Login

russian armor

MG's in houses suck

23 Aug 2014, 11:05 AM

Honestly, this is more of a complaint than a discussion, since I know this will persevere anyways.
MGs in houses suck. They take way to long to do anything. I've had countless situations where i slapped myself in the face after setting up a mg in a house, and 2-3 enemy squads run towards the house and the mg is uncapable of shooting and gets killed.

Dont you feel the same way?
23 Aug 2014, 11:17 AM

I am hoping you have tried both Maxim and .50 cal before you posted this? Both HMG perform quite well. The two MG series have a much too long set up time in buildings, but their wide range makes up for it.

Edit: Don't shove German MG in buildings.
23 Aug 2014, 11:21 AM

I find all MG's bad, but of course mg34 and 42 are by far the worst. I simply think it is silly that a house is the worse choice for a mg to set up than outside.
23 Aug 2014, 11:36 AM

I find that MGs aren't as easy to set-up as people think. If you set them up in obvious spots, then the enemy can adapt and move around them. I love my MG34s, but I have found through more and more play that:
1. Setting them up in houses is worthless (Allied MGs in houses are awesome).

2. Covering their flanks is important(make sure they are either in an unapproachable corner or have a unit near their rear).

3. MGs do need to be baby-sat, but can yield awesome results.

The last point is a big one, a lot of people just throw an MG on a commonly used approach and forget about it for the rest of the game. MGs need some micro love too, but if you give them some they can make it up to you in droves of pinned and dead bodies.

For example: I find that MGs are almost a must for OKW against Soviet shocks. The kicker though is that shocks have smoke grenades, so you need to be aware and move your MG to a new angle or move it back to re-pin the shocks. Pinned shocks are a turkey shoot, they can't get into that deadly close range and become a nice amount of XP for any of your nearby units.
23 Aug 2014, 11:40 AM

I am hoping you have tried both Maxim and .50 cal before you posted this? Both HMG perform quite well. The two MG series have a much too long set up time in buildings, but their wide range makes up for it.

Edit: Don't shove German MG in buildings.
It actually works if you tell have a grenadier nearby to draw some fire first then let the MG face the proper direction by telling him to attack the target.
23 Aug 2014, 12:38 PM

German MGs suck in buildings as they take too long to redirection, Maxims however are a real threat inside them. One more reason why the unit is so popular.

If we even want machine guns inside buildings (a question that has to be asked, since a lot of so called counters don't even work properly the bigger the building is), one step into making German machine guns inside them useful would be to make you be able to set manually where the Machine gun should face towards, also outside of combat. Currently you have no control whatsoever. Alternatively give the Machine gun faster redirection speed while inside a building (Maxim for some reason already has bigger firing arc than outside of buildings afaik).
23 Aug 2014, 13:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Aug 2014, 12:38 PMgokkel
German MGs suck in buildings as they take too long to redirection, Maxims however are a real threat inside them. One more reason why the unit is so popular.

If we even want machine guns inside buildings (a question that has to be asked, since a lot of so called counters don't even work properly the bigger the building is), one step into making German machine guns inside them useful would be to make you be able to set manually where the Machine gun should face towards, also outside of combat. Currently you have no control whatsoever. Alternatively give the Machine gun faster redirection speed while inside a building (Maxim for some reason already has bigger firing arc than outside of buildings afaik).
Either one would be good. I would prefer setting the MG's direction though, but if the latter then it would still make sense since the crew would just lift it up and put it at another window instead of packing it up and stuff.
23 Aug 2014, 13:19 PM

Its german mgs that suck,why i don't know..because historically germans were master users of mgs in buildings.Mxims are the worst pain in the ass in buildings.
23 Aug 2014, 17:25 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I think that MGs use reload speed to move from one side of the building, so you could actually use bulletins to improve the movement inside a building.

Anyway, it´s easy to just dance arouond any MG inside a house, or shoot it from a side without windows.
Maxims are more efficient due to more men, faster relocation and wider range once inside.
23 Aug 2014, 17:29 PM

MG dancing is easier than vCoH. Only the Maxim performs adequately due to it's repositioning time, otherwise it's just better to setup outside and wire off the flank.
23 Aug 2014, 17:44 PM

But why the disparity?Maxim's arc disadvantage is removed in buildings..then why it retains advantage?
23 Aug 2014, 17:53 PM

Its german mgs that suck,why i don't know..

elchino is correct. mgs are forced to reload every time they switch windows. this makes the allied mgs much better in buildings.

reload speed in seconds:

50 cal: 3-4
maxim: 4
mg42: 6
mg34: 8

by the way, mg42 incendiary rounds cut its reload in half for the duration of the ability, so that can help in a pinch.
23 Aug 2014, 18:28 PM

Edit:
23 Aug 2014, 18:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Aug 2014, 18:07 PMKatitof

The quote by PQ, a balance dev.
Is that enough reason for you or you need CEO of relic to explain it to you?

Another redundant post.Why should maxim have its disadvantage removed..while retaining its advantage?
While mg 42 retains its disadvanatage and gains no advantage....cheap stuff.
But i guess ur happy..u can stick ur 6 man maxim in houses with merge ready closeby and win in urban maps.Really buzz off if u don't have a proper answer.
23 Aug 2014, 19:37 PM

i think you should be able to face the MG after putting it in the house. Thats my main annoyance with it. it takes so long to realize it needs to face a new direciton, then after they start moving the mg to a new window it takes a long time to get it set up, and by then theyre gettting toasted.
24 Aug 2014, 06:33 AM

You can target specific unis from buildings, right? At least the game makes it seem like you can. Click on a building with an MG in it, right click on an enemy unit, and it will fire at it. This seems to work, though it can sometimes be hard to tell which squad they're actually targeting.

I wonder how this works when the enemy unit is not in range. If another one of my units is giving me sight on an approaching enemy infantry squad and I click the building, then right-click the enemy squad...will they at least face in the right direction (even though they can't shoot yet)?
24 Aug 2014, 06:58 AM
Patrion 27

MG's are intentionally bad in garrisons. this is a design choice by Relic and I think it's a good one. If you want to garrison use LMGs as they have very short set up time and great DPS.

The 10% faster reload bulletin affects MG window refacing time. Of course this isn't referenced anywhere in game by Relic because they insist on being enigmatic about how their game actually fucking works.
24 Aug 2014, 07:01 AM

MG's are intentionally bad in garrisons. this is a design choice by Relic and I think it's a good one. If you want to garrison use LMGs as they have very short set up time and great DPS.

The 10% faster reload bulletin affects MG window refacing time. Of course this isn't referenced anywhere in game by Relic because they insist on being enigmatic about how their game actually fucking works.

Then the intention failed for maxims..coz maxims shine in buildings.I guess the design was partial to soviet.For m2hb with tiering and price its acceptable ,but why this same price a-move maxim that has its only weakness removed get such a bonus is beyond me.
24 Aug 2014, 08:22 AM

One way to improve the current situation would really be to be able to control the MG inside the House, like which direction to face, which squad to attack.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 11
unknown 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment