Login

russian armor

New infantry grouping

17 Nov 2014, 21:27 PM

At first I was somewhat concerned about the change but after playing a number of games I have to say I like it. Like Akula said it makes units like the Brumbar and Pack Howie a whole lot more useful.
20 Nov 2014, 02:52 AM
20 Nov 2014, 18:00 PM

Yesturday i got 7 (yes, seven) ober-squads wiped in a single 2 vs 2 game from full health by an ISU hidden in the fog. Much rage were had.
20 Nov 2014, 18:41 PM
Donator 11

I have a half remembered concept from coh1 that grenades actually did more damage to units in green cover where grenade is on their side of the cover (due to contained blast) but thinking about the aoe mechanics this probably isn't true.

A reduction in damage In yellow cover I think would be fair but doesn't this happen anyway or do grenades ignore it?
20 Nov 2014, 18:41 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

DAT MVP Puma.

20 Nov 2014, 18:47 PM

I think mg 42 and maybe all other MGs except kubel should get a buff to suppresion when units are in green cover.
21 Nov 2014, 03:44 AM
Patrion 28

and that completely defeats the purpose of cover.

grenades are supposed to do full damage to units in cover as a method of countering units in cover. buffing suppression against units in cover is fucking retarded. or are you being sarcastic?
21 Nov 2014, 03:49 AM

All grouping problems would be fixed if they made yellow cover take less damage from explosives, and made it so that troops kept 1m from each other instead of trying to morph with each other to create an abomination.
21 Nov 2014, 17:28 PM

I am getting more and more enraged about this change for each match i play. Today i fought an american. Everything was going pretty good, it was an even match. I did lose my sturmpioneers to an early surprise nade but recovered and had the grip on him.

Unfortunately a sherman rolled in and with its first shot wiped a 5-man, 4-star volkssquad, he then proceeded to steamroll me and wiped out 3 of my 4 remaining squads (1 Ober and 2 vetted volks) with his HE shots. Everyone was fully manned and full on health. After that it was a short downhill struggle to oblivion.

Am i doing something wrong? How do i keep my men from being squadwiped by HE-rounds? Am i supposed to reatreat the second i see a sherman or i think a scott is hiding in the shadows and pray to god he doesn't follow me into the base?

How do you guys handle this new mechanic?
21 Nov 2014, 17:35 PM

I am getting more and more enraged about this change for each match i play. Today i fought an american. Everything was going pretty good, it was an even match. I did lose my sturmpioneers to an early surprise nade but recovered and had the grip on him.

Unfortunately a sherman rolled in and with its first shot wiped a 5-man, 4-star volkssquad, he then proceeded to steamroll me and wiped out 3 of my 4 remaining squads (1 Ober and 2 vetted volks) with his HE shots. Everyone was fully manned and full on health. After that it was a short downhill struggle to oblivion.

Am i doing something wrong? How do i keep my men from being squadwiped by HE-rounds? Am i supposed to reatreat the second i see a sherman or i think a scott is hiding in the shadows and pray to god he doesn't follow me into the base?

How do you guys handle this new mechanic?

I've had similar experience as well.

This is especially destructive for OKW which relies on keeping vetted units alive.

I'm playing soviets until Relic introduces "skirmish formation" or cap on AOE damage on single squads (like Warcraft3).
21 Nov 2014, 17:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Nov 2014, 17:35 PMRupert

cap on AOE damage on single squads (like Warcraft3).

sort of off topic but could you describe this cap you're referring to?
21 Nov 2014, 21:47 PM

If your units get wiped by grenades then it's only because you lack the micro to dodge them.
Faster unit response brought more control back to the players.
So many players complain about RNG in this game. A grenade was and is always a potential wipe.

If you get tunnel vision, don't bind your squads to keys or play without sound you deserve that wipe.
22 Nov 2014, 12:31 PM

If your units get wiped by grenades then it's only because you lack the micro to dodge them.
So many players complain about RNG in this game. A grenade was and is always a potential wipe.

If you get tunnel vision, don't bind your squads to keys or play without sound you deserve that wipe.

It's not just grenades. Scotts and for example ISUs can snipe a full squad from the fog of war without you even knowing he is there. When decapping flags this is particularly dangerous because he doesn't even need to scout. It has nothing to do with micro.
22 Nov 2014, 13:17 PM

It depends on which kind of grenade is flying at your units. Grenade which use Shock Troops has pretty decent AOE and reaction time at this game is still not as it should be.
22 Nov 2014, 15:46 PM

How much would increasing the health of infantrymen protect them against area of effect damage like tank shots? What would happen if infantry health and small arms damage (to keep infantry vs infantry combat as it is) was doubled?
23 Nov 2014, 00:46 AM

How much would increasing the health of infantrymen protect them against area of effect damage like tank shots? What would happen if infantry health and small arms damage (to keep infantry vs infantry combat as it is) was doubled?

Grenades and Mortars would no longer kill full health infantry on direct hit, S-Mines / PMD-7 Mines would take 4 "hits" to kill, AI Tanks like the T-70 or Ostwind would become worthless, and even heavy AI Tanks like the Sturmpanzer and Bulldozer would become about as effective as a normal tank is now, while a normal tank will become about as effective as a Panther is (without MG upgrade). Basically it'd destroy the entire damage economy :P
23 Nov 2014, 19:42 PM

sort of off topic but could you describe this cap you're referring to?

In Warcraft 3, the total AOE damage possible by a single source is capped at a certain number.

What I'm suggesting is that AOE damage should be capped per SQUAD.

Example : A Conscript has 6 models of 80 hp each, making it 480 hp. But if the models are clumped, a single 80 damage grenade will wipe it. Lets say we cap the grenade damage to 300. Even if the models are very close, at least 2 would survive. Or maybe 3 would survive with less hp on each model. Calculation can vary, but you get the idea.
If it was a grenadier squad, with effective health of 320, would probably leave a single model with 20 hp by the 80 damage grenade.

Of course this is capped by squad, so if a single shell/grenade hits multiple squads it should deal damage to both squads without being capped.

It might take a step back from realism but with appropriate numbers it shouldn't be that bad, and make the game less prone to RNG-induced stress without touching the anti-blobbing power of AOE weaponry.
23 Nov 2014, 22:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Nov 2014, 19:42 PMRupert
What I'm suggesting is that AOE damage should be capped per SQUAD.

This is a very good idea.
24 Nov 2014, 07:43 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Nov 2014, 19:42 PMRupert
Example : A Conscript has 6 models of 80 hp each, making it 480 hp. But if the models are clumped, a single 80 damage grenade will wipe it. Lets say we cap the grenade damage to 300. Even if the models are very close, at least 2 would survive. Or maybe 3 would survive with less hp on each model. Calculation can vary, but you get the idea.

Maybe a % of total max health instead, but the way you suggest it would benefit larger squads over smaller squads every time. For Conscripts, that would leave 180 health, which is 2 full health models and 1 at 20 health, or 3 models at 60 health if it leaves them even. But for Grenadiers, that would leave only 20 health, which is less than 2 rifle hits. In the end, you'd be wiping 4 man squads a lot more often than 6 man squads, which would become more durable.
24 Nov 2014, 09:05 AM

Maybe they could implement a new command that when issued will tell your units to spread out. Like double tapping stop will make the unit stop and spread out so far apart between models. Hopefully this would help with grenades and reward players for microing their setup mg or capturing squads to avoid mortars.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★