame with a Kappa. ;)

@spajn

In general, just assume I don't know what I'm talking about. It makes posting easier.
20 Jan 2015, 23:34 PM
Donator 11

@spajn

In general, just assume I don't know what I'm talking about. It makes posting easier.

No im gonna assume you are right, unless a game has atleast 200 million budget it's doomed as a competative game.

that shit is now in the books and will be refered to in future debates.
20 Jan 2015, 23:37 PM

All I ask is that you quote me warmly and accurately. :)
21 Jan 2015, 00:36 AM
Patrion 14

Lets not turn this thread in a balance/esports discussion...

Wish you all the best Peter!
PAGES (9)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 48
Korea, Republic Of 5
unknown 18

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L