Login

russian armor

OKW Panzer Schwer HQ

17 Jan 2015, 18:53 PM

This unit (actually building) seems to be over performing.

It can lock out infantry from whole sections of the map, is extremely effective at all ranges against all but heavy targets, and requires dedicated AT and fair amounts of time to destroy. To add insult to injury it can shoot at aircraft. Annoyingly, it is given as a gift for unlocking a tier. Meanwhile as Soviet I have to pick T3 or T4 and receive nothing in return. Wehr is no better off having to pay for unlocking a building but getting nothing in return.

I would like to seriously discuss how this unit functions and if it should be changed.
17 Jan 2015, 18:57 PM

risk vs reward :snfPeter:
17 Jan 2015, 19:00 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Main issue I have is its range that is also not properly indicated.
17 Jan 2015, 19:00 PM

there is 0 risk in early game, you cant destroy that thing if a whole okw army is defending it, only in late game is defeatable, everybody knows that. So, there is 0 risk in the first minutes of its construction
17 Jan 2015, 19:26 PM

1 Shock Troop unit can kill it while it's setting up, and an SU-85 can use focus sight to DPS it down pretty easily. Good Schwer placement can be a huge advantage for an OKW player, but remember your biggest advantage over OKW is that you have indirect fire and he doesn't
17 Jan 2015, 19:30 PM

indirect fire and he doesn't

Said no one ever, maybe you haven't played in the last 2 months so you don't know that everyone is going pak 43 and artillery in 1v1 isn't viable, be it ML-20 or priest
17 Jan 2015, 19:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jan 2015, 19:30 PMaradim

Said no one ever, maybe you haven't played in the last 2 months so you don't know that everyone is going pak 43 and artillery in 1v1 isn't viable, be it ML-20 or priest
Mortars/Scotts/75mm Howitzers, Katyushas, ect.

Indirect fire doesn't mean only standard fixed artillery.
17 Jan 2015, 19:59 PM

This unit (actually building) seems to be over performing.

It can lock out infantry from whole sections of the map, is extremely effective at all ranges against all but heavy targets, and requires dedicated AT and fair amounts of time to destroy. To add insult to injury it can shoot at aircraft. Annoyingly, it is given as a gift for unlocking a tier. Meanwhile as Soviet I have to pick T3 or T4 and receive nothing in return. Wehr is no better off having to pay for unlocking a building but getting nothing in return.

I would like to seriously discuss how this unit functions and if it should be changed.

but bean, it's working as intended :foreveralone:
17 Jan 2015, 20:20 PM

Don't forget its fire radius is higher than it should be.
I think that hq should be only AT to protect okw vs medium tanks at mid game. Its AI should be weaker and no longer suppress infantry.
17 Jan 2015, 20:29 PM

Working as intended KAPPA ( Forum closed )
17 Jan 2015, 20:57 PM

The only reason it was remotely fine when the OPW first came out was because it was laughably easy to attack ground with AT guns to knock them out when lazily positioned, but then Relic decided it was a problem and nerfed it while buffing the flak bus which it should have known from their experience in COH1 was a moronic idea. When you give players the option to build tech structures in the field they're typically just going to ignore it because your base is safe and out there is not. So instead they make it stupid, expensive, and without a significant advantage, difficult to deal with.

17 Jan 2015, 21:00 PM

Permanently Banned
Why does Flak HQ reliably penetrate allied medium?

PQ- "Why shouldnt it?" :guyokay:
17 Jan 2015, 21:08 PM

Mortars/Scotts/75mm Howitzers, Katyushas, ect.

Indirect fire doesn't mean only standard fixed artillery.

Show me a Replay of an M8 being able to kill of a Panzer Schwer with Indirect Fire mode in 1v1 and ill donate to your Paypal account.

My money is safe because it wont happen. Scott is great at direct fire sucks ass at indirect (totally backwards)
17 Jan 2015, 21:09 PM

Decrease penetration, a 3,7 mm cannon cant really penetrate a t34 or sherman front... Increase reload time. Then it would be balanced it think.
17 Jan 2015, 21:09 PM

risk vs reward :snfPeter:

Anyone else, seeing this emote, wants to punch it? :snfPeter:
17 Jan 2015, 21:10 PM

1 Scott isn't going to kill a Schwer, but as pointed out there are many indirect fire options for helping kill it.
17 Jan 2015, 21:16 PM

Why does Flak HQ reliably penetrate allied medium?

PQ- "Why shouldnt it?" :guyokay:

Just don't question why a 37mm gun which penetrated 30mm of armor from 100 meters is doing anything to the frontal armor of an M4 Sherman. Relic doesn't like it when you mention things that actually happened.
17 Jan 2015, 21:17 PM

1 Scott isn't going to kill a Schwer, but as pointed out there are many indirect fire options for helping kill it.

Helpful is taking it out. If I want to take it out I am not going to use the Scotts barrage to even help destroy it. I will use the Scott to kill the Blob coming to rescue it. Thats like saying oh you can use Panzerfaust to help kill an IS2!

Yes you can. But its pretty dumb.

Personally I have no issues with the Panzershwer HQ. Its annoying but managable. But saying the Scott is any help against it is very silly. An 82MM Mortar is better then the Scott at this task. And Sturms will just repair all the damage between barrages anyway. They can make the damn thing immortal if they have repair kits.
17 Jan 2015, 21:23 PM

Soviet T2 early AT is very handy against chock point flak HQ.

both ost and soviet has no reward whatsoever in teching. Relic probably will realize that in 2016.
17 Jan 2015, 21:53 PM

1 Shock Troop unit can kill it while it's setting up, and an SU-85 can use focus sight to DPS it down pretty easily. Good Schwer placement can be a huge advantage for an OKW player, but remember your biggest advantage over OKW is that you have indirect fire and he doesn't

This means I have to dedicate a single unit to the task of destroying this building. He need only bring up some light AT and suddenly I am stuck. If I attack into it I got pinned with infantry. If I leave he still controls the area.

SU-85's are not great at this task, and it leaves them very vulnerable to flanking.
Mortars take literally ages to destroy this and cannot be used against anything else while shooting.
Scotts, already addressed.

What happens if I go T1 and T3?
What happens if I get pushed off a large map, by the time I return this can be set up and effectively end the game by locking me out.
In 2v2+ a stuka from the other player can easily destroy team weapons brought to destroy it.

There is minimal risk with this unit and a huge reward. It frees up infantry and tanks to other parts of the map because it requires large amounts of forces to deal with before it can be destroyed.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★