Login

russian armor

Should I buy Recon Support company? or an other commander?

19 Nov 2014, 10:50 AM

I am wondering about getting this commander because of the awesome M8 Greyhound and that canister shell, but would like your opinions on this company and also any other good commander for USF or OKW.
19 Nov 2014, 10:57 AM

It's the worst one for USF.
19 Nov 2014, 11:00 AM

Got it through war spoils and didn't use it even once.
I would give it to you for free if it was possible.

ohhh, well I hope I can get it as a drop then.

It's my favourite commander, I&R pathfinders = love
19 Nov 2014, 11:05 AM

its a pretty interesting commander. the pathfinder arty drops extremely fast, and two of them will outright destroy any OKW truck. on top of that they can be dropped into fog. saving up 280 munitions is not TOO difficult as USF if you plan ahead for using the arty strikes.
i find the best target is the schwerer HQ. if you can take it out before the OKW player can get out a luchs or a few ober squads, you can really shift the balance of power towards you since they wont have a way to quickly kill your vetted rifles.
the greyhound is kinda cool...i guess. the canister shot can be a squad wipe in a lot of situations, but its very much a one trick pony since its main gun deals so little damage.
the paradrop callin is pretty meh, i think the manpower would be better spent on other things.

so far i find that hunting for the enemy schwerer HQ and bombing it to death with 2 IR pathfinders is the most viable strategy. you deny access to obers and the luchs so that your rifles will be able dominate infantry fights and seize control of the map.
its possible to have 280 munitions and 2 pathfinder squads by the time, or shortly after, the schwerer goes up, assuming munitions control has been even or in your favor.
19 Nov 2014, 12:38 PM

While it is true, its still very playable commander and its really fun one as well.

I got it as first war spoil and am glad I did, had most fun with it.
19 Nov 2014, 13:01 PM
Patrion 14

its a pretty interesting commander. the pathfinder arty drops extremely fast, and two of them will outright destroy any OKW truck. on top of that they can be dropped into fog. saving up 280 munitions is not TOO difficult as USF if you plan ahead for using the arty strikes.
i find the best target is the schwerer HQ. if you can take it out before the OKW player can get out a luchs or a few ober squads, you can really shift the balance of power towards you since they wont have a way to quickly kill your vetted rifles.
the greyhound is kinda cool...i guess. the canister shot can be a squad wipe in a lot of situations, but its very much a one trick pony since its main gun deals so little damage.
the paradrop callin is pretty meh, i think the manpower would be better spent on other things.

so far i find that hunting for the enemy schwerer HQ and bombing it to death with 2 IR pathfinders is the most viable strategy. you deny access to obers and the luchs so that your rifles will be able dominate infantry fights and seize control of the map.
its possible to have 280 munitions and 2 pathfinder squads by the time, or shortly after, the schwerer goes up, assuming munitions control has been even or in your favor.

this. i heard it on computerheat's cast when ciez talked about what lemon just said.

even with only one IR Arty, it does good damage, therefore it is easy to connect with other AT fire if that is possible.

i don't know about IR Pathfinder's combat capabilities though. didn't see any difference when i mixed them in with riflemen. iR's fake arty is great though.

but that is about it about the commander for me.
19 Nov 2014, 13:50 PM

It's alright, I like it. I like everything though, so keep that in mind.
19 Nov 2014, 14:15 PM

It is good, but not good enough to pay money for imo. Just wait for it to drop in War Spoils. I recently got Rifle Company in a War Spoil drop so out of the 6 "premium" commander for WFA I already have 4(Rifle,Mech*2,Fortification*2, Elite Armor*3), only missing Recon Support and Scavenge.
19 Nov 2014, 14:49 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

I like it a lot. I don't think it's as good as airborne or rifle company, but the paradrop makes it very munitions-efficient so you can spam lots of arty and canister rounds guilt-free. I think it's best in 1v1 where a random squad wipe with canister round here and there can really tip things in your favor. The greyhound also hard counters ostheer scout cars a little bit earlier than you can get a sherman or jackson (usually).
19 Nov 2014, 14:57 PM

Its not an amazing, but a good commander nevertheless. Certainly not the worst.

That title goes to the mechanized commander.
19 Nov 2014, 15:30 PM

Permanently Banned
Ur oponent has to be really trash to let u use the commander effectively.

Dont buy it
19 Nov 2014, 15:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Nov 2014, 14:49 PMRomeo
I like it a lot. I don't think it's as good as airborne or rifle company, but the paradrop makes it very munitions-efficient so you can spam lots of arty and canister rounds guilt-free. I think it's best in 1v1 where a random squad wipe with canister round here and there can really tip things in your favor. The greyhound also hard counters ostheer scout cars a little bit earlier than you can get a sherman or jackson (usually).
Really? My experience is that the the 222 kicks the greyhounds ass every time due to the pitiful damage it does.
19 Nov 2014, 15:57 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

Well regular greyhound will beat 221, and armor skirted greyhound will beat 222 but armor skirts are almost a waste on it since you pretty much just spam canister round until it dies for max benefit right now :D
19 Nov 2014, 16:02 PM
Patrion 14

The biggest problem with the commander is that one of the potentially most useful abilities, the recon ability for rifles, is bugged and also so restrictive that it almost never comes into play.

Bug 1:
The rifleman squad will indefinitely lose the ability once the entity which casts it dies. Reinforcing will not fix this.

Restrictions:
- not moving
- not in combat
- in cover or building

Add to that that the recon run is worse than the one you get with the major (2 planes pass not just 1) and more expensive.

The barrage is probably the best offmap arty in the game but the pathfinders have no other purpose since they lack the sniper rifle. For that they seem a tad overpriced and the pop cap too high.

The last ability is in most cases not very helpful since it comes at 7 cps which is mid to late game. 900 manpower for a faction that mainly bleeds manpower is really hard to get. Furthermore you will already have to have at, ergo an uncrewed at gun will not help you much and will just force you to use the drop conservatively to avoid losing the at gun. The fact that the likelyhood of getting zooks with any one squad instead of either thompsons or 1919s is 50% also doesn't help the appeal of the ability.

Bug 2:
In addition the paras are also bugged and don't receive healing at vet 2.

If they come with rifles, they do get 3 instead of 4 and they do not get the "focus fire" (or somthing like that) ability that thompson paras get. If they come with a 1919, they get only 1 instead of 2. They also lack the demo charge but get the light at mine.

The m8 is the best thing in the commander.

If the commander would work properly it might be underrated, but for how it is, it's low popularity reflects it's quality.
19 Nov 2014, 16:13 PM

This commander is very underrated.
19 Nov 2014, 19:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Nov 2014, 13:01 PMpigsoup

this. i heard it on computerheat's cast when ciez talked about what lemon just said.

even with only one IR Arty, it does good damage, therefore it is easy to connect with other AT fire if that is possible.

i don't know about IR Pathfinder's combat capabilities though. didn't see any difference when i mixed them in with riflemen. iR's fake arty is great though.

but that is about it about the commander for me.

Yep ciez and I have talked about a lot of potentially underrated abilities in the game, and ways to make them work. Pathfinder arty was one of them. It's rather gimmicky since your whole strategy kinda revolves around quickly destroying their t4 to maintain imfamtry dominance and if you fail at that you kinda lose since the doctrine doesn't offer much in the late game.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★