Login

russian armor

Ambulance speed

20 Nov 2014, 23:47 PM

Shouldn't this be one of the fastest units in the game? I suppose it doesn't matter much of the time since it is usually left as a stationary healing point but occasionally it would be useful to zoom this low hp unit around to reinforce seperated squads.
20 Nov 2014, 23:50 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

21 Nov 2014, 00:46 AM

Not just the speed the acceleration is abysmal

Ambulance acceleration 1.3
King tiger acceleration 1.4 :snfPeter:
21 Nov 2014, 01:03 AM

Dear god. 911 is a joke in your town.
21 Nov 2014, 03:01 AM

I would argue that the ambulance should be unresponsive because if your opponent is using it as a forward reinforcement/healing unit, it should be somewhat vulnerable and not have an easy time escaping.

There's room for tweaking the values of course. But given the rather generous range of the reinforcement making it too fast would let you escape if your infantry are pushed back a bit too easily imo. There needs to be some risk to using it in a forward position, and you DEFINITELY should not be able to zoom around the map reinforcing squads willy nilly.

Also, if it's fast enough I am going to use it to decap your cutoffs instead of the jeep. Unless you want to get killed by combat medic colt action (Seen medics beat a grenadier once...), you best think about what you're proposing.

21 Nov 2014, 03:16 AM

Yes forward reinforcement units should all be weak and high risk. Such as half tracks zooming around the map full of conscripts or flame pips breaking the game I see all the time.......

The healing is nice. That's the benefit of it. Being made of glass and no offensive upgrade is its drawback. You can't retreat to it without the major so no major issue there. Not like it's a mobile OKW healing truck. It should easily escape anything that's not a 222/puma IMHO. It's stupid that it's slower then a KT.
21 Nov 2014, 03:25 AM
Patrion 28

Dear god. 911 is a joke in your town.

too soon

i might agree with you dullahan, if there wasn't already a precedent set by by the other halftracks and the ambulance didn't require the sector to be combat free, although i'm sure there are ways to exploit that. as is, i think giving it better speed, and especially acceleration, would be good for the truck.
21 Nov 2014, 03:29 AM

too soon

It's a public enemy song. Get up get down 911 is a joke in your town. Referring to US emergency response. Not September 11th.
21 Nov 2014, 04:12 AM

I actually first thought about 9/11, but then remembered 911, and that gave that rare internal mini chuckle, specially with that comment.

On topic, I think a little faster acceleration at least wouldn't hurt, if not overall faster. As a physician sometimes it's funny to think about the laziness of the driver - "ah, it's all flesh wounds"
21 Nov 2014, 04:27 AM

Yes forward reinforcement units should all be weak and high risk. Such as half tracks zooming around the map full of conscripts or flame pips breaking the game I see all the time.......

too soon

i might agree with you dullahan, if there wasn't already a precedent set by by the other halftracks and the ambulance didn't require the sector to be combat free, although i'm sure there are ways to exploit that. as is, i think giving it better speed, and especially acceleration, would be good for the truck.

Higher teching and unit costs, obviously. The amount of fuel that goes into Soviet or German halftracks is significantly greater than the 10 it takes to build an ambulance. You also need to consider that the healing on the ambulance sets it apart significantly because it prevents squads from suffering as much attrition. Keeping your squads topped up for engagements is a huge boon, and it quite frankly baffles me most people buy their ambulance only to leave it in their base.

The ambulance is also pretty much available from the start of the game. While it can only be used if the ambulance is in friendly territory you have to consider that Americans already have a strong opening aggression and can generally secure that territory. With a buff to speed/acceleration, ambulances will be very difficult to pick off and will require you to absolutely overwhelm the american to push them off.

I'm not against small tweaks, but if the ambulance starts feeling like a jeep I'll have issues with it.
21 Nov 2014, 04:29 AM

No.

Placement is the key thing with this unit. If you think there will be a big engagement within that area then move it up there. Likewise, if you believe its dangerous you get out asap. If it has high speed and/or acceleration it will simply be to easy to control the map or escape well executed Axis ambushes.

It is the associated risk and I think it is best that it stays. Having both healing/reinforcing is a huge benefit right on the frontlines and if done correctly (even without a Major) you place so much pressure on your opponent that they can't help but forefit map control.

If you misplace your medic you should be punished for it.
21 Nov 2014, 05:39 AM

Can we get blitz and smoke plz?
21 Nov 2014, 06:22 AM

Why it would go faster? Its not like someone is dying or something :snfPeter:
21 Nov 2014, 06:43 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Nov 2014, 06:22 AMKatitof

Katitof plz.

The ambulance does not have any sounds or flashing lights. It would probably cause an accident if it goes full speed drifting down the roads!
Vaz
21 Nov 2014, 06:49 AM

yea if I remember right, it's top speed isn't terrible (still slow), but the acceleration slower than tigers is what doesn't make sense. Both should be increased, considering the strength of this vehicle. Anything at all in the game can destroy it very quickly, so it should be able to zip around faster than kubel imo.
21 Nov 2014, 07:20 AM
Donator 11

Its fine, its slow due to gamebalance not because its realistic. A fast moving ambulance would be OP in the right hands.
21 Nov 2014, 07:49 AM
Benefactor 115

No.

Placement is the key thing with this unit. If you think there will be a big engagement within that area then move it up there. Likewise, if you believe its dangerous you get out asap. If it has high speed and/or acceleration it will simply be to easy to control the map or escape well executed Axis ambushes.

It is the associated risk and I think it is best that it stays. Having both healing/reinforcing is a huge benefit right on the frontlines and if done correctly (even without a Major) you place so much pressure on your opponent that they can't help but forefit map control.

If you misplace your medic you should be punished for it.

+1
21 Nov 2014, 08:15 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Nov 2014, 06:22 AMKatitof

21 Nov 2014, 08:29 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Nov 2014, 07:20 AMspajn
Its fine, its slow due to gamebalance not because its realistic. A fast moving ambulance would be OP in the right hands.

No it wouldn't. There's no reason at all for it to be this slow.
21 Nov 2014, 10:29 AM

No. Even doctor Yankee Doodle didn't save all guys.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★