Login

russian armor

Yep I'm going there, Panzerwerfer

19 Nov 2014, 13:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Nov 2014, 18:49 PMZeaviS
These two units fulfill different roles, so it's hard to directly compare them.

Kats are supposed to be used as an area denial artillery, that's why there are 4 salvos. The werfer is supposed to be a very concentrated barage in one go. So wefers are better against blobs, and doing direct damage. It's like the difference between the mg42 and the maxim.

If I'd change anything about the werfer, I'd take a look at it's vet1 ability. Does anyone even use counter barrage? That seems pretty useless to me. Whereas the Kat vet1 ability is very useful, which might be why it seems so much better.

The reason why it seems so much better is the kat can deal massive damage to a blob at max range In the first set of rockets, and if your caught by it your gonna get hit by 2 waves before the retreating infantry are out of it.

in contrast to panzerwerfer's max range all rockets will fall on a area and barely scratch a blob, its not uncommon for when ive fired on a 1919 para or rifle blob all rockets fired on target - 3-8 kills.

The frustrating part is if it was a kat truck it most likely would of squad wiped something and gotten 12+ kills on a sizeable blob.

When I build a kat truck it almost always feels worth it, When I build a panzerwerfer I regret it half the time, Because the fuel would of better been spent on a tank.
19 Nov 2014, 13:50 PM

It should be more reliable. Mobile arty exist to punish enemy blobs hard, yet werfer is worse than double mortars in it's job (prob coz german mortars op as hell). Actually, as things go, mortar half-track>werfer.

Buffing AoE would be a good start.
19 Nov 2014, 21:48 PM

The reason why it seems so much better is the kat can deal massive damage to a blob at max range In the first set of rockets, and if your caught by it your gonna get hit by 2 waves before the retreating infantry are out of it.

in contrast to panzerwerfer's max range all rockets will fall on a area and barely scratch a blob, its not uncommon for when ive fired on a 1919 para or rifle blob all rockets fired on target - 3-8 kills.

The frustrating part is if it was a kat truck it most likely would of squad wiped something and gotten 12+ kills on a sizeable blob.

When I build a kat truck it almost always feels worth it, When I build a panzerwerfer I regret it half the time, Because the fuel would of better been spent on a tank.

At max range, it's a bit luck based. I've shot things with my kat at max range and never killed anything, I usually get my best performance from both of these when I'm move them up a little and get a smaller spread. Werfer feels more manueverable so it seems easier to do that. Also, when a wefer launches, your only hope is to retreat right when you hear it.

I agree that the wefer's placement in the tech tree is a pretty big hinderance. Costs a lot of fuel to just be able to build it. I think when it used to be a lot stronger, it made sense, now I'm not so sure.
21 Nov 2014, 05:10 AM

After some testing with both the Pwerfer and Kat some interesting results came up:
(Testing was vs 6 squads of sov infantry (Werfer) and 6 squads of Wehr infantry (Kat) sets of 10, and vet with a different set of 10. We retreated after first barrage connected with kat. Had a ATG and a mortar on both sides. Both Kat and Pwerfer were fired at max ranges)

The pwerfer seemed to kill more models, But the damage it dealt was very random. its high was 17 kills in one barrage and as low as 2. Furthermore it was very bad at causeing wipes only 1 out of 10 (ATG) (Average 7-11)

(Vs 1x maxim 1x mortar 1x ATG 2x Scripts 1x Shocks)

To be fair with the Kat truck we retreated after first barrage connected.
(Most players will only take 1 set of rockets before hitting T)

Even so Kat truck at max range got a wipe almost 50% of the time and 90%! during the vet 2 tests, Sometimes getting 2 wipes on the first rockets.
Kat trucks high was 14 kills and its low was 3. (Average 6-8)

(This was vs 3x Gren 1x Pgren 1 ATG 1 Mortar)

While the kat killed less models, It wiped squads at a very consistent rate.
Vet 2 seems to be a huge increase to both kat and pwerfer's damage due to the accuracy buff.
Vet 3 just increases the range. Spread at max range at vet 3 proved to be similar to that of vet 2 at max range.

Since AA came out it probably broke the replay, So if any are still interested in how these units interact ill re-do the tests again and post results from Test 2.
23 Nov 2014, 11:16 AM

At the end of the day I feel like just reduceing it's scatter a bit so it doesn't suck as bad at max range might be just the way to go.

Moving it to T3 isen't gonna happen, upping its damage is not gonna happen as well.

I still maintain it should have effectiveness at max range when the kat dose and has higher max range.

Stuka is just better all around, but that's a different discussion.

+1

Well I play both soviet and ostheer. And I can kill 50+ using a Katyusha in a 40 mins match. But I can only kill about 20 models using a werfer in a 50+ minites game generally.

Today I just used werfer, without sight, using the first 3 barrages, it only killed 3 soldiers lol... How bad the werfer is!
23 Nov 2014, 11:23 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Nov 2014, 21:48 PMZeaviS

At max range, it's a bit luck based. I've shot things with my kat at max range and never killed anything, I usually get my best performance from both of these when I'm move them up a little and get a smaller spread. Werfer feels more manueverable so it seems easier to do that. Also, when a wefer launches, your only hope is to retreat right when you hear it.

I agree that the wefer's placement in the tech tree is a pretty big hinderance. Costs a lot of fuel to just be able to build it. I think when it used to be a lot stronger, it made sense, now I'm not so sure.

No you are wrong. Katyusha can do alot. I can kill 50 soldiers at max range with katyusha. Katyusha is more accurate than werfer. And kat's rockets have tight scatter distance. Reducing the scatter maybe make werfer more effective.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★